Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Yes they would. Bane is the kind of guy you would see Nightwing fighting even if Batman is around. He's definitely never significantly used as a JL threat.

How good YJ is at turning z-listers into interesting characters isn't really what I'm talking about. I'm just saying, if there was a JL show around they wouldn't refuse to let YJ use the likes of Bane. There've been plenty of JL shows around and I don't think any of them even had a Bane specific episode.
    Well that's what restingvoice was getting at, he's stating that a JL show will have the first right over almost all the concepts YJ is utilizing. Bane doesn't have to show up to terrorize the entire JL for instance. He can be part of sone anti-JL group as Batman's counterpart.
    Whose going to be Dick's counterpart in YJ in that scenario? Blockbuster? Shrike? LOL. If Manta and Lex fight Arthur and Clark then just who exactly are Kaldur and Kon supposed to go against? That's the difference.
    Last edited by Armor of God; 01-22-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Astonishing Member

Batman's counterpart is Joker in any of those big team up situations. If not him, then usually Ra's. Those might've been good examples. Bane's way down the list.

Dick would probably get Deathstroke, who's a big character in his own right and intricately tied to Dick and the Titans.

I'm not completely disagreeing with the overall point that concurrent shows in the same universe would probably have DC repeat the consistent mistake they make where they put all love and focus on the "main" superheroes and **** on the next generations, I was just raising my eyebrow at Bane as an example.

Bane has never, in any real way, been a major villain on a scale bigger than Batman's corner of the universe. There've been many JL shows before YJ where Bane was never a big deal if ever showing up at all. Bane wasn't even a big deal in most of Batman's shows. Batman's, like, 5th most important villain is not in the same breath as Darkseid or any number of actual JL villains.

Bane's about as street level as it gets, too. Like, directly and surely, by all definitions, he's a street level villain. There is nothing wrong with this, just not the right conversation for him to pop up in.
    I mean, again, that wasn't really the kind of character Bane was when he was originally envisioned.

Most of his appearances just reduce him to a more basic, overly-strong, thug which was not the kind of character he was under Dixon.

The closest we've had to that Bane in a media adaption is anytime he's voiced by JB Blanc (Arkham Origins, Telltale).
    Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    So they seem much better in season 3 so far, (though I haven't watched as many episodes as have been released) but in seasons 1 and 2, the Justice League is... not my style. And frequently incompetent. Many or most of the heroes on the team make fairly ludicrous errors in judgment that just bother me. Superman is emotionally immature enough that he's not even capable of going to Superboy and saying "Huh. We... I guess we should talk, shouldn't we?" Then in season 2 when he's got the relationship with Kon going, this lame-brained excuse for a Superman, when confronted with an alien bomb that others can't defuse because it might go off, chooses not to take a look at it with his power to see through solid objects, but instead to yell at people he knows don't speak English, in English! Idiot! And then he blames himself for their failure to evacuate the blast radius! Which he should! It's a pretty glaring freaking mistake! Superman's the worst offender to me but there are others. Green Arrow messes up not getting Roy back, J'onn lets M'gann take over the training simulation, Captain Atom comes across as kind of a doofus in general, Captain Marvel for some reason insists on comporting himself like an immature kid in his adult form, even though as Billy he comes across as waaay more mature, and the League as a whole makes the pretty glaring mistake of not telling anyone about the Watchtower, whose only result ever is that people find out about it and then don't trust them as much.

In other words, unless the League's apparent step-up in Season 3 is really comprehensive, I don't even want a show about this version of them. They mostly just exist to either impede or aid the Team, who get all the spotlight, most of the competence, and whose incompetent moments are excused by the facts that they're kids, and that as the protagonists, they grow and learn from their mistakes much faster than the League, who get less development since their main role is to get out of the Team's way.
    I don't really see much of an improvement in season 3 to be honest.

I mean, the one time we see the League on a mission in season 3, fighting Sportsmaster and Abra Kadabra, the only League members who actually accomplish anything are the ones who were previously on the Team (Kaldur and Rocket).

BANNED

Batman's counterpart is Joker in any of those big team up situations. If not him, then usually Ra's. Those might've been good examples. Bane's way down the list.

