Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #11

Surprised there isn't a thread on this but I highly enjoyed this issue! Tom Taylor has a strong and solid voice for both Peter and MJ, and I hope she appears more often in this series. The plot was solid, albeit rather low-key, which I'm fine with.

My only gripe is that MJ may have been written a little too well....in the sense that pretty much everything she does here went so well. I think it would have been a bit better to have her mess one thing up, if only to show something that made her less angelic and more normal. But that's just my take.

Other than that, this is the best that Peter and MJ have been written in years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Surprised there isn't a thread on this but I highly enjoyed this issue! Tom Taylor has a strong and solid voice for both Peter and MJ, and I hope she appears more often in this series. The plot was solid, albeit rather low-key, which I'm fine with.

My only gripe is that MJ may have been written a little too well....in the sense that pretty much everything she does here went so well. I think it would have been a bit better to have her mess one thing up, if only to show something that made her less angelic and more normal. But that's just my take.

Other than that, this is the best that Peter and MJ have been written in years.
    Tom Taylor's series has actually gotten a lot of praise and love. Apparently it was originally supposed to end with FNSM #12 but sales are so positive that it's gotten an extra few issues than initially commissioned. Taylor's series was supposed to be a short limited run like Zdarsky's Spectacular.
    (https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08...od-spider-man/)

I am a big Taylor fan, and I thought FNSM was solid. I loved FNSM #06-10, with Marnie's past in the internment camps and that fight with Helminth.

FNSM #11 is great. To me the story is written as if the two of them are married. I mean the devotion that MJ has for Peter is beyond girlfriend/move-in partner and so on. It's written as if she's his wife. Taylor basicallly wrote Pre-OMD MJ again.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Tom Taylor's series has actually gotten a lot of praise and love. Apparently it was originally supposed to end with FNSM #12 but sales are so positive that it's gotten an extra few issues than initially commissioned. Taylor's series was supposed to be a short limited run like Zdarsky's Spectacular.

I am a big Taylor fan, and I thought FNSM was solid. I loved FNSM #06-10, with Marnie's past in the internment camps and that fight with Helminth.

FNSM #11 is great. To me the story is written as if the two of them are married. I mean the devotion that MJ has for Peter is beyond girlfriend/move-in partner and so on. It's written as if she's his wife. Taylor basicallly wrote Pre-OMD MJ again.
    An extra few issues? That's great. I hope the title lasts even longer than that, and yes, it does work even better if you imagine Peter and Mary Jane back as husband and wife. All that's missing . . . is a little gold band around their ring fingers.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

According to the Bleeding Cool article, it says that it's still ending, just with a higher issue count. I'm not entirely sure about that, but I hope Taylor gets to finish his story regardless.

As for the other points, I guess I can see Pre-OMD MJ. But I'm not personally looking at it with all that baggage. I wanted a good solid Peter/MJ story, and that's exactly what I got, so I'm a happy camper.

FNSM on the whole though, I agree, is pretty dang solid. This title won't make the top 10 list, but it's the perfect satellite book to Spencer's Amazing

Mj proving why she is number one girl of Peter harem
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

According to the Bleeding Cool article, it says that it's still ending, just with a higher issue count. I'm not entirely sure about that, but I hope Taylor gets to finish his story regardless.

As for the other points, I guess I can see Pre-OMD MJ. But I'm not personally looking at it with all that baggage. I wanted a good solid Peter/MJ story, and that's exactly what I got, so I'm a happy camper.

FNSM on the whole though, I agree, is pretty dang solid. This title won't make the top 10 list, but it's the perfect satellite book to Spencer's Amazing
    I loved the bit with MJ and Miles too. It's probably the first significant encounter between 616 MJ and Miles. It must be weird for Miles since Ultimate MJ was basically a big sister to him, and now 616 MJ is basically his aunt.

I loved the bit with MJ and Miles too. It's probably the first significant encounter between 616 MJ and Miles. It must be weird for Miles since Ultimate MJ was basically a big sister to him, and now 616 MJ is basically his aunt.
    I was wondering if they've met before this issue!

I was wondering if they've met before this issue!
    also miles crossover issue of absolute carnage makes it very clear that he remembers his life in the ultimate verse. And they should've met off panel during the regent arc of dan slott amazing spider-man when Peter and guess who(Tony) team up cause Miles got kidnap so I know Mj visited his parents. So I assume after they saved the heroes they met or the very least saw each other
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

This was my favorite issue so far right up there with #6.

I thought it was very sweet and a great showing for MJ as the strong person she has become over the years.

My one complaint is a couple times reading this I felt everyone around MJ were a little too incompetent, like they couldn’t do anything on their own, and just standing there like they needed her orders for direction, lol.

Spectacular Member

This was a great, great issue and probably the best version of MJ I've ever seen. She and Peter deserve each other - in the best way possible.

BANNED

By the way more notices and info about how well FNSM is doing.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08...ance-reorders/

FNSM #12, an upcoming issue is in the Top 25 Advance reorder list. Ahead of AMAZING. That almost never happens.

By the way more notices and info about how well FNSM is doing.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08...ance-reorders/

FNSM #12, an upcoming issue is in the Top 25 Advance reorder list. Ahead of AMAZING. That almost never happens.
    Now that's peculiar...in a good way! I hope this gives Marvel good reason to keep it going.

In a bit of other news, Ken Lashley is drawing #13 instead of Juann Cabal. I like Lashley's art so I'm glad!
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08...od-spider-man/

Liked this issue. Shows just how strong MJ is, especially in the face of dealing with this world of superheroes. Glad to hear that FNSM is dealing well and will continue. It's somewhat under the radar, but tells very personal stories about Spider-Man nonetheless. It's separate from the main Spider-Man stuff which is a good thing.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Tom Taylor's FNSM started out rocky, but has quietly become the BEST monthly Spider-Man book out there. I like it even better than Nick Spencer's ASM, because while Spidey hardly even shows up in his own book in ASM and his VILLAINS get most of the shine, FNSM really gets to the heart of Spidey/Pete and his surrporting cast and makes the characters feel more familiar and the stories feel more like traditional Spider-Man stories. I really wish Tom Taylor would stay on and the book didn't have a cancellation issue approaching.