BANNED

Default Am i the only one who wants to see Disney do Spider-man ?

I know, I know Sony owns the film rights to Spider-man, but what about the TV rights...Surely Disney with its vast animation department can do a Spider-man story for TV audiences, right ?

Am I really the only one who wants to see one of the greatest animated companies in the world do a story for one of Comics' iconic individual superheroes and its mythos ?

Just this once to see what would happen when Mickey Mouse meets Spider-man ?

Who here agrees with me on this ?

And if you disagree, then that's okay too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I know, I know Sony owns the film rights to Spider-man, but what about the TV rights...Surely Disney with its vast animation department can do a Spider-man story for TV audiences, right ?

Am I really the only one who wants to see one of the greatest animated companies in the world do a story for one of Comics' iconic individual superheroes and its mythos ?

Hmm...The Ultimate Spider Man and marvel Spider-Man cartoon on air right now are Marvel Disney productions. The best Spider-Man cartoon is Weisman's Spectacular Spider-Man and that was produced by Sony.

As for crossover, well the Disney character with the greatest comics history and most comparable to Peter and his world is Donald Duck. Parker Luck is nothing compared to Donald Duck's misfortune

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Hmm...The Ultimate Spider Man and marvel Spider-Man cartoon on air right now are Marvel Disney productions
    And what a load of bollocks they are.

BANNED

Hmm...The Ultimate Spider Man and marvel Spider-Man cartoon on air right now are Marvel Disney productions. The best Spider-Man cartoon is Weisman's Spectacular Spider-Man and that was produced by Sony.

As for crossover, well the Disney character with the greatest comics history and most comparable to Peter and his world is Donald Duck. Parker Luck is nothing compared to Donald Duck's misfortune
    Hmm...I thought the Marvel Animation department is separated from the Disney animation department... ??

Plus...Peter and Donald is almost similar to Howard the Duck and Peter Parker...I mean why else has the two of them have more meetings than ever in recent comics.

BANNED

Hmm...I thought the Marvel Animation department is separated from the Disney animation department... ??
    Well said department was created by Disney as its own arm and run by Marvel under Disney. When Disney bought Marvel the understanding was that Marvel would run as before and would not be a problem that Disney would solve for them. That happened with the MCU where Feige got Disney to divest MCU from Marvel proper. But Marvel animation and TV has heavy involvement from Quesada and Jeph Loeb. It would be cool to see superhero cartoons as good as the 2017 Ducktales and Gravity Falls admittedly.

Plus...Peter and Donald is almost similar to Howard the Duck and Peter Parker...I mean why else has the two of them have more meetings than ever in recent comics.
    Donald Duck is pretty different from Howard. He is also a more universal and influential character in comics than Howard and for that matter Spider-Man.

The problem of Disney and Spider-man is that spiderman is such an iconic superhero that they don't really have to give him the best animated show. People already know him, why up the animation (along with the cost) when they can get almost the same in toy sales from cheaper animation. They're target demographic are kids, from 7 to 12. I can't see older fans being ever satisfied by Disney animation tackling spiderman's mythos or story arc with that in mind. (But that's just my pessimistic side talking.)

My optimistic side is saying hell yeah, I'm all for Disney taking a serious crack with Spider-man.

I think ironically the Sony produced animated Spider-Man fare on TV and the big screen has been better produced and more prone to taking risks than the safe blandness of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and to a lesser extent the 2017 show. Disney's Spider-Man shows haven't really been able to appeal to anyone besides the target demographic of young boys, not like the Spider-Verse movie which has that universal appeal and fundamental understanding of the Spidey mythos. I think the best things are able to appeal to everyone without feeling like it's talking down to audiences like most of Ultimate did. The 2017 show isn't bad, but it hasn't really left a mark one way or the other so it's just there to fill the need for a Spidey television show. Seriously, is anyone talking about that show lol?
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 01-20-2019 at 02:18 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    The problem of Disney and Spider-man is that spiderman is such an iconic superhero that they don't really have to give him the best animated show. People already know him, why up the animation (along with the cost) when they can get almost the same in toy sales from cheaper animation. They're target demographic are kids, from 7 to 12. I can't see older fans being ever satisfied by Disney animation tackling spiderman's mythos or story arc with that in mind. (But that's just my pessimistic side talking.)

My optimistic side is saying hell yeah, I'm all for Disney taking a serious crack with Spider-man.
    That might be how Marvel see it. Disney not so much. See the 2017 Ducktales reboot. It's got a richness and density comparable to Batman TAS and a great take on Donald. They always take care that core properties are given the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    The 2017 show isn't bad, but it hasn't really left a mark one way or the other so it's just there to fill the need for a Spidey television show. Seriously, is anyone talking about that show lol?
    That show was basically outshined by practically every other Spider-Man related thing that came out last year.

