Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Nope. It has US, Dumbo, and Hellboy as real competition, Avenger Endgame would crush any hopes of a Billion but a Billion is a freakish number. It has 80 million(to 100 million) budget and should be an amazing success on a budget that low
    A billion may be a lofty goal, but I don't think those movies are going to be much competition. First of all, Us is going to have been out for two weeks before Shazam comes out, it's for a different audience too. Hellboy, again, an R-Rated movie is not the family film that this is. You have to remember, we're not the people that make these movies billion dollar tentpoles. While Hellboy is a movie that makes us take notice, I can actually see it being a flop unless it gets insane word of mouth.

But Aquaman was up against a lot more as a Christmas release. I could see Dumbo giving it a run for its money, but I think Shazam is going to be a hit. DC clearly believes in it by ending the embargo two weeks ago and setting up early showings. Again, I think a billion may be tough, but I think it'll have a great showing.

Dumbo is probably it's only shot at real competition.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    A billion may be a lofty goal, but I don't think those movies are going to be much competition. First of all, Us is going to have been out for two weeks before Shazam comes out, it's for a different audience too. Hellboy, again, an R-Rated movie is not the family film that this is. You have to remember, we're not the people that make these movies billion dollar tentpoles. While Hellboy is a movie that makes us take notice, I can actually see it being a flop unless it gets insane word of mouth.

But Aquaman was up against a lot more as a Christmas release. I could see Dumbo giving it a run for its money, but I think Shazam is going to be a hit. DC clearly believes in it by ending the embargo two weeks ago and setting up early showings. Again, I think a billion may be tough, but I think it'll have a great showing.

Dumbo is probably it's only shot at real competition.

First Week Shazam, Pet Sematary, 2 week of Dumbo, third week of Us,

Second Week Hellboy (Maybe Little or Missing Link with great reviews)

Third Week Nothing- Nobody wants to make money for one week then Avengers endgame smash it pieces

Fourth Week Avenger Endgame

I was talking about it reaching a billion,These films are more than speed bumps.These films will pull from its ability to make the most money it can. I will put it this way. What was in the theater with Captain Marvel for last two or three weeks? Pretty much nothing that is typically that is what you need for monster numbers. I expect Shazam to come away the overall winner in this period but stuff like Captian Marvel, Us, Dumbo, Hellboy, Pet Sematary is going to stop it from being a monster imo. Compare this with Avengers endgame which has nothing in the first week,Nothing in second week, Third week Detective Pikachu, Fourth Week John Wick 3, Fifth Week Aladdin. Avengers gets 3 weeks of nothing that will put a significant dent in box office. Shazam is going to do very very good but if Dumbo or Hellboy is actually good they are going cut into its numbers some. I don't see it running wild unless China numbers are crazy. I can 600 or 700 million though which is still amazing

Just saw this movie. Really good. Everything I want out of a superhero movie.

If you got kids take them to see. Hilarious family fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    Man, those are some rave reviews. Could this be another surprise hit like Aquaman? Another billion-dollar movie?
    It's waaaay better than Aquaman.

In spite of my skepticism that Shazam could reach $1 billion, we should remember that Shazam doesn't NEED to reach anywhere near $1 billion to be profitable.

It might not reach record shattering blockbuster numbers, but Shazam will be profitable and that means we get more Shazam movies. Hopefully, animated spinoff OVAs are also in the future as the world of Shazam is tailor-made for animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911
    First Week Shazam, Pet Sematary, 2 week of Dumbo, third week of Us,

Second Week Hellboy (Maybe Little or Missing Link with great reviews)

Third Week Nothing- Nobody wants to make money for one week then Avengers endgame smash it pieces.

Looking at this list, what's great is that the competition is really ho-hum for Shazam. Mostly remakes--Dumbo, Pet Sematary, Hellboy. Shazam's great reviews combined with the fact that the IP is new and fresh as far as movie audiences are concerned really give me confidence that it will win the box office wars.

Little is in the same vein as Zac Efron's 17 Again, which was not a big hit. As far as Missing Link is concerned, I'm actually a huge fan of Laika Animation's offerings. Their complex stop motion animation is nothing short of breathtaking. However, they have never been hugely successful at the box office. No Laika film has ever made more than $125 million WORLDWIDE.