Dick would probably get Deathstroke, who's a big character in his own right and intricately tied to Dick and the Titans.

I'm not completely disagreeing with the overall point that concurrent shows in the same universe would probably have DC repeat the consistent mistake they make where they put all love and focus on the "main" superheroes and **** on the next generations, I was just raising my eyebrow at Bane as an example.
    Um usually Ra's? You do realize that YJ is the only show that has Ra's as the Batman counterpart. Its normally Joker yes but Riddler, Scarecrow, Catwoman,Bane etc have all taken that position.
    When was the last time Dick got Deathstroke in anything? The character is more intricately tied to Damian and even Batman these days. I dont really buy it.
    What he meant by Bane was that he's a major villain, street level yes but famous, recognizable and popular street level villain. Besides they just had Shiva murder Ocean Master so even this distinction is rather pointless.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, we need a Justice League show set in the YJ universe.

Plus a Bowhunters action sitcom.

Plus a Superfirends-Rugrats hybrid featuring all the toddlers and newborns we have now.

Plus a G. Gordon Web series.

In fact, just give Greg Weisman ALL THE MONEY and resources for the DC Universe service, and let him cut lose.

Then put him in charge of the comic storylines, with veto power over whatever murder-happy story Didio wants to push this week.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    So they seem much better in season 3 so far, (though I haven't watched as many episodes as have been released) but in seasons 1 and 2, the Justice League is... not my style. And frequently incompetent. Many or most of the heroes on the team make fairly ludicrous errors in judgment that just bother me. Superman is emotionally immature enough that he's not even capable of going to Superboy and saying "Huh. We... I guess we should talk, shouldn't we?" Then in season 2 when he's got the relationship with Kon going, this lame-brained excuse for a Superman, when confronted with an alien bomb that others can't defuse because it might go off, chooses not to take a look at it with his power to see through solid objects, but instead to yell at people he knows don't speak English, in English! Idiot! And then he blames himself for their failure to evacuate the blast radius! Which he should! It's a pretty glaring freaking mistake! Superman's the worst offender to me but there are others. Green Arrow messes up not getting Roy back, J'onn lets M'gann take over the training simulation, Captain Atom comes across as kind of a doofus in general, Captain Marvel for some reason insists on comporting himself like an immature kid in his adult form, even though as Billy he comes across as waaay more mature, and the League as a whole makes the pretty glaring mistake of not telling anyone about the Watchtower, whose only result ever is that people find out about it and then don't trust them as much.

In other words, unless the League's apparent step-up in Season 3 is really comprehensive, I don't even want a show about this version of them. They mostly just exist to either impede or aid the Team, who get all the spotlight, most of the competence, and whose incompetent moments are excused by the facts that they're kids, and that as the protagonists, they grow and learn from their mistakes much faster than the League, who get less development since their main role is to get out of the Team's way.
    There is nothing emotionally immature about not wanting to talk to a clone that was created from your DNA without your knowledge or consent. The truth is Clark doesn't owe Connor anything. He didn't ask for him and he isn't actually his son. He is not responsible for him just because he shares some of his DNA.

As for the thing with the aliens and the bombs. 1) Even if he can look at it, how would he be able to defuse it? and 2) The aliens had opened fire on him impeding his ability to help them.

And there's a difference between the League being incompetent and not being the main focus of the story. Much of the time when we see the League they actually are being effective.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, again, that wasn't really the kind of character Bane was when he was originally envisioned.

Most of his appearances just reduce him to a more basic, overly-strong, thug which was not the kind of character he was under Dixon.

The closest we've had to that Bane in a media adaption is anytime he's voiced by JB Blanc (Arkham Origins, Telltale).
    Great, glad we could come to an agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Um usually Ra's? You do realize that YJ is the only show that has Ra's as the Batman counterpart. Its normally Joker yes but Riddler, Scarecrow, Catwoman,Bane etc have all taken that position.
    When was the last time Dick got Deathstroke in anything? The character is more intricately tied to Damian and even Batman these days. I dont really buy it.
    What he meant by Bane was that he's a major villain, street level yes but famous, recognizable and popular street level villain. Besides they just had Shiva murder Ocean Master so even this distinction is rather pointless.
    Tower of Babel is kind of an obvious one. Bane doesn't have a Tower of Babel, does he?

