Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Tom King+Mitch Gerad To Write/Draw Mister Miracle

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...racle-man.html

-12 Issue Mini
    -Taking inspiration from Morrison's Darkseid from his JLA run

Oh man that's gonna be one beautiful book.

I know nothing about any of these characters but I couldn't be more excited for this.

Finally announced!

So unbelievably hyped for this.

I never thought of Mister Miracle as Jesus before, but it makes sense now that I think about it. Just when I thought I knew everything about the fourth world. This mini is going to be great.

Edit: So would Barda be Mary Magdalene?
    Last edited by Overhazard; 05-12-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Looks good.
    And for those looking for a connection to the Bug series, Jamie Rich is editor on both and Doom Patrol's Nick Derington did a variant cover.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I'm still very excited about this, but annoyed that King seems to be deliberately writing off people who don't share his particular political fears. I'm glad he's trying to be artistic and complicated, but...this is about the Trump era? And deliberately referencing the obsession with painting the Reagan years as a dark dystopia like Moore and Miller did?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Always Rakzo

Well, this should be more fitting with King's style.

Although his "style" can be so predictable at this point that you pretty much know what kind of writing he's going to bring here (Seriously, the First. Frikking. Page. from that preview has the all so lovable repetition that is so prevalent in his works).

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I'm still very excited about this, but annoyed that King seems to be deliberately writing off people who don't share his particular political fears. I'm glad he's trying to be artistic and complicated, but...this is about the Trump era? And deliberately referencing the obsession with painting the Reagan years as a dark dystopia like Moore and Miller did?
    I don't even like Trump, I think he's a complete idiot who doesn't have the proper skills or common sense to lead a country but this whole trend of writers becoming borderline extreme liberals as a response and constantly bashing the guy and everyone connected to him is getting tiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Well, this should be more fitting with King's style.

Although his "style" can be so predictable at this point that you pretty much know what kind of writing he's going to bring here (Seriously, the First. Frikking. Page. from that preview has the all so lovable repetition that is so prevalent in his works).

I don't even like Trump, I think he's a complete idiot who doesn't have the proper skills or common sense to lead a country but this whole trend of writers becoming borderline extreme liberals as a response and constantly bashing the guy and everyone connected to him is getting tiring.
    I actually generally really like the repetition. It feels poetic. Each instance has added layers of meaning (usually - I'm not really seeing the point of the "Stand up" stuff yet).

I hate Trump (as a conservative), but I have friends who like him, and they are not evil. I'm tired of artists trying to paint people I know are not evil as the most scummy horrible people on earth.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Mighty Member

I am of two minds. On the one hand, King is the writer. On the other hand, more polemicomics?
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I never thought of Mister Miracle as Jesus before, but it makes sense now that I think about it. Just when I thought I knew everything about the fourth world. This mini is going to be great.

Edit: So would Barda be Mary Magdalene?
    I thought Orion was the Fourth World's Jesus.

This definitely seems like the kind of thing King would excel at, and Gerards art looks amazing. I never knew about the religious allegories involving the New Gods, but it's fascinating to see that elaborated on and what King seems to be doing with it here .

It's also interesting seeing DC do something that seems like a response to the current political climate in the world as we know it right now. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to how Marvel is doing it.

So I'm guessing this is just going to ignore pretty much everything regarding the New 52 New Gods?

You could tell just from the preview alone that this is definitely a Tom King comic .

I was wondering when Barda would wake up and grind Orion into paste over him beating Scott. That put-down was just as good .

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I know nothing about any of these characters but I couldn't be more excited for this.
    The Fourth World was a group of titles Jack Kirby created in the early '70s for DC: Forever People, New Gods and Mister Miracle.
    When Kirby left Marvel, DC offered him the chance to write, draw and edit his own books.
    His ideas of replacing the Asgardians after Ragnarok (which was teased in an issue of Thor, but shot down because by that time Marvel had changed into an IP factory after their first licensing deals and Marvel Time was introduced in 1968), was fleshed out and became DC's New Gods.
    The books were energetic and colorful, full of youth counter-culture and hyperbole, with a very polished Kirby art style that had only been tempered by years of experience at Marvel.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Yeah I'm loving this.

I suppose I understand concerns about writers getting too political, but I'd rather them write what they feel rather than try to put their creativity through some kind of political filter.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I suppose I understand concerns about writers getting too political, but I'd rather them write what they feel rather than try to put their creativity through some kind of political filter.
    Totally! I don't expect creators to cater to me or conservatives or...anyone but the stories they have to tell. But it feels like two things are happening in the last few years that really bother me. 1) That people who aren't completely on board with the writer's personal political beliefs aren't just different, but evil (see also: Bloom, in Snyder's Superheavy), and 2) writers are deliberately catering to their demographics with increasingly preachy comics. King is a better artist than those, but I don't see any sense in his interviews recently that he is interested in readers who disagree with him on these specific issues.