Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    I think this will be a hit in theaters while Dumbo will get diminishing returns as i dislike these pointless live-action remakes of Disney animated films which are just moneygrabs
    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Lots of movies are just moneygrabs, including Shazam.
    But to churn out endless live action remakes of beloved animated movies especially sounds like Disney is just doing it for the money rather than displaying any originality. What does a live action version
    of an animated classic give you that the animated version didn't. What is the point of an inferior terrible looking Will Smith genie when we already have the beautiful Robin Williams genie?

Do you already dislike Shazam?
    There was never any beloved animated movie version of Shazam! Yes, there was animation that included Shazam! But none of them can be considered classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    But to churn out endless live action remakes of beloved animated movies especially sounds like Disney is just doing it for the money rather than displaying any originality. What does a live action version
    of an animated classic give you that the animated version didn't. What is the point of an inferior terrible looking Will Smith genie when we already have the beautiful Robin Williams genie?

There was never any beloved animated movie version of Shazam! Yes, there was animation that included Shazam! But none of them can be considered classics.
    Alot of people felt like jungle book added alot to the story it was not note for note a remake. And Dinsey and Pixar have still given us plenty of new classics over the last 15 years. I absolutely love Zooptopia and Moana,Inside out,Wreck it Ralph etc.... not so much Frozen lol

O agree though if Lion King comes out it just a photo realistic version of the original it's pointless. But if like Jungle Book it does more of it's own thintlg and develops some characters more I'm all for it. I'd love to have mufasa and scars relationship worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Alot of people felt like jungle book added alot to the story it was not note for note a remake. And Dinsey and Pixar have still given us plenty of new classics over the last 15 years. I absolutely love Zooptopia and Moana,Inside out,Wreck it Ralph etc.... not so much Frozen lol

O agree though if Lion King comes out it just a photo realistic version of the original it's pointless. But if like Jungle Book it does more of it's own thintlg and develops some characters more I'm all for it. I'd love to have mufasa and scars relationship worked out.
    But they aren't really live action anyway. They are CGI animation. So Disney is just substituting traditional animation for CGI animation for something like Lion King or Dumbo with a few actors thrown in the mix.

But they aren't really live action anyway. They are CGI animation. So Disney is just substituting traditional animation for CGI animation for something like Lion King or Dumbo with a few actors thrown in the mix.
    Lion king yea, but the actual environment is gonna be real aswell or atleast some of it. Doesnt matter anyway aesthetically it still looks way different just look at jungle book and how different it looks then the cartoon. You give me a different visual and add to the story I dont see the problem and the fact is alot of people want this. They want to see they're childhood updated and brought to live again. Sure Disney is cashing in but its equal parts cashing in and Giving people what they want. With that said what they need to do is gargoyles now. With the amount of CGI in these movies I dont see Gargoyles being an issue.

Edit: Just realized we in Shazam thread. Back to the topic. Anyway yea saw it reported Black Adam is staring in his own movie coming. In 2021. Whch yea before Gun came on he was in SS2 and then he was rumored to be the bad guy in a MoS2(maybe never gonna happen) and originals he was suppose to be in Shazam but when the Rock chose to be Black Adam they decided to not include him iono why maybe not to overshadow Billy. But yea I mean he can be a Antihero at times so a Black Adam movie could work. I'd love a period peice and let the rock get another stab at a scorpion King era movie.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 02-12-2019 at 02:04 PM.

BANNED

I quite enjoyed the live-action Maleficent; it gave a different viewpoint on the story.

The Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast were a "hey, we can do that with CGI technology nowadays". If you think a Beauty and the Beast live action could have been made in 1991 the way it was in 2017, would they have even made the animated version? How about Jungle Book 2016 vs. 1967?

The movies are making money, so obviously some people are getting something out of them. Just because you aren't doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. The world doesn't revolve around you (funny, ain't it?).

And if the gripe is that Disney is just remaking their classic animated movies into live-action, then they're not "endless"; Disney's only made a finite number of animated films.

Plus...its not like Disney has full-stop quit making original productions.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 02-12-2019 at 03:44 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Edit: Just realized we in Shazam thread. Back to the topic. Anyway yea saw it reported Black Adam is staring in his own movie coming. In 2021. Whch yea before Gun came on he was in SS2 and then he was rumored to be the bad guy in a MoS2(maybe never gonna happen) and originals he was suppose to be in Shazam but when the Rock chose to be Black Adam they decided to not include him iono why maybe not to overshadow Billy. But yea I mean he can be a Antihero at times so a Black Adam movie could work. I'd love a period peice and let the rock get another stab at a scorpion King era movie.
    I think one of the best ways that DC can distinguish their movies from Marvel is by not having the origin story villain be an evil copy of the hero. Virtually every Marvel film has done this. Man Of Steel did this. BvS kinda sorta did it though there wasn't a Batman doppleganger. Wonder Woman did not really go this route, and that really worked in its favor.