Lazarus Contract? Deathstroke is a TITANS character, which includes Teen Titans. So in any situation where there is a Teen Titans or Titans or Young Justice style show, Deathstroke will be suited for it. That will very frequently include Dick. The TT cartoon had an entire arc about Slade and Dick being nemeses. I don't even know why in the world you're arguing this. But yes, Damian has also been tied at the hip to Deathstroke recently but...how does that preclude Deathstroke from being a major option to be a nemesis to Dick and his team in Teen Titans related shows? That's the point of this conversation. You don't seem to be really disagreeing with it, but just coming up with another strawman argument to annoy me with.

Bane is not a major villain. Being recognizable has to do with being related to Batman and nothing else. Not all of Batman's villains are JL level threats. Joker is rarely treated as a JL level threat (outside of team situations like Legion of Doom, where the team is the threat, or REALLY corner case scenarios like Emperor Joker) and he's the most recognizable comic villain in the world. Most of Batman's villains don't threaten the JL because they're street level. They tend to stick to the Batman/Tec/Other five million Batman spinoffs corner of DC (though I freely admit that's changed a bit recently, with King and Snyder both constantly shitting on the JL in Batman/Batman related media). Batman's been more of a threat to the JL more often than his own villains.
    Last edited by Dred; 01-22-2019 at 10:47 PM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yes, we need a Justice League show set in the YJ universe.

Plus a Bowhunters action sitcom.

Plus a Superfirends-Rugrats hybrid featuring all the toddlers and newborns we have now.

Plus a G. Gordon Web series.

In fact, just give Greg Weisman ALL THE MONEY and resources for the DC Universe service, and let him cut lose.

Then put him in charge of the comic storylines, with veto power over whatever murder-happy story Didio wants to push this week.
    Don't know if you're kidding or serious, but I'd be down for that!
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Honestly, there isn't anything that spectacular about the YJ universe outside of the fact the show is really quality in terms of character designs, writing, and animation. I don't think it's so much that anyone really wants a JL show set with these particular interpretations of characters with this particular world's setting and backdrop, as it is people just (a) want a JL cartoon that looks this good, (b) wants a JL cartoon that utilizes more obscure and lesser characters and villains as well, and (c) just wants an ongoing JL cartoon because we haven't had one in well over a decade since JLU ended. So you say you want a JL cartoon in YJ-verse, when really you probably just want any ongoing JL cartoon period and maybe have a fondness for the visual style and aesthetic of the YJ show and possibly the quality of writing rather than any real need for the JL to be playing in that particular version of DC. Because honestly the JL DTV movies just aren't enough to get our JL fix, and the writing quality there has really suffered since they felt the need to New 52 it.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 01-22-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Honestly, there isn't anything that spectacular about the YJ universe outside of the fact the show is really quality in terms of character designs, writing, and animation. I don't think it's so much that anyone really wants a JL show set with these particular interpretations of characters with this particular world's setting and backdrop, as it is people just (a) want a JL cartoon that looks this good, (b) wants a JL cartoon that utilizes more obscure and lesser characters and villains as well, and (c) just wants an ongoing JL cartoon because we haven't had one in well over a decade since JLU ended. So you say you want a JL cartoon in YJ-verse, when really you probably just want any ongoing JL cartoon period and maybe have a fondness for the visual style and aesthetic of the YJ show and possibly the quality of writing rather than any real need for the JL to be playing in that particular version of DC. Because honestly the JL DTV movies just aren't enough to get our JL fix, and the writing quality there has really suffered since they felt the need to New 52 it.
    There have been JL cartoons like JL Action or whatever but not in the same serious vein.

There have been JL cartoons like JL Action or whatever but not in the same serious vein.
    Yeah, I forgot that even existed. Well, as you said it wasn't as serious as the previous JL shows or YJ, and I think like with other action shows CN went out of its way to kill it dead.

Great, glad we could come to an agreement.
    I guess...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I think there's probably some truth to this.

Although to be fair the Justice League in the animated movies really only seem to be around to get taken down by the villain-of-the-month so the actual star of the movie they're in can save the day. Luthor even made a joke about it in Death of Superman .