Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I wonder if Pet Sematary will put a crink in Shazam's box office. So far it's got a 91% RT review on 34 reviews so I think it will finish fresh. People seem to love their horror. Plus it's a reboot of sorts so nostalgia might take away some dollars although it's basically a family film vs horror.
    I'm excited for both films, for me this is going to be the biggest marathon weekend for widely released films since last Christmas season.

I expect Paramount and Warner will be happy with their own results, I wish they could have made a spot where Billy has to turn into Shazam to watch Pet Sematary, and even after that he still has to cover his eyes.

I really don't think Pet Sematary will be an enormous hit because even the original wasn't a blockbuster. It only made $58 million worldwide. I think any horror fans out there are more focused on Us at this point.

There's a lot of competition out there, but I think fresh IP that's good will generally do better than sequels and remakes. Just look at the way Wonder Woman and Aquaman not only overcame the polarizing reactions that the DCEU brand has, but completely trounced all their competition. I'm pretty confident that Shazam will be the THIRD time a DCEU movie does the same.

I'm always a bit bearish when predicting box office for superhero movies except guaranteed slam dunks like Endgame, but I really do think Shazam will win the April box office. How well it can do once Avengers arrives is an open question, but I think it will continue to do better than any other April movie.

Literally EVERYONE I've heard talk about the movie is excited to see it. Literally EVERYONE I've heard who HAS already seen it is crazy about it. It's every other movie that should be worried about Shazam, not the other way around.

Quite frankly, I think Warners underestimated Shazam's appeal until the reviews started coming in. Otherwise, they would have held off until Summer because I think this movie would have exploded in August the way GOTG did -- especially since it's in question as to whether New Mutants will actually come out on its current August 2 release date.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 03-29-2019 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I really don't think Pet Sematary will be an enormous hit because even the original wasn't a blockbuster. It only made $58 million worldwide. I think any horror fans out there are more focused on Us at this point.

There's a lot of competition out there, but I think fresh IP that's good will generally do better than sequels and remakes. Just look at the way Wonder Woman and Aquaman not only overcame the polarizing reactions that the DCEU brand has, but completely trounced all their competition. I'm pretty confident that Shazam will be the THIRD time a DCEU movie does the same.

I'm always a bit bearish when predicting box office for superhero movies except guaranteed slam dunks like Endgame, but I really do think Shazam will win the April box office. How well it can do once Avengers arrives is an open question, but I think it will continue to do better than any other April movie.

Literally EVERYONE I've heard talk about the movie is excited to see it. Literally EVERYONE I've heard who HAS already seen it is crazy about it. It's every other movie that should be worried about Shazam, not the other way around.

Quite frankly, I think Warners underestimated Shazam's appeal until the reviews started coming in. Otherwise, they would have held off until Summer because I think this movie would have exploded in August the way GOTG did -- especially since it's in question as to whether New Mutants will actually come out on its current August 2 release date.
    I don't think Pet Sematary is any threat to Shazam given they're mostly different audiences but I think Pet Sematary will do well the book is popular and the original film made 58 million in 1989 on a 11 million budget it did good flops and underperformers don't get sequels it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

I agree but Endgame does open the end of April right? And people are predicting 800m first weekend. So I think Endgame might still win April. But yea I see Shazam beating other movies running like Dumbo and Hellboy for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I agree but Endgame does open the end of April right? And people are predicting 800m first weekend. So I think Endgame might still win April. But yea I see Shazam beating other movies running like Dumbo and Hellboy for sure.
    Oh, of course Endgame will technically be the biggest April movie, but since it comes out at the tail end of April, I'm really only discussing the pre-Endgame April movies.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

It's crazy to me, this whole movie season.

Shazam! and Endgame are by far my highlights, but the options we have had and will have over the next 30-60 days is crazy.

Back to Shazam!, I really hope it does well at the box office. It's so tough being sandwiched between Captain Marvel and Endgame, then sprinkle in all these other movies that are out. It won't need much since it's on an $80-$90 million budget, but the more the merrier. And it looks like such a great movie and I haven't read a single bad thing about it from people who went to the pre-screenings.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post

Shazam! and Endgame are by far my highlights, but the options we have had and will have over the next 30-60 days is crazy.

