Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What great Metal records are good entry points into the genre?

I very much would like to get into the genre of Metal. Whether that be Death Metal, Heavy Metal, Slude Metal, etc. Alas, it is hard for me to really become immerse in this aforementioned genre, and the only album in this ilk that I like is Cannibal Corpse's the Bleeding. This leads me to my central query: What albums would you reccomend to someone inexperienced with metal?

If this is any help to you my favorite musical acts are King Crimson, Yes, The Residents, Pink Floyd, and Nico.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I'd start from PARANOID by Black Sabbath. That's probably the Ur-Metal album.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I do like Metal, but out of the 3 sub categories you named only Heavy Metal has some limited appeal to me. I mostly listen to Melodic Metal or Guitar Instrumentals.
    It's a genre you either like or you don't.
    But based on what you do enjoy perhaps you'd like the Progressive Metal or the Technical Metal artists.
    Try:
    Freak Kitchen
    Watchtower
    Gordian Knot
    Cynic
    Tourniquet (now The Tourniquet Ark)
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Metallica are all good entry points imo

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I very much would like to get into the genre of Metal. Whether that be Death Metal, Heavy Metal, Slude Metal, etc. Alas, it is hard for me to really become immerse in this aforementioned genre, and the only album in this ilk that I like is Cannibal Corpse's the Bleeding. This leads me to my central query: What albums would you reccomend to someone inexperienced with metal?

If this is any help to you my favorite musical acts are King Crimson, Yes, The Residents, Pink Floyd, and Nico.
    If you're a fan of progressive rock, perhaps start with something like Dream Theatre or Queensryche and then move into heavier bands.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    If you're a fan of progressive rock, perhaps start with something like Dream Theatre or Queensryche and then move into heavier bands.
    In addition to that pair, Death Angel might be something that would work for someone coming from there. Not all, but some. This is what came to mind...

There's also Voivod, but that is going to be either a really big "Yes!" or a really big "No!".

If you have a sense of humor?

King Diamond. The eighties albums, in particular.

A former friend of mine who was knowledgable about heavy metal recommended Aerosmith, and gave me "The Essential Aerosmith" when he wanted to broaden my education on the genre.

But it's a tricky question, because metal as a genre is hugely diverse nowadays.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    In addition to that pair, Death Angel might be something that would work for someone coming from there. Not all, but some. This is what came to mind...

I still have this cassette somewhere!

Get early Metallica, "Kill 'em all" and "Ride the Lightning", both amazing. Keep going through Metallica if you like both those.

Pantera "Vulger display of Power" came along a little later but is a good one.

Mighty Member

If you already like proggy stuff, then listen to Hawkwind's Space Ritual. That seems a good jumping off point for heavy metal, prog metal and punk rock. Essential.

Listen to:
    -Metallica's And Justice for All
    -Judas Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny and Painkiller
    -Black Sabbath's Master of Reality, Technical Ecstasy and Dehumanizer (and all the other albums they recorded too)
    -Testament- Anything will do, but especially New Order, The Legacy, Practice What You Preach and Souls of Black
    -Iron Maiden- s/t and Killers
    -Motorhead- pick any, but I like Rock N' Roll, Bastards, 1916, March or Die
    -Death- Symbolic

As far as I'm concerned, the above are the cream of the metal crop, but there are hundreds and hundreds of good metal albums. Pick names you know, and dig into their catalogs. You're not going to go too wrong if you start with the early records by the big names.

Mighty Member

Also just about any band/record mentioned in this thread is gonna be a good pick.

How about Jethro Tull's Crest of a Knave? They won the first Grammy Award ever given for Hard Rock/Metal Performance, after all.

No, haha, just kidding. I'd go with And Justice for All, by Metallica.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-23-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

If you like progressive stuff, you should try Cathedral's The Ethereal Mirror. It's an awesome mix of doom and prog metal. Also, Neurosis' Through Silver In Blood is progressive, has some awesome riffs, and is also a great intro to post-metal (basically a form of extremely heavy, soundscape-type metal).
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."