Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Endgame and Shazam are chasing money from the same subset of people.
    Hmm. I haven't seen anything suggesting SHAZAM! is targeting the same audience as Endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    But Shazam's trailers were lighthearted and were seen as enjoyable by most people, it's not like the trailers sold the film as dark and serious like BvS. People always say they want DC to make lighter more humorous movies then when they do they don't support them. Shazam being an unknown hero probably played a part in it's opening not being as high as some thought it would be. Aquaman may have been famous for being the butt of the joke but he was famous nonetheless. That clearly helped in his movie making over $1.1b. Likewise Suicide Squad having Joker, Harley and Batman helped at the box office despite bad reviews.
    I said enjoyable, not necessarily fun. BUT ... my opinion here ... for modern DC ...

Batman Begins looked enjoyable and it was. This is a tone they should use.

Dark Knight looked enjoyable and it was. Not something to be emulated.

Watchmen looked enjoyable and it was. Not something to be emulated.

Third Nolan film looked terrible and I wanted to like it but didn't.

Man of Steel looked enjoyable and it mostly was. It ended on a good tone to base a universe on.

BvS looked like 3 movies to me and it ended up being a confused mess.

JL looked like hot garbage and it was.

Wonder Woman looked enjoyable and it was. This should be a tone they run with.

SS looked promising but ended up being terrible.

Aquaman looked like trash and it ended up being better than it had any right to be but it wasn't a film that could save their DCEU. It was a mixed bag like MoS. A step in the right direction.

Shazam looked looked enjoyable and it was. This, like WW, is a tone they should copy.

Joker looks enjoyable.

I think DC suffers from bad editing and taking the grimdark as an universal truth.

The later is gone I hope. Grim and gritty is fine for parts of movies or some characters but not everyone. Marvel plays with genres in their movies, DC characters are more suited for that than Marvel and it's a shame they tried to give a bunch of characters the same tone.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Darla proved that, once again, the best part of any show is the black girl.

Just got back. Lots of fun.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-06-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Taking a quick look Shazam is tracking at 54 million domestically this weekend(with all the advance screening the number is 57 million), Pet Cemetery is at 24 million ,Dumbo 18 million, Us 14 million, Captain Marvel 12 million. Shazam is doing quite impressive 54 is more than half its budget. I don't think Hellboy is going to cut that much into that maybe it does something like Pet Cemetery when it opens. Shazam should do pretty good these next two weekends

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Just got back from a nine o'clock showing with the family. We had a great time! This movie is the cure for Zack Snyder-ish grim dark. It was a light-hearted romp that was unafraid to have an old fashioned moral core about the importance of family. Loved it lots. I think my Shazam uniform would be deep purple. Honestly, I haven't seen a flick like this since the 90's. I miss this type of delightfully corny superhero movie.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    As long as people are willing and able to spend the time and money.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Yeah, that's the thing: People act like this MARVEL vs DC thing is real past internet forums like this, and reddit. It's not. Joe "lol comics" will go see both movies if they interest him. Obviously, the Avengers is going to do a lot of repeat business (because they always do. I don't know anyone who doesn't see those movies at least twice at the theaters), but the existence of End Game doesn't de-incentivize people to check out Shazam.

It's 2019. There is no rivalry. Only die-hard dorks are pushing this narrative, and I wish they'd take a break.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Not bad. Did about like ant-man. Doing good in china.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4501&p=.htm

At the top of the box office, Warner Bros.'s release of New Line's Shazam! delivered just above expectations with an estimated $53.4 million for a cumulative total that stands at $56.7 million once you add in grosses from the late March, Fandango special event. The film was well received by critics and opening weekend audiences alike, the latter of which giving the film an "A" CinemaScore with males making up 57% of the crowd and 55% of the opening weekend audience coming in aged 25 years or older.
    Looking ahead, Shazam!'s debut isn't too far behind Marvel's Ant-Man ($57.2m opening). Ant-Man went on to deliver a 3.1x multiplier in 2015, which is just ahead of the average multiplier for a film in the DC Extended Universe. This would suggest Shazam! could be looking at a $160+ million domestic run should word of mouth give it an assist over the coming weeks ahead of the April 26 opening of Avengers: Endgame.