Back to Shazam!, I really hope it does well at the box office. It's so tough being sandwiched between Captain Marvel and Endgame, then sprinkle in all these other movies that are out. It won't need much since it's on an $80-$90 million budget, but the more the merrier. And it looks like such a great movie and I haven't read a single bad thing about it from people who went to the pre-screenings.
    I think its gonna suprise people how well it does.

Mighty Member

CM will be over 90% done by The time SHAZAM opens it won’t be a problem.

IT'S OFFICIAL: SHAZAM HAS BEEN CERTIFIED FRESH AT ROTTEN TOMATOES!

Now, let's see if the movie will outperform its current opening weekend estimates of $48 million.

Shazam is the 2nd DCEU film to be Certified Fresh at RT.

Since even CBR hasn't reported it yet as of this writing, I thought I'd be the first to share the great news!
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 03-30-2019 at 08:48 AM.

I don't care what RT says. I care about what general audiences and most fans say. I hate how much power people give that site, including studios and filmmakers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I don't care what RT says. I care about what general audiences and most fans say. I hate how much power people give that site, including studios and filmmakers.
    I'm not sure RT has any power. Just a lot of notoriety. And that's just because it's an easy reference point for a broad understanding of what professional critics think about any given movie.

RT sort of shot itself in the foot, though, by including the reviews of non-professionals, and giving bloggers and fans-with-YouTube resources like Grace Randolph more or less equal recognition with people like Roger Ebert, people who really understand film and story and editing and acting at a different level.

Astonishing Member

I think Billy is going to beat the **** out of Hellboy. Too bad Shazam didn't open on President's Day long weekend. This movie looks damn fun. Wish some way he could have teamed up with Cavill. Hope he's in the Justice League film.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I'm not sure RT has any power. Just a lot of notoriety. And that's just because it's an easy reference point for a broad understanding of what professional critics think about any given movie.

RT sort of shot itself in the foot, though, by including the reviews of non-professionals, and giving bloggers and fans-with-YouTube resources like Grace Randolph more or less equal recognition with people like Roger Ebert, people who really understand film and story and editing and acting at a different level.

It comes down to it simply having influence over some.
    I know of several people who choose what they're going to see only after glancing at the RT scores. Personally, I only look to watch trends on RT but I have never solely used RT and/or its scores as deciding factors on whether I'm seeing a movie or not. At that point you're just letting other people decide things for you.

Also keep in mind that studios/movies are plastering the certified fresh image and the scores on commercials now as part of the promotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I think Billy is going to beat the **** out of Hellboy. Too bad Shazam didn't open on President's Day long weekend. This movie looks damn fun. Wish some way he could have teamed up with Cavill. Hope he's in the Justice League film.
    I don't know, we'll see. I don't think I'm seeing this Hellboy in theaters as I personally would've preferred they finished a trilogy with Perlman and Del Toro and then rebooted in a few years. But, I'm already seeing Shazam!, Endgame, Godzilla, and probably Detective Pikachu through May so I'm needing to be a little picky for time and money's sake.
    Last edited by Wandering_Wand; 03-31-2019 at 05:08 AM.

It comes down to it simply having influence over some.
    I know of several people who choose what they're going to see only after glancing at the RT scores. Personally, I only look to watch trends on RT but I have never solely used RT and/or its scores as deciding factors on whether I'm seeing a movie or not. At that point you're just letting other people decide things for you.

Also keep in mind that studios/movies are plastering the certified fresh image and the scores on commercials now as part of the promotions.

Everything you said, especially the last part. Studios and filmmakers give that site more power when it goes their way. Personally, I go by the trailers and word of mouth of people I know.

Have all the review embargoes for Shazam been lifted? If not, which ones have so far? I'm wondering why we haven't seen Shazam reviews on CBR or Newsarama?