Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That seems like double standards. If he is allowed to bleed onto comics, he should be allowed to do that anywhere. Why should batman and superman be given special privilege?
    King knows how to traumatize characters but he has no idea on how to have them overcome their trauma and become better. That works with certain characters(like Vision)but not every character is suited for that kind of story.

Ignoring the botched wedding, King's biggest weakness on Batman is that he's turned Batman into an ineffective and broken hero who can't save anyone, alienates his allies and makes Gotham City worse. Other writers have written Batman as 'broken' but despite being broken in those runs, he was still able to be a force for good. King's Batman is too hurt and broken to be effective.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thanatoskun View Post
    I really hate Lois, so I will tell a friend to buy it for me, and send it to me. It will be the first Superman comic I bought in months.
    You don’t have to like Lois but reveling in the brutal murder of a female character over and over again to the point that you appear to take glee in it is ::extremely:: disturbing and inappropriate. Seek help.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    It alternates between pages of Lois being killed with pages of him sitting there worrying. The opening page is by far the most graphic and disturbing. But there is another where you see the Joker laughing and Lois is off panel begging for Clark. There's a 9 panel grids of her being killed in each panel with one of her being burned alive. She's blown up by toyman and a plane crash kills her and Jimmy. Its 6 pages of her death and six of Superman waiting. At the end they talk on the phone and it's actually a decent conversation. But the whole thing is so disturbing and why it's included in this line of books is mind boggling
    What the heck...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    You don’t have to like Lois but reveling in the brutal murder of a female character over and over again to the point that you appear to take glee in it is ::extremely:: disturbing and inappropriate. Seek help.
    Do you know Lois isn´t real?

BANNED

She's been played by real people.

Astonishing Member

How does that detract from the misogyny of something that is already a problem in comics? Arguing that it's fictional doesn't change the problematic aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    She's been played by real people.
    Not the same thing. That’s like saying when Wonder Woman gets shot in a comic the writer is making a death threat against Gadot or Carter.

I think this is lame because it’s so bizarre for Supes to spend time sitting in a waiting room picturing his wife get brutally murdered over and over. It’s just so out of left field. If he was worrying about the little girl or about stuff in addition to Lois I think it would be fine. But some of you guys saying King did this because he hates women, that’s just hyperbolic nonsense. Lois was not actually hurt in this story.
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-21-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Tom King Responds to Superman/Lois Lane Comic Controversy: https://www.cbr.com/superman-controv...s-lane-murder/

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Tom King Responds to Superman/Lois Lane Comic Controversy: https://www.cbr.com/superman-controv...s-lane-murder/
    One important bit: “it should be noted that the books were not specifically pitched as a kids-friendly entry-point.” Which is true, the books for kids are the Zoom and Ink books. But I do think they should at least slap a rating on these Giants that says they’re suited for Teens more so than little 5-10 year olds.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    King needs to get his own shrink and stop using his comics as his own personal journal of pain and sorrow
    Commenting on the quality of King’s writing, or the appropriateness of this story for a Walmart book are fair game, but I really wish posters on these boards would stop denigrating people with mental health issues. Telling King to go see a shrink because you don’t like his comics is really inappropriate, especially since he’s been open about his PTSD in the past. People who suffer from mental illness are stigmatized enough already (many of them never address their illness because of the stigma) so using the fact that someone has discussed having struggled with their mental health as a bludgeon because you don’t like their superhero comics is particularly gross.

Incredible Member

Is it bad i'm glad this happened. Every mistake they make with the current continuity brings us that much closer to them being as close as pre flashpoint as possible.

This isn't within current continuity. These Wal-Mart books are standalone.

That said, DC wouldn't want that anyway. And with good reason. The way things were right before Flashpoint wasn't working. Sales were in the toilet. Whatever one may think of their ultimate choice of solution, the edict to do something was for a reason.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-21-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    Is it bad i'm glad this happened. Every mistake they make with the current continuity brings us that much closer to them being as close as pre flashpoint as possible.
    I don't think that's going to automatically happen, not with the pre-Flashpoint DC being over seven years ago . . .

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

That said, DC wouldn't want that anyway. And with good reason. The way things were right before Flashpoint wasn't working. Sales were in the toilet. Whatever one may think of their ultimate choice of solution, the edict to do something was for a reason.

That happens like every 2 years in comics. There is a cycle of highs and lows in comic sales, ppl just like to act like it was a grand failure of something, when it was just the cycle going up and then going down.

If writers wrote the characters better, as in IN Character,they wouldn't have so many huge ups and downs. I mean was walking across America like forest Gump in character pre Flashpoint? I don't think so. Was the new 52 kon behave and feel at all like any version before him? I think not.

Simple problem, simple solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

And right before Rebirth, sales were lower than they were pre-Flashpoint. So what?