I think had Black Adam been in SHAZAM! it would have really hurt the originality. Plus Black Adam just isn't the Lex Luthor or Joker for this hero. It's always been Sivana. My only concern from some of the promo stuff is that they might essentially make him someone who can go toe to toe with the big red cheese, thus essentially turning him into the evil version of the villain.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 02-13-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I

And if the gripe is that Disney is just remaking their classic animated movies into live-action, then they're not "endless"; Disney's only made a finite number of animated films.
    Yup People don't realize they are making pretty much the classic it is not like they are break out the The Fox and the Hound, The Aristocats and The Sword in the Stone. They got couple more than others already in production then the trend pretty much ends Little Mermaid, Pocahontas, Bambi... and maybe couple more years Moana and Frozen. It is not like they making Lilo and Stitch or Emperors new groove live action( I would watch a live action Lilo and Stitch tho)

Mighty Member

Retired

What happens if SHAZAM! is a big hit and they want to make a sequel? Do they inject Asher Angel with a drug so he doesn't age?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What happens if SHAZAM! is a big hit and they want to make a sequel? Do they inject Asher Angel with a drug so he doesn't age?
    they film the sequel asap. They probably need to recast with a younger actor if they plan more movies in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I thought they had already decided for a second movie with Black Adam (The Roc) as the villain?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I thought they had already decided for a second movie with Black Adam (The Roc) as the villain?
    Naw supposedly Adam getting his own film. I'll believe it when I see it though

If this is a big hit they need to film Shazam 2 and 3 back to back. But for that to happen we need this to be a smash hit. Or Billy just got older but it loses alot of what makes it unique if Billy isnt a kid. Maybe have Billy pass it to another kid and have him be captain thunder
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 02-26-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

SHAZAM on track for a 48 Million Dollar Weekend. That seems rather MEH! to me.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/02/28/...ons-2019-dceu/

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    SHAZAM on track for a 48 Million Dollar Weekend. That seems rather MEH! to me.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/02/28/...ons-2019-dceu/
    I don't know if it'll be that low, but I can't see an opening weekend larger than $60 million unless the hype machine gets cranked up during March. It's entirely possible, but I haven't seen a gigantic push for the movie thus far. I'm thinking that it has a smaller marketing budget given that its production budget was around $90 million.

If the movie can get to $200 million domestic, it'll have made back its production budget. Then the overseas portion that Warners gets can pay for marketing, etc. with plenty likely left over for profit.

I think if Shazam can get to $500 million worldwide, Warners will be more than happy. Post-theatrical ancillary revenues would just be more icing on the cake. If Shazam didn't have such a small budget, it would have been really stupid of Warners to release it in between Captain Marvel and Avengers.

I like the idea of below-$100 million budgeted movies. It will allow Warners to take more chances and still be profitable in today's ever-crowded all-blockbuster-all-the-time marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I don't know if it'll be that low, but I can't see an opening weekend larger than $60 million unless the hype machine gets cranked up during March. It's entirely possible, but I haven't seen a gigantic push for the movie thus far. I'm thinking that it has a smaller marketing budget given that its production budget was around $90 million.

If the movie can get to $200 million domestic, it'll have made back its production budget. Then the overseas portion that Warners gets can pay for marketing, etc. with plenty likely left over for profit.

I think if Shazam can get to $500 million worldwide, Warners will be more than happy. Post-theatrical ancillary revenues would just be more icing on the cake. If Shazam didn't have such a small budget, it would have been really stupid of Warners to release it in between Captain Marvel and Avengers.

I like the idea of below-$100 million budgeted movies. It will allow Warners to take more chances and still be profitable in today's ever-crowded all-blockbuster-all-the-time marketplace.
    I was about to chime in that 50m isnt that bad but this movie cost 200m to make? I was thinking a budget a little higher then deadpools. Oh the trailer doesnt show alot of crazy action but if the movie cost 200m to make I assume they just saving it all for the movie.

Regardless hope this does well. Its defiently a unique lane, and a great character. Hopefully we get to see Black Adam in a stinger but I've heard no rumors or rumblings so I'm not gonna hold my breathe. All the Praise to Billy and the Original Captain Marvel but I've always found Black Adam to be more enjoyable.