The long hiatus probably hasn't helped.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I think ironically the Sony produced animated Spider-Man fare on TV and the big screen has been better produced and more prone to taking risks than the safe blandness of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and to a lesser extent the 2017 show. Disney's Spider-Man shows haven't really been able to appeal to anyone besides the target demographic of young boys, not like the Spider-Verse movie which has that universal appeal and fundamental understanding of the Spidey mythos. I think the best things are able to appeal to everyone without feeling like it's talking down to audiences like most of Ultimate did. The 2017 show isn't bad, but it hasn't really left a mark one way or the other so it's just there to fill the need for a Spidey television show. Seriously, is anyone talking about that show lol?
    That show hasn't set the ratings on fire and on Disney's channels it compares poorly to the Ducktales 2017 reboot .

And that show's portrayal of Miles and Spider-Gwen, as peers and colleagues of a teenage Peter was so fundamentally wrong...it's a decision that ruined all three characters in one go. And now Into the Spider-Verse has given us Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen close to how the comics represented them, maybe a little better, and it's won the Golden Globe and is set up to win the damn Oscar and a bunch of kids who saw those characters don't have a cartoon showing that version of Miles on TV...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That show was basically outshined by practically every other Spider-Man related thing that came out last year.

The long hiatus probably hasn't helped.
    At this point they should just cancel it after Season 2. It had the misfortune for being prepared and produced in a period that it saw as a status-quo but then by the time it hit Season 2 a whole host of stuff happened...the Spider-Man PS4 game became a much bigger deal than this cartoon did, Into the Spider-Verse became a much bigger deal, Slott stepped down and Nick Spencer took over and with that the whole Horizon High and other concepts Slott introduced went on a backburner and fell away...

So it's just this rapidly dated thing.

iMan 42s

Which basically speaks to the problems of the show as a whole doesn't it? There wasn't a game-plan for it at least long-term anyways and it doesn't seem like anybody really cared it was happening more than it just had to happen.

Just hit the right buttons and eventually it'll work. Venom, Superior Spider-man, Miles, movie synergy. Except when the show doesn't really give a **** then why should the audience?

I'm almost curious if the animation being as bad as it is/was was due to it being filler. If true it wouldn't surprise me.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Well Disney isn't so good at super-hero stuff. (nor Star Wars stuff by the way).
    And I don't remember their last good 2d animated movie. Because a 3D spider-man, no thanks.

At this point they should just cancel it after Season 2.
    All signs point to the show coming to a close with season 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I'm almost curious if the animation being as bad as it is/was was due to it being filler. If true it wouldn't surprise me.
    I mean, the quality of animation for all the current Marvel cartoons is fairly lackluster. I don't think it had anything to do with filler status.

Between Sony or Disney..it really don't matter the company as much as the team working on the productions and what they can do legally, financially, and time factors.

More important is the team/people working on such shows and ideas. The company pays the bills (plus Disney also has a cruise ships and a few parks (minus WDW) possible presence for Spider-man) but who they hire then in turn what that team hired decided to try and eventually make is all that matters. People on animation teams work on both Disney and Sony and other company productions all the time.

Spectacular Spider-man (Sony) team was headed by the same people that also did Gargoyles (Disney).

Any aspects to consider is while the team hired by either one can draw upon past works from the Spider multiverse or make new ideas and stories and character versions or a mixture of the two. Always starting with ideas original or inspired in some forms then move onwards to story, character selected, new characters made, charazations, designs, character journeys, story execution, visual imagery, how it's shot/animated, style, voice acting, ect. The executives might hire the people who form the team or hire a few people then those people hired the team they are working with, try their best, come up with ideas and rough work and studies. Pitch to the executives then the executives say yes or no (no try agian or no we won't be pursuing this any further) or yes but with there own info or hopes.

Now to make good animation and a good animated show you need not just good stories but COSTLY animation that also takes time to make. You can get creative and figured out a stylish and story way to cut cost yet not sacrifice quality possibly. I heard Spider-Man:Enter the Spider-verse was 12 frames per second while many other animated shows or movies can go to 21/30 frames per second. The 12 frames help with time and money but they made it work by making a comicbook/art style that fit it. Usually for a character like the Spider heroes you image dexterny and flipping and so forth action that usually requests a very high frame rate.

In the past animation companies save money by reusing animation all the time (Old School Scooby Doo). Disney/Eisner took a HUGE COSTLY gambled with Ducktales ordering and paying for having frame rates similar to the top animated movies. It was a huge risk that paid off and later Batman and Animaniacs continued pushing foward. Gargoyles was a unexpected type of animated show from Disney but one constant was the risk taking and hard work and ideas from the team making these shows.
    However shows are not made for 'the art form' alone. It's a entertainment industry. INDUSTRY. Huge risks can pay big or break a company. Plus how things were done have changed in terms of viewerships.
    For television advertisements and merchandise is how the company gets paid and in turn pays their employees. In the past people had 3 channels but in time now we have so 1000+ and other ways to have media including now internet and other streaming services that is still fairly new for companies and learning how to make the most of them.

Animation blocks of the past are DEAD. Dilution and the spread of content makes thing more difficult for Disney and other companies to sponsor or ad time for shows. Animaniacs died because they have TONS of ADULT viewers. The advertisers were paying for 'kids' to be watching and pulled ads and money when those numbers wasn't showing up in the same ways.

