Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

since I am the only real person living in a massive simulation, I can confidently say that jean grey hiding in a stupid egg was a controversial decisiom
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Chris Claremont fixed it in Avengers Annual #10. The matter is resolved.
    If this was "resolved", why did Kurt Busiek have Carol relive the whole Marcus quagmire during the Avengers "Kang Dynasty" storyline?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    And the reverse is also true. Once interned at a firm where a few of the female interns were throwing themselves at a couple of the handsome, wealthy, silver haired partners -- one of whom was married. It happens.
    I mean people get all bent out of shape over this because Norman is Peter's greatest nemesis, but when you step back from it?

Gwen was a beautiful woman. If Norman had to the chance to nail any hot blonde college student while in Europe he would. That it was Peter's woman? So much the better for him. From Gwen's perspective, this was a rich man of power who happened to be the father of her best friend's boyfriend. She didn't know about Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin from a personal level.

It's a horrible thing from Peter's perspective on an emotional level. But from a moral standpoint? This happens all day every day between consenting adults.

I would put the rape of Carol Danvers high on this list along with Hawkeye's murder of Bruce Banner.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    If this was "resolved", why did Kurt Busiek have Carol relive the whole Marcus quagmire during the Avengers "Kang Dynasty" storyline?
    because writers like to have the effects of concluded stories play a role in current stories when they're notable or relevant parts of characters' histories

for example, the story arc where i made cereal this morning finished when i got the cereal ready, but it played a key role during the event where i ate it, and the editor's notes made sure readers knew
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Superior Spider-Man
    Everything that Daniel Way did with Wolverine
    OMD
    Avengers #200

Those are the most awfulls in my book.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Sins past wasn't just a bad story.

It was immoral. Like how old was Gwen Stacy?

I still remember reading that story and screaming..no..no..NO!!
    Around 19 or 20, the age gap didn't bother me as much as that Norman went from a friend of his son. Totally in character for him thought, guy was always as scum

Also, they show us Norman's "ohhh" face..... there are things in this world that should never be shown.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I mean people get all bent out of shape over this because Norman is Peter's greatest nemesis, but when you step back from it?

Gwen was a beautiful woman. If Norman had to the chance to nail any hot blonde college student while in Europe he would. That it was Peter's woman? So much the better for him. From Gwen's perspective, this was a rich man of power who happened to be the father of her best friend's boyfriend. She didn't know about Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin from a personal level.

It's a horrible thing from Peter's perspective on an emotional level. But from a moral standpoint? This happens all day every day between consenting adults.

I would put the rape of Carol Danvers high on this list along with Hawkeye's murder of Bruce Banner.
    Just cos it happens in the real world doesn’t mean it should be in the pages of Spider-Man, especially with his true love and arch-nemesis (from a writing standpoint)

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Just cos it happens in the real world doesn’t mean it should be in the pages of Spider-Man, especially with his true love and arch-nemesis (from a writing standpoint)
    True, although the story doesn't bother me much (mostly because of my apathy toward Gwen Stacy as a character), i think that it was mean spirited to any fan of the couple, especially considering that she was Peter's first love. Could have been an interesting elseworld thought

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    But that was the point. The kids aging thing was a plot device. How they were conceived? That's soap opera writing.

I mean how this is any worse than Doc Ock marrying Aunt May?

iMan 42s

I vote Norman Osborn boning Gwen Stacy because while a "thing" in the real world, it's still incredibly forced and evil for the sake of it shocking readers.

Lets put it to people like this;
    You have a new villain in the Grey Goblin but you for some reason feel the need to make him have a connection to our hero. Do you?
    A. Write in a new character into the run and have them slowly over time become more and more psychotic and or take the goblin serum for one reason or another?
    B. Re-establish older characters Peter has interacted with as the Grey Goblin
    C. Make them the children of a man who is behind every horrible thing that happened to Spider-man in the 90's, the child of a woman Peter was involved with and couldn't save as well as killed by said villain behind everything and because the timeline doesn't work have them rapidly age into adulthood also making thing squicky when you try to push a romantic interest in the daughter of said former long dead love interest WHO HAPPENS TO LOOK EXACTLY LIKE HER.

No, the concept of Peter having kids he hadn't known about isn't bad. That's something that could work. Making them the evil science children of his most ridiculously evil villain and his long dead flame is taking things way too far.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    But that was the point. The kids aging thing was a plot device. How they were conceived? That's soap opera writing.

I mean how this is any worse than Doc Ock marrying Aunt May?
    Well, Doc Ock didn't knock her up and then send his illegitimate to fight Spider-man, for one thing

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I vote Norman Osborn boning Gwen Stacy because while a "thing" in the real world, it's still incredibly forced and evil for the sake of it shocking readers.

Lets put it to people like this;
    You have a new villain in the Grey Goblin but you for some reason feel the need to make him have a connection to our hero. Do you?
    A. Write in a new character into the run and have them slowly over time become more and more psychotic and or take the goblin serum for one reason or another?
    B. Re-establish older characters Peter has interacted with as the Grey Goblin
    C. Make them the children of a man who is behind every horrible thing that happened to Spider-man in the 90's, the child of a woman Peter was involved with and couldn't save as well as killed by said villain behind everything and because the timeline doesn't work have them rapidly age into adulthood also making thing squicky when you try to push a romantic interest in the daughter of said former long dead love interest WHO HAPPENS TO LOOK EXACTLY LIKE HER.

No, the concept of Peter having kids he hadn't known about isn't bad. That's something that could work. Making them the evil science children of his most ridiculously evil villain and his long dead flame is taking things way too far.
    Ahh, The Grey Goblin, i'm still deciding if he or Menace were the worst members of that "family" lol

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Boisterously Confused

This is going to sound really tame, but...
    x116 wolverine and guard.jpg
    ... in the late 1970s, superheroes simply hadn't done that kind of thing for decades. Up until 1940, superheroes followed Dick Tracey's lead, and made sure they didn't have to fix problems twice. Then the rules changed.

Sure, bad guys got killed all the time (more or less), but always as a consequence of their own flaws, or as a result of choosing treacherously eeeevil companions. But superheroes didn't actively go around trying to snuff villains, even those out to end reality, let alone their hapless henchmen. It had been that way since Superman figured out how to fly.

The idea of A Good Guy Whacking A Random Lackey was utterly shocking.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 01-21-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Harry Orsborn overdosing on drugs.
    Doesn't seem like a big deal now but it was back then (and yes, I was around) with the removal of the Comics Code. It was even on the news (no internet) and Stan Lee was interviewed.
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    since I am the only real person living in a massive simulation, I can confidently say that jean grey hiding in a stupid egg was a controversial decisiom
    you're gonna anger the algorithm if you keep questioning it. anyways, the x-office deciding to scare the hell out of all the readers reading academy x atm was pretty controversial: