Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I tend to agree with that. The first mini was a surprisingly solid story. I also found Suicide Run to be quite thrilling. Return to Big Nothing is a cool story that the first season of Punisher seemed to be either intentionally or unintentionally influenced by.

I'm in the minority because I didn't really like Garth Ennis's Welcome Back Frank story. The humor of it just felt a little misplaced and made the whole politics of the character decidedly uncomfortable. I guess I'm fine with the Punisher indiscriminately shooting a bunch of crime bosses. I'm a little less fine with him killing someone with pizza while having a supporting character whose name is a slur for people with cerebral palsy.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Mighty Member

I'm another vote for Ennis' Max run. You really can't go wrong, the whole thing is great.
    If you want a little more Marvel style, superhero-ish kind of story, check out Remender's run. He gets hold of a bunch of superhero and villain toys and goes to town. He also does the best Jigsaw story imo.
    Rosenberg's War Machine was so much fun! Not deep but just crazy, 100mph action.
    Greg Hurwitz did an amazing job on "Girls in White Dresses". This is my favorite look at how tortured Frank really is. You don't usually get into his head very often so this was a great chance to get a peek inside. It's not pretty.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I tend to agree with that. The first mini was a surprisingly solid story. I also found Suicide Run to be quite thrilling. Return to Big Nothing is a cool story that the first season of Punisher seemed to be either intentionally or unintentionally influenced by.

I'm in the minority because I didn't really like Garth Ennis's Welcome Back Frank story. The humor of it just felt a little misplaced and made the whole politics of the character decidedly uncomfortable. I guess I'm fine with the Punisher indiscriminately shooting a bunch of crime bosses. I'm a little less fine with him killing someone with pizza while having a supporting character whose name is a slur for people with cerebral palsy.
    That sounds like it’ll turn me off too. Ennis’ humour doesn’t do it for me, same with Preached. Is his MAX run similar or more serious?

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    That sounds like it’ll turn me off too. Ennis’ humour doesn’t do it for me, same with Preached. Is his MAX run similar or more serious?
    MAX is more serious and mature. I like it way better than Welcome Back Frank.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I've been told it's more serious and better.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I've been told it's more serious and better.
    Yes and yes.

Mighty Member

They're very different. Max doesn't have superpowered people and takes place in the real world, not the Marvel universe. Max is a hard R or MA all the way through with little to no humor. If there is any comedy it's of the black as pitch variety. If you didn't like Preacher I would definitely go for the Max run.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I also really liked the "Dead End" story in Remender's run (issues 5-10). The Hood brings back to life most of the villains killed by the original Scourge and set them loose after Frank. It was interesting seeing these mostly C and D lister villains taken seriously.

Mighty Member

River of blood. Great kubert art.

Which run is closest to the Frank we see on the Netflix show? I’ve been looking at Ruckas run and love what I see so far.
    The Punisher: The End.

By a mile.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

It is worth noting Ennis Punisher doesn't follow Marvel's floating timeline status and aged in real time. His family was killed in 1976, Frank is a Nam vet and his been active as the Punisher for 30 years. He was born in 1950 and is often slightly more grizzled and hardened than the Punisher is generally depicted. Think of him in the context as old Man Logan Wolverine or Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns Batman in relation to the younger general depictions of their characters.

Besides Ennis stuff I like

Circle of Blood
    The Rev - Punisher against a Jim Jones style cult leader
    Jigsaw Puzzle
    The Ghost of Wall Street/Insider Trading
    To Topple the Kingpin
    Final Days - is decent until the infamous plastic surgery to make Castle look like a black man

Jason Aaron's Max run was enjoyable as well if your into Ennis stuff.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 01-22-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Incredible Member

I really loved the "Return to Big Nothing" graphic novel. Haven't reread it in a while, so it might be kind of old school and dated by now, but it was the first time I really got interested in the character.

All-New Member

His time in the War Machine armor.

As soon as they took him out, I was done with the comic. It was one of the best things I read in 2018. That run was better than the Netflix series.

A few that haven't been mentioned:
    - Ostrander's Punisher (somewhat an underrated run)
    - The Assassins Guild (considered THE best Punisher story before Ennis)
    - Punisher P.O.V. (wonderful artwork from the great Berni Wrightson)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Issues #174 and #175 of the Amazing Spider-Man is still my favorite Punisher story to this day.
    Attachment 77289Attachment 77290
    Since it's alright to mention team-ups, I'll add these:
    - Amazing Spider-Man #134, 135
    - Daredevil/Punisher: Child's Play
    - Deadpool/Punisher: End of the Road
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-23-2019 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Made a correction.

Incredible Member

So I’ve always somehow managed to skirt away from Punisher stories. I’ve always liked him, but never read a solo. What would you say are his best stories to dig right into?

I’ve heard great things about Greg Ruckas run and obviously Ennis. Which one of these (or any others) is the most easily accessible? I know Ennis’ run is pretty huge, too. Any main stories out of those which are almost character-defining?
    Haven't read the responses to your question so you might have got this but honestly, Ennis. End of...
    So Punisher Max Vol.1 to Vol. 10.
    While it goes to Vol. 13, the difference in writing is clear (FYI was not Ennis).
    As to the "main stories out of those which are almost character-defining?"... All 10.
    You would not regret it. (unless you're put off by gore and realism)...