Internationally, Shazam! generated an estimated $102 million from 79 international markets as the film opened day-and-date in virtually all overseas territories outside of Japan, where it will open on April 19. Leading the way was a $30.9 million opening in China followed by Mexico ($6.2m), UK ($5.3m), Russia ($5.2m), Brazil ($5.1m), Indonesia ($4.1m), Korea ($3.9m), Australia ($3.4m), France ($2.8m), Taiwan ($2.7m), Thailand ($2.2m), Malaysia ($2m), Italy ($2m), Spain ($1.7m) and Germany ($1.4m). The film's overall worldwide debut comes in a $158.8 million.

Yeah, that's the thing: People act like this MARVEL vs DC thing is real past internet forums like this,
    I know people who think batman and Spider-Man are owned by the same people and venom, X-Men and Deadpool are mcu films!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-07-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Not bad. Did about like ant-man. Doing good in china.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4501&p=.htm

I know people who think batman and Spider-Man are owned by the same people and venom, X-Men and Deadpool are mcu films!
    My step dad asked me when Wolverine and Batman were gonna team up one time. And hes a huge Hulk fan going back to the TV show. So he knows all these heroes names but he never got into the company aspect of it. And hes a little on the dumb side.

Saw Shazam and I liked it about as much as WW but not quite as much as Aquaman. Good time

Fantastic Member

Recently saw the Shazam movie on Blu-ray. I have only a dim familiarity with the comic, and I thought that would help somewhat - given that I wouldn't go into the movie with any preconceived ideas.

Well, I thought the movie was just...OK, but had the potential to be a lot better. Parts of the film were great, but I felt that, as a whole - it fell flat:

- I did really like the Shazam origin & character; he was comedic, and IIRC this was similar to how the character was depicted in the comic. It was also cool how he was discovering his powers for the first time, which was also very funny. One of my favorite scenes was when he was "testing" his powers with the two criminals in the convenience store; after they emptied their weapons into him (per his request, though they would have done it anyway - ha ha) - he wrapped them both up in Christmas lights, and threw them out the plate glass window - LOL.

-Going along with the above, hilarious scene when he was showing off for an audience, and his lightning bolts ended up causing an accident re: the tire of a large bus blowing out on a busy highway. So, Shazam had to save a lot of people as the bus fell from the overpass...when it was his fault the accident happened in the first place - LOL.

-The foster children group home; the solidarity they had/felt with each other & with the foster parents was very touching/poignant, and I liked the emphasis on the importance of family (even if it's not a biological family). Going along with this, the kids being transformed at the end & becoming Shazam-like heroes themselves was great - and, again, just re-emphasized their solidarity/working together - in this case, to defeat the monsters.

-The seven deadly sins monsters - very horrific, with an intentional?! horror film vibe/tone.

-Liked the reference to one of my favorite '80's films "Big" (1988), when Shazam was fighting Savina in the toy store, and they briefly (and unintentionally) ran/walked on the big piano keys.

-The PA winter/holiday setting.

Dislikes:

-The "mad scientist" Savina was a terrible villain. Very uninteresting visually (sunglasses, an "evil eye", and an overcoat - very bland); and, though he was threatening, I felt he was an extremely poor choice for a bad guy. In fact, I felt he was the one "weak link" in what would otherwise have been a decent film.

In any case, I feel that the film would undoubtedly have been far better if they had used one of Shazam's many other more threatening villains from his rogue's gallery, or just created one for the film.

So, essentially Shazam was a film I really wanted to enjoy - but was, IMHO, marred by a poor choice for a villain. I had a similar issue with the first Wonder Woman film (2017).

Side-note: It was amusing - and possibly intentional - to have the Shazam film released around the same time as MU's Captain Marvel film.... when the Shazam character was originally called Captain Marvel back in the day - LOL.