meobeou

Default The idea behind the Batman:

There are quite a few titles in the Batman: Noir series by now:

The Black Mirror
    The Killing Joke
    The Long Halloween
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Hush

Is anyone here buying these titles, and why? Now to be honest, I haven't personally seen any Batman: Noir book yet, so maybe I would fall in love with the concept when I 'd see it, but right now I can't really see what the point of these books is (for us as readers).

For formats like the Absolute editions and Artist Editions (expensive as hell, btw) I can see the purpose for collectors and readers, but as I understand it, the Noir books are simply stark black and white renditions of particular titles. Books like Sin City took advantage of that concept, but I don't really see it doing anything to stories like The Long Halloween and The Dark Knight Returns; the coloring in DKR was wonderful, so I would think that taking them away wouldn't do the book any good, although the story would remain brilliant...

Lee!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I can see Long Halloween fits as a Noir because of the tone and because the art style already has a high contrast of black and white that I think can look better than with color.

336240278a1c54500f41be8ba8e6d316._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Like this page looks really good.

Even the coloring in the original is flat and unshaded, unlike modern, realistic coloring they sometimes have. There are some pages in Long Halloween and Dark Victory that I find too murky because they add dark color to pages that already has heavy ink.

Hush, though? Jim Lee's art was meant to be colored with shine and gloss, and the story is not at all Noir. More like a showcase of popular characters in Batman world. It's neither moody, dark, or atmospheric like Long Halloween. So I find Hush a weird addition.

in all honesty id love to See the Matt Reeves Batman Movie as it is so called Noir id say the best batman story for the job would be Hush and to have flash backs remembering his child hood friend and adulthood nemesis , i think for what reeves is trying to do there are almost unlimited options for flashbacks that also tie in to 1 interconnected stand alone style plot . they could do Mad Hatter , Clay Face , Firefly , the Ventriloquist and Scarface , Scarecrow , and maybe even bring back the Penguin and have Selena Kyle as an ally in a few of the flash back stories . that way as bruce is looking back while digesting his dilemma with hush it also brings development character and story wise immensely .

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

What's the Batman: Noir series? I've never heard of that.