Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Best Punisher story?

So I’ve always somehow managed to skirt away from Punisher stories. I’ve always liked him, but never read a solo. What would you say are his best stories to dig right into?

I’ve heard great things about Greg Ruckas run and obviously Ennis. Which one of these (or any others) is the most easily accessible? I know Ennis’ run is pretty huge, too. Any main stories out of those which are almost character-defining?

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

Welcome Back Frank was a doozy. Garth Ennis used what worked about Frank and threw out what didn't .

Also great : the Jim Lee stories, Whilce Portacio's Punisher Posse vs Kingpin, The MAX one where Frank fights a Texas Chainsaw type family, The Zeck series

Welcome Back, Frank by Ennis
    Punisher & Punisher War Zone by Rucka
    Punisher War Machine by Rosenberg
    And if you like a bit of weirdness in your Punisher.. FrankenCastle by Remender

Mighty Member

"Frank Tower" story in Dixon/Romita's War Zone. Loved the shotgun team-up and the hood who wouldn't die.

Also the Wile E Coyote-inspired goon from early 90's pun that frank had trouble killing...

Frank in Baltimore - he goes up against a big fat white trash mama and her family. One boy is buggin on PCP and proves hard to kill. In the end Mama acts all innocent in the end and blames everything on her husband. Frank believes her and she gets away! Would love to see her return...

Suicide Run. The War Machine story is also a favourite.

Does Welcome Back, Frank have more humour in? I’d read it’s more light hearted compared to the MAX run.

Is Punisher: Born any good??

Looking into the war machine stuff too. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Does Welcome Back, Frank have more humour in? I’d read it’s more light hearted compared to the MAX run.

Is Punisher: Born any good??

Looking into the war machine stuff too. Thanks guys.
    Welcome Back, Frank has black humor galore, especially from the villains & supporting cast.

Issues #174 and #175 of the Amazing Spider-Man is still my favorite Punisher story to this day.
    174.jpg175.jpg

Which run is closest to the Frank we see on the Netflix show? I’ve been looking at Ruckas run and love what I see so far.

Ennis all the way (2004 run). Read The Slavers story arc. That's the best Punisher ever. The Cell is also amazing, but its hard to find.

1. The Slavers (25-30)
    2. The Cell (one-shot)
    3. Valley Forge, Valley Forge (55-60)
    4. Mother Russia (13-18)
    5. In The Beginning (1-6)

Honorable mentions: Born (Frank in Vietnam), Man of Stone, Up is Down and Black is White.

Rucka's run is closer to the Netflix show. Ennis Punisher is more complex and mature.
    Last edited by Magneto; 01-21-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Rucka's Punisher differs from the Netflix show in that Frank does not speak nearly as much in the comic as he does in the show. It's almost eerie.

Extraordinary Member

I enjoyed FrankenCastle. It was one of the first comics I really got into and really introduced me to the weirder parts of Marvel.

It told a more unique story about Frank and offered a different perspective on his place in the MU.

Ennis Punisher is a most read. The Punisher is a dark hero who lives in a dark world. Kitchen Irish and Mother Russia are the best two of the run.. Slavers was also pretty good. Where he sets the main bad guy on fire was pretty intense.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

This first mini series never get enough love.