Now Disney is about to buy all of Foxes content but the sports and news part. Disney also is preparing and putting tons of money and a high gamble on 'Disney+'. For a Spider show (Gwen, Miles, Peter, ect) it could be possible on could feature on the Disney Channel (which never sees the same viewership possibilities like a mainstream channel like 'ABC' would have that one time had Saturday Morning cartoons and afternoon animation blocks but animation blocks were no longer seen as financially functional) and another on exclusive to 'Disney+'.

Sony would not just have to pay the bills for a show but find a network of some kind to showcase it. Many show pilots get made but never come to be for one reason or another unable to sell to a network and in return the network sells to advertisers.

With the praise and hopefully success of Spider-Man: into the Spider-Verse plus still making more movie where MCU Peter will show (that mutually benefits Disney and Sony in various ways) I know that a Spider presence show will always be due to being a great chance of lower financial risks vs brand new shows and characters people are not somewhat familiar with.
    For Disney the animation shows I heard good things about or seen and loved has been: Gravity Falls (gone now), Ducktales (a reboot/new universe that many adore), and Star vs the Forces of Evil.

A Spider show if another version comes along (or possibly the current 'grows the bread' in the nick of time) based on the recent movies I feel even if a Peter remained as the main character the other characters such as Miles and Gwen has a good shot returning and being superheroes in newer versions also (Gwen of the recent one was a temporary superhero and I wasn't a fan of how they handle her and direction of choices when she had spider powers like no secret identity). Due to time and how people are being introduced to characters Gwen has a HUGE range of directions her character can go for writes making new shows (in the comics she has tons of different charazations and skills in the Multiverse plus in the past she was only the love interest of Peter who died with the 616 version but now Gwens can live, be a superhero herself, and be a Parker, Miles, or neither love interest but good friend). Miles can be the same age as Peter or be younger (same age as in this current show and the new IDW comic where Peter, Miles, and Gwen are the same young age and all three are superheroes and focusing not on science but reporting while 616, ps4 game, and the Sony movie has a Peter older and Miles younger and Gwens in variations if shown). It use to be that for Peters newly created cast wise we would ONLY see one love interest for him and not any others but I wouldn't be shocks that due to recent diecertions a new version of Peter, Miles, and gwen could go in multiple direction with instead of the Gwen, MJ, Peter love triangle we could have a Peter, Miles, and Gwen love triangle then comes in MJ.

I wouldn't mind if a love interests possible of 'MJ and Gwen' to twist things up (mainly as I'm just so tired of the two gals hoping for one guy situations in shows and I'm a fan of both so if the two gals were also open for each other and than that same old love triangle was then a 'true love triangle' that can move in either or possibilities of two ways vs one direction I would be more fascinated by that but based on recent comics if that did show up yet Gwen was also a superhero then poor MJ would often find herself alone when both of her love interests disappear all the time when trouble brews). Odds of that is extremely little so odds are if new versions of Peter, MJ, Miles, and Gwen things would probably be setup if the team decide to have interests and personal drama into the show that it would be Gwen/Miles and Peter/MJ. Then of course you have the possibilities of other characters and well... theriers a lot of variations or new directions that are open.

But outside of 'Disney+' if shown on a TV channel the consent is the hired team has 21 minutes to make and tell a story in per episode and the odds are it's going to be a show you don't have to watch in order for the most part or else you might be lost if you missed or saw out of production order. If placed exclusively on 'Disney+' then the episodes could be longer than 21 minutes (not forced by time blocks and advertising placement time slots that regular tv channels content are forced into) plus having a organized structure where one episode can lead to the next.

I feel that if Disney was going to make a new version/Multiverse Spider hero show I would hope to hear 'Disney+' mainly as I know Disney has high hopes for the service they are making and thus might be more willing to take a bigger gamble and money on a Spider show hoping to spend money for higher frame rate and quality work that in return will draw in viewers to pay for their service to see such a show (and others on that service) but Disney might not be motivated to spend money the same way for a show on Disney Channel that doesn't have the same viewer presence like the past 90's animation blocks had on mainstream channels thus harder to sell for advertisers to pay for the ad slots in the show plus the odds of spending tons of money on a high gamble for the Disney Channel with the odds for a lower long term returns plus making back that money put in and profit. But still may the budget be small or large the team hired will have the biggest impact and I feel they will try their best with what they have and can and cannot do many they be hired by Sony or Disney to make ideas and important choices going forward.

You have started a few threads about similar questions over the years.

https://community.cbr.com/search.php?searchid=7290164

As for the question, Disney does decent animated films, but Into the Spiderverse might just be the best animated superhero film ever, so I see no reason to jump from Sony.

As for TV, I'm not really familiar with Disney's current cartoons. I would like to see a PG-13 animated series where they could tell Spider-Man's story without ridiculous censorship, excessive childishness, or swinging too much in the other direction (IE- the MTV cartoon's ban on Aunt May/ Jonah)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets