Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Retired

I thought the production budget was around 85 million. I'm surprised at the low expectations for the opening weekend. I would think north of 80 million.

There's no point in doing more promotion for the movie right now, with Captain Marvel getting all the attention. I expect that promotion will start to ramp up around the middle of March.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I thought the production budget was around 85 million. I'm surprised at the low expectations for the opening weekend. I would think north of 80 million.

There's no point in doing more promotion for the movie right now, with Captain Marvel getting all the attention. I expect that promotion will start to ramp up around the middle of March.
    I'm not super surprised at the low prediction given the minimal hype its getting. Still, keeping costs low might be a fiod formula. It doesn't have to make THAT much to justify a sequal.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm not super surprised at the low prediction given the minimal hype its getting. Still, keeping costs low might be a fiod formula. It doesn't have to make THAT much to justify a sequal.
    So I seen someone say 200m and someone say 85m whch is it? At 85m this movie is gonna make plenty of money. At 200m iono I'm less confident

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    So I seen someone say 200m and someone say 85m whch is it? At 85m this movie is gonna make plenty of money. At 200m iono I'm less confident

You misread Comic Reader Lads post on the previous page the $200 million figure was not the budget but a speculative domestic total.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yes, as I said in my earlier post, Shazam's budget was less than $90 million. It is $80-90 million according to Wikipedia.

I then said that if Shazam can get to $200 million in domestic box office, then it will have definitely made back its production budget and that Warners' share of the foreign grosses would take care of other expenses and leaving plenty of profit.

It seems that with Shazam and the Joker, Warners is trying out midpriced movies to reduce risk since the DC brand is polarizing. Once DC Films gets a string of successive hits that are also more widely loved by the moviegoing audience, we'll see if Warners sticks to sprinkling in lower budgeted movies with the blockbusters. I hope they do. Not everything needs a $200 million budget.

Astonishing Member

The Shazam trailer looked at times shot like a horror movie, unsurprisingly.

It didn't need a huge budget without a Zod sized brawl against Black Adam yet, apparently also being set just in a city.

Mighty Member

.... I haven't read the current incarnation of Sivana, not really. So it's interesting to see this total upgrade. It's pretty much Sivana in name only now compared to the 'classic' version. But hopefully Mark Strong does a good job with it.

trailer spoilers
    Uh, with the bus crash, for whatever it's worth, I hope nobody was on the bus besides the driver; there could have been a whole lot of injuries there (and, of course, at least one!). sheesh..
    ... he can casually cast lightning bolts now?
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 03-04-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Kevin conroy as batman’s action figure!!!
    CE669C1B-6066-4231-B30E-83E7C6D7B270.jpg
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

This second trailer finally properly sold me on this. It looks super fun.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Kevin conroy as batman’s action figure!!!
    CE669C1B-6066-4231-B30E-83E7C6D7B270.jpg
    sidebar: I have one of those Batman stand-ups. He doesn't talk, lol. The chest lights up decently if you have a good battery.

Retired

Personally, while I like Mark Strong--and I enjoyed him as Sinestro--I'd rather have had Jackie Earle Haley play Sivana. I think it works better if there's a contrast between the Big Red Cheese and the mad scientist, where one is big and bulit and the other is small and weird.

Here for it. Gonna burn some PTO that day.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

It looks very funny. Gives me a Goonies vibe. But this needs some real heart too, and some good action.

I think it will. Kids are going to love Shazam and his friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    .... I haven't read the current incarnation of Sivana, not really. So it's interesting to see this total upgrade. It's pretty much Sivana in name only now compared to the 'classic' version. But hopefully Mark Strong does a good job with it.

trailer spoilers
    Uh, with the bus crash, for whatever it's worth, I hope nobody was on the bus besides the driver; there could have been a whole lot of injuries there (and, of course, at least one!). sheesh..
    ... he can casually cast lightning bolts now?
    Hope that's part of the arc is him learning his actions have consequence. I mean hes a kid and just like Peter in Homecoming sometimes your gonna do the wrong thing and you cant always fix it. Cause yea anyone on that bus is not having a good day. Looks fun I'm still in