Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So if the goal of this book is to make me like the night shift, i’d say it’s sicceeding; otherwise, i don’t know who annoys me more, otto, who treats everyone like his servant, or anna maria, who treats him like HER servant.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Far enough, but it’s hard to trust and alcoholic in a bar. It all depends on how much of Otto’s redemption sticks this time.
    I like the Night Shift, too, but the only reason Anna Maria's being so harsh on Otto is that she doesn't trust him not to relapse into his old ways even while acting as (a) Spider-Man. The beginning of the latest issue establishes that Otto, despite wanting to be a hero, feels contempt for almost everyone that isn't him and a lot of his motivation is proving he's better than his onetime archenemy whose mantle he's adopted. With those two things, can you argue with 100% certainty that he feels any genuine altruism or desire to protect and defend others who can't defend or protect themselves, at least from the outside looking in? Granted, he does make a sincere effort to be better after having to comfort that boy whose dad (or mom, not sure which) ended up as a civilian casualty in the fight with Terrax, but like PCN24454 said, it all depends on how much that sticks.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

A little insight on why Otto is reluctant to work with people.

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    A little insight on why Otto is reluctant to work with people.

That would explain it.

Astonishing Member

What's that from? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I like the Night Shift, too, but the only reason Anna Maria's being so harsh on Otto is that she doesn't trust him not to relapse into his old ways even while acting as (a) Spider-Man.
    that Waxman exchange was great. I had no idea who that character was when he first showed up. I get the feeling that Otto is eventually going to crack down on the rest of the Night Shift. they are nowhere near being reformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    What's that from? Thanks.
    Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #9-10, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    that Waxman exchange was great. I had no idea who that character was when he first showed up. I get the feeling that Otto is eventually going to crack down on the rest of the Night Shift. they are nowhere near being reformed.
    And then it's gonna get bloody. Maybe why he ends up trying to get the West Coast Avengers to work with (or for) him.

Astonishing Member

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Thank you.
    You're welcome.

And then it's gonna get bloody. Maybe why he ends up trying to get the West Coast Avengers to work with (or for) him.
    Most entertaining team up I've read in years.

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

BANNED

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #10
    CHRISTOS GAGE (W) • MIKE HAWTHORNE (A/C)
    • Otto Octavius is the Superior Spider-Man, yes?
    • Norman Osborn, the Spider-Man of Earth-44145 you met in SPIDER-GEDDON, begs to differ…and has some very creative ways to prove his superiority.
    • The least predictable comic on the stands finds even more ways to surprise you AND Otto.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #10
    CHRISTOS GAGE (W) • MIKE HAWTHORNE (A/C)
    • Otto Octavius is the Superior Spider-Man, yes?
    • Norman Osborn, the Spider-Man of Earth-44145 you met in SPIDER-GEDDON, begs to differ…and has some very creative ways to prove his superiority.
    • The least predictable comic on the stands finds even more ways to surprise you AND Otto.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    I will hold the comic to this in that case. Norman Osborn as Spider-man is a good idea, the only issue I had with it was that it didn't go nearly far enough with the concept and instead focused on Harry and "Sir not appearing in this comic" (at least living) Peter Parker. So if it expands on the idea I'd be all for that. There's just more creative juices to that than Norman with Spider powers.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

iMan 42s

I know it isn't exactly Superior Spider-man related and there is more than a few continuity errors (though as far as I understand it is canon), I just read Doctor Octopus:Year One and it re-framed quite a bit of Doctor Octopus's actions leading up to Superior Spider-man.

I especially liked how it in the end framed his obsession with Spider-man and him being this enigma Otto doesn't really know what to do with. I also kind of liked the ending where he likens Spidey to the vitruvian man, which in turn foreshadowed his turn to Doctor Octopus and his own turn at being Spider-man over a decade later. It's probably why the trade advertises collections of Superior Spider-man. It's pretty much all the backstory you could ever need, and so if anybody in this thread is looking for a distilled origin for Otto before jumping into Superior, I'd actually suggest this. No really, pick this up because it is a pretty good lead-in to Superior for being a tie-in to Spider-man 2.

One other thing, Otto actually displays an aptitude for art in this. Otto does seem to be something of an artist with his painting he did for Mary Alice, and he seems to view Da Vinci's work positively as some of it can be seen recreated in his cell. He also drew Spider-man as the Vitruvian man. I think it would something of an interesting take to see him indulge in this since we know his liking of science came from a mixture of enjoyment and escaping his parents, so what about his artistic qualities?
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I loved the original Superior Spider-Man, but I felt quite satisfied with how it ended. Is the new series worth picking up in light of that?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I loved the original Superior Spider-Man, but I felt quite satisfied with how it ended. Is the new series worth picking up in light of that?
    Yes, Superior Spider-Man's a great continuation from the works of Christopher Yost (read his SpOck stories if you haven't already, please) and Dan Slott. Christos Gage and Mike Hawthorne are nailing it. #5 is superb, one of the best ever SSM tales.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I recommend it highly. The above post does a great job of summing up why it's a worthwhile read.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."