Look, there are always other choices available to moviegoers so in that sense any movie could siphon ticket sales from any other, but I actually don't think these movies will steal Shazam's thunder. In fact, it's really the opposite as Shazam will prevent any of these movies from reaching its full potential.

Of the competition, it's Laika's Missing Link that I'll be most sorry to see underperform.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    In spite of my skepticism that Shazam could reach $1 billion, we should remember that Shazam doesn't NEED to reach anywhere near $1 billion to be profitable.

It might not reach record shattering blockbuster numbers, but Shazam will be profitable and that means we get more Shazam movies. Hopefully, animated spinoff OVAs are also in the future as the world of Shazam is tailor-made for animation.

Looking at this list, what's great is that the competition is really ho-hum for Shazam. Mostly remakes--Dumbo, Pet Sematary, Hellboy. Shazam's great reviews combined with the fact that the IP is new and fresh as far as movie audiences are concerned really give me confidence that it will win the box office wars.

Little is in the same vein as Zac Efron's 17 Again, which was not a big hit. As far as Missing Link is concerned, I'm actually a huge fan of Laika Animation's offerings. Their complex stop motion animation is nothing short of breathtaking. However, they have never been hugely successful at the box office. No Laika film has ever made more than $125 million WORLDWIDE.

Look, there are always other choices available to moviegoers so in that sense any movie could siphon ticket sales from any other, but I actually don't think these movies will steal Shazam's thunder. In fact, it's really the opposite as Shazam will prevent any of these movies from reaching its full potential.

Of the competition, it's Laika's Missing Link that I'll be most sorry to see underperform.
    I agree with you 500 million and above is great for a movie with Shazam budget. I am not picking these movies to outright beat Shazam. I just think they fairly good counter programming so to speak ,If they are good movies. They are specific niche and appeal to their own audience and could take some from Shazam in following weeks hurting its chances of being amazing aka "Comic fan saw Shazam last week let me see Hellboy" "The family saw Shazam lets us see Dumbo".

This was just as expected overall, not groundbreaking, went through the motions of a modern origin film, but also really fun. The slight surprises were that it was funnier than I thought it would be, a few moments that I would think would freak some kids out, and a hand full of cursing; particular variiations of the word "****". How many of those do PG-13's get?

Looks like it's confirmed there are after movie scenes!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Irony: decades ago, Fawcett comic books featuring Captain Marvel (Shazam) outsold DC comic books featuring Superman, prompting DC to sue Fawcett for infringement based on perceived similarities between Fawcett's star hero and DC's. The lawsuit effectively shut the SHAZAM franchise down for two decades, until after Fawcett tanked and had its properties (including SHAZAM) bought up by DC. Now, it is likely that the SHAZAM! movie will outsell the MAN OF STEEL (2013) film and save the DCEU.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Looks like it's confirmed there are after movie scenes!
    Oooh uh, yea they aren't that good. Especially the second one, which is just humorous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Oooh uh, yea they aren't that good. Especially the second one, which is just humorous.
    Why is that not good?

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Why is that not good?
    I say that just for people who stay through the long credits hoping for something big, but it isn't. You can still watch it of course, but just tempering expectations.

I think Warners was smart to do the Fandango previews a few weeks early to build up the buzz because frankly, the initial estimates of $48 million maximum for opening weekend weren't really that great. Even though, as I've said, that Shazam doesn't need a $100 million plus opening weekend, $48 million is just not a great headline-grabber, and hype plays an important part in stoking demand for a movie.

Now that we've heard all the early reviews, I can feel the hype for Shazam grow noticeably. In my LCS, the owner, who had been wishy-washy on DC movies is excited to see Shazam. He's said that he's hearing a lot of customers saying that they want to see it.

Just as Us has sailed past initial box office estimates, I hope Shazam does as well. The pre-buzz has helped DC Films in the past. Remember, Wonder Woman had pre-release tracking at $65 million before the reviews hit and Aquaman certainly benefited by the buzz from the big China debut. I think it would have been better for Shazam to open 2 weeks earlier in China also rather than day-and-date with America.

Maybe the hype will help Shazam open above $60 million -- preferably closer to $75 million domestically.

Right now, $60-70 million is my bet for how Shazam will open.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Just saw this movie. Really good. Everything I want out of a superhero movie.

If you got kids take them to see. Hilarious family fun.
    Question- looking at the Wiki page, I noticed that a few of the kids were cast twice- as kids, and as adults. Are we going to see the entire Marvel family?