Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default ACTS OF VENGEANCE : an appreciation.

Did you have any favourite moments in this crossover?

Jim Lee Mandarin Vs Wolvie, Liefield Vulture vs. New mutants, Doom vs Punisher, Spidey vs magneto plus the aftermath where Magneto almost kills Red Skull come to mind...

Any parts that DIDNT work for you?

How do you think AOV would work in the DCU? Who should face who?
    Solomon Grundy vs Aquaman on land? Black manta vs catwoman underwater. Maybe 1989 characters if you wanna be a purist (eg late 80's Starman vs Killer Frost etc)

Feel free to discuss...

The Cap tie-in >>>>>> The main parts of the story
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

THANKS! I remember Magneto getting revenge on the Red Skull. What else happened up Cap's way? He fought the Controller if I remember correctly...

Controller is COOL. That's my homie.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Ultimate Member

I honestly thought it was a weird monthly event, but the Magneto vs. Red Skull was worth it all.

Extraordinary Member

My favorite tie-in was Ultron vs. Daredevil. Ann Nocenti and John Romita Jr. were very good at event tie-ins and this one was as bizarre as you would expect such a matchup to be, while still fitting completely within the spirit of the run.

The thing I liked about AoV as an event concept was that it's such a simple, basic, uncomplicated concept at root: everybody fights someone else's villain. It doesn't have to interrupt the flow of a run like most events do because fighting a villain they don't usually fight is not that unusual a story for any of these series.

Of course that may have made it less successful as a crossover event, since you might not even know it was an event as opposed to just a story with an unusual guest villain.

BANNED

The Spider-man tie ins were the fun ones and it lead to his most powerful form...next to the Venom Symbiote and that is Captain Universe Spider-man.

Thor vs Juggernaut. Cosmic Spidey vs Grey Hulk, Goliath and the Trapster. The Trapster would have killed Spidey if weren't for Captain Universe.

Red Skull vs Magneto was definately my favorite part of the event (though I think technicaly that might have been more an Acts of Vengeance epilogue taking place after it ended).

Cosmic Spider-Man was kinda fun.

And I did like the reveal that Doom was actually just a Doombot, and the real Doom had more important things to do.

Ultimate Member

WAsn't the worst crossover, but it certainly does make me wish villains in the MU had some form of a governing body, ala the Society.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    WAsn't the worst crossover, but it certainly does make me wish villains in the MU had some form of a governing body, ala the Society.
    Acts of Vengeance proved why that can be hard though. A lot of villains have just as much reason to hate each other as they do the heroes. During Acts of Vengeance, 80% of the guys in the room probably wanted to beat the crap out of the Red Skull for one reason or another.

Still, it would make for a neat storyline I suppose.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Acts of Vengeance proved why that can be hard though. A lot of villains have just as much reason to hate each other as they do the heroes. During Acts of Vengeance, 80% of the guys in the room probably wanted to beat the crap out of the Red Skull for one reason or another.

Exactly. Red Skull was an absolute monster that nearly everyone in the supervillain community, such as it was, simultaneously despised and feared, some (like Magneto) leaning more on "despised" than "feared." Hell, Hood tried the same thing in Brian Bendis's New Avengers post-Civil War and onward, and that ultimately fell apart by the end of Dark Reign/Siege.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

True, but those were all the major big wigs. Use some lesser league guys like Wizard Graviton, etc.

True, but those were all the major big wigs. Use some lesser league guys like Wizard Graviton, etc.
    And that's part of the reason why Hoods group did okay at least for awhile. It was largely a bunch of C list villains who were used to being minions anyways, so there weren't too many conflicting egos.

Plus, the Hood wasn't that bad a guy (by villain standards at least). He treated the people who worked for him OKAY and in turn they stuck around longer than most groups like this tend to.

Graviton wouldn't accept any rules being applied to him. He's kind of a strange case where he doesn't have any big goals or grand ambitions, but he's painfully aware that he should as such a powerful being. He doesn't want to bring order to the world like Doom, or create a paradise for mutants like Magneto. He's just a lazy, egotistical douche, but his ego won't let him accept that about himself. So he wouldn't accept a governing society giving him orders, but at the same time he would have absolutely no idea what orders to give to others if he were in charge, and would quickly grow bored with the minutia of running such an organization.