Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What is the first DC comic you read?

I like to ask how people got into comics and I have heard some pretty interesting stories. So I would like to ask what is the first DC comic that you read? What did you think of it? DI it drive you more towards DC or a character?

For me my first DC comic was a trade paper back of Superman Time and Time again. I got it for a buck at a used book store called Tom's Book Nook all books only a buck. I really enjoyed this story because I am a huge nerd for time travel. It didnt really turn me on to DC that wouldnt happen for about ten years. But it did make me a mild fan of Superman.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

"Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

For me, there were two from '73:

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

First one I remember reading off the racks was Bamtan #250 from '73...

I had a handful of DC books in the 70s, but I was mostly a Marvel kid. I didn't really make a deep dive into DC until I was in high school, I started picking up Flash during the Trial of the Flash and the Detroit era of JLA, and hen when we were without power for a few days following Hurricane Gloria, we were making daily trips to 7-11 for perishables and I was grabbing stacks of comics off the racks to read, and a lot of DC, picking up in the middle of Crisis on Infinite Earths and going from there. I found my first comic shop around that time too (looking for the Marvel Doctor Who comics initially) but started picking u back issues of Perez's New Teen Titans and JLA run. I also picked up copies of Dark Knight Returns 1 and 2 at the shop and by the time Man of Steel and Legends came out, I was buying more DC than Marvel for about 5-6 years until I cut way back on comics when I graduated college and was doing the poor college grad and grad school student bit for a number of years and had little money for comics.

My earliest exposure to DC came from things other than comics though-View Master reels, Super Friends cartoon, Mego figures, reruns of Adventures of Superman and Adam West's Batman, the Filmation cartoons, Linda Carter's Wonder Woman, the Christopher Reeve Superman movie etc. and those led me to be a fan of the characters moreso than the comics I had as a kid, which were few and far between. But once I started exploring the comics more when I as older, I got sucked in pretty deep.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

It's hard for me to remember back 50+ years for that . . .

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Just looking at the cover probably explains why Wildfire is still my favorite DC character.

Attachment 77325
    Attachment 77326

I bought these two on the same day and started collecting from there... I’d probably had Batman and Superman comics bought for me when I was really young, but no idea what ones.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    Attachment 77325
    Attachment 77326

I bought these two on the same day and started collecting from there... I’d probably had Batman and Superman comics bought for me when I was really young, but no idea what ones.
    The Green Lantern issue was the first GL comic I ever bought!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I like to ask how people got into comics and I have heard some pretty interesting stories. So I would like to ask what is the first DC comic that you read? What did you think of it? DI it drive you more towards DC or a character?

For me my first DC comic was a trade paper back of Superman Time and Time again. I got it for a buck at a used book store called Tom's Book Nook all books only a buck. I really enjoyed this story because I am a huge nerd for time travel. It didnt really turn me on to DC that wouldnt happen for about ten years. But it did make me a mild fan of Superman.

what about that Time and Time Again story that you liked so much? I've never read it, but it sounds interesting.

I think my first Superman comic was All Star Superman or Superman Secret Identity. I really liked them. I was already a Superman fan since childhood but these comics made me appreciate the character even more.

My first DC comic was Jimmy Olsen # 140. I read it in my Grandmother's basement. Grandpa used to work at a papermill, and he'd sