Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 140
  1. #76
    Incredible Member Seto Kaiba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Yost was good. Gage marries Yost's sensibility to Slott's silver age inspired camp, IMO.
    This. It's amusing that out of all of SpOck's writers, I liked Slott's the least. He literally wrote Doc Ock as Spider Man. And while I know that's what it was, the others gave him more human moments. A man seeking redemption, which was the best thing about the character.

  2. #77
    iMan 42s
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,916

    Default

    A problem I have with Slott's Superior Spider-man is that you really can read it at any arc and get the idea of what's happening. While that's good because it was intended to go longer and that it provides an easy jumping on point, it's not particularly great at ongoing narratives. It just never reached the point where it could do callbacks.

    -The Avengers can make no progress figuring out what's happening to Spider-man
    -Carlie Cooper is the only one who knows about Ock for sure
    -Any progress made for later arcs like Black Cat is undone by virtue of the fact that by this point it cannot and will not involve Otto.

    What Slott however was really good at though was hitting the notes of what he wanted and by extension the readers to see. It's just that the execution like most of his grander ideas is lacking.

    Yost really does hit the nail on the head when it comes to Otto's character and how conflicted he is in his approach. That's not surprising seeing as at the time he was also writing the very good Scarlet Spider. Already being in the mindset for villains going straight instead of a reluctant hero he trades that for someone who is enthusiastic about the job, just not terribly good at it.

    Currently I do find it's pretty similar to Yost's portrayal while also reconciling how Slott portrayed Otto.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

  3. #78
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    This. It's amusing that out of all of SpOck's writers, I liked Slott's the least. He literally wrote Doc Ock as Spider Man. And while I know that's what it was, the others gave him more human moments. A man seeking redemption, which was the best thing about the character.
    I didn't have a problem with Slott's take. He was, as you say, literally writing silver-age doofus Doc Ock as Spider-Man and that was glorious. If he hadn't, we'd probably never have gotten some of the great moments like Doc Ock's attack on Shadowlands and Ock's monologueing for Kingpin and Hobgoblin to overhear complete with silver age villain evil laugh.

    But Yost and Gage (who coscripted one of the best Superior Spider-Man stories in slott's run in 'No Escape') both showed a man seeking redemption a bit more earnestly than Slott's more narcissistic, ego-driven Doc Ock did in the Superior Spider-Man main title. Ock might've made /noise/ about redempotion, but he wasn't /really/ seeking it, I think, under Slott's pen. He just thought he deserved it. The differrence in tone between Yost, Gage, and Slott caused some whiplash.


    I mean, Yost gave us a Doc Ock morosely about to turn himself in in the wake of the Superior Six fiasco whereas I don't think you get the impression that Slott's Ock would have /ever/ even remotely considered that, you know?
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-22-2019 at 01:23 AM.

  4. #79

  5. #80
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    6,550

    Default

    Based Hawthorne making Anna Maria thiccer than Rhino's hide.

  6. #81
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Based Hawthorne making Anna Maria thiccer than Rhino's hide.
    ...I don't think that's Anna Maria, man.

  7. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I didn't have a problem with Slott's take. He was, as you say, literally writing silver-age doofus Doc Ock as Spider-Man and that was glorious. If he hadn't, we'd probably never have gotten some of the great moments like Doc Ock's attack on Shadowlands and Ock's monologueing for Kingpin and Hobgoblin to overhear complete with silver age villain evil laugh.

    But Yost and Gage (who coscripted one of the best Superior Spider-Man stories in slott's run in 'No Escape') both showed a man seeking redemption a bit more earnestly than Slott's more narcissistic, ego-driven Doc Ock did in the Superior Spider-Man main title. Ock might've made /noise/ about redempotion, but he wasn't /really/ seeking it, I think, under Slott's pen. He just thought he deserved it. The differrence in tone between Yost, Gage, and Slott caused some whiplash.


    I mean, Yost gave us a Doc Ock morosely about to turn himself in in the wake of the Superior Six fiasco whereas I don't think you get the impression that Slott's Ock would have /ever/ even remotely considered that, you know?
    I rate Christopher Yost as the best SSM writer as his SpOck is arrogant but he's trying to become a better person and there's times Otto admits his faults. I'm thinking about SpOck entering an old headquarters he had as Doc Ock and as you note, willing to hand himself because of the Superior Six. My three favourite SSM stories are all from Yost in Avenging Spider-Man #15.1, #16 and #17.

  8. #83
    iMan 42s
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,916

    Default

    I can't believe I missed the prior issue. Having just read it, not bad I dig it. That's a really clever way to fight Terrax.

    As for the following issue I'm at least mildly amused that they put the wrong Spider-man on the cover and instead of digitally editing the cover, it looks like Otto they just slapped on his arms and webshooters (actually those don't even look like Otto's) but it's a good cover.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

  9. #84

    Default

    if for some reason that Otto had a movie, who would you cast?

    my top 2 are Wes Bentley and Nicholas Tucci. i'm sure there's some unknown who could do it better, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I thought I couldn't love Steve Rogers any more than I already do, but here he is, eating pizza with a fork, just like I do (the only correct way to eat pizza

  10. #85
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,471

    Default

    Anna Maria as Otto's Jiminy Cricket gives me life and strength I didn't know I needed.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  11. #86
    The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    129

    Default

    For some reason, I'm reading Otto's dialogue with Sheldon Cooper's voice and it works LOL

  12. #87

    Default

    I love this book!
    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I thought I couldn't love Steve Rogers any more than I already do, but here he is, eating pizza with a fork, just like I do (the only correct way to eat pizza

  13. #88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Anna Maria as Otto's Jiminy Cricket gives me life and strength I didn't know I needed.
    Me too. This is what Infamous Ironman was missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I thought I couldn't love Steve Rogers any more than I already do, but here he is, eating pizza with a fork, just like I do (the only correct way to eat pizza

  14. #89
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I didn't have a problem with Slott's take. He was, as you say, literally writing silver-age doofus Doc Ock as Spider-Man and that was glorious. If he hadn't, we'd probably never have gotten some of the great moments like Doc Ock's attack on Shadowlands and Ock's monologueing for Kingpin and Hobgoblin to overhear complete with silver age villain evil laugh.

    But Yost and Gage (who coscripted one of the best Superior Spider-Man stories in slott's run in 'No Escape') both showed a man seeking redemption a bit more earnestly than Slott's more narcissistic, ego-driven Doc Ock did in the Superior Spider-Man main title. Ock might've made /noise/ about redempotion, but he wasn't /really/ seeking it, I think, under Slott's pen. He just thought he deserved it. The differrence in tone between Yost, Gage, and Slott caused some whiplash.


    I mean, Yost gave us a Doc Ock morosely about to turn himself in in the wake of the Superior Six fiasco whereas I don't think you get the impression that Slott's Ock would have /ever/ even remotely considered that, you know?
    You should be quite gratified by the preview, then, as Anna Maria does call out Otto/"Elliot Tolliver" for how despite all his posturing about wanting to be a hero, he seems to feel nothing but contempt for the people he "protects" and lacks the requisite empathy and compassion for those same people that a true hero needs.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    For some reason, I'm reading Otto's dialogue with Sheldon Cooper's voice and it works LOL
    For some reason, I read him (the "Elliot Tolliver" incarnation) with a blend of Liam O'Brien's and Crispin Freeman's voices from their various anime and videogame roles. Mostly because I think those two best capture Otto's sheer bombastic personality with simmering hints of menace and ruthless calculation beneath that over-the-top attitude.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Me too. This is what Infamous Ironman was missing.
    Someone to not give Doom a free pass because "he's trying to be good now" and call him out when he even hints at slipping back into his old ways or that he hasn't changed as much as he wants (others) to believe he has? Yeah, I can see that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  15. #90
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    6,550

    Default

    Every time someone tried to question Vic he teleported away. Every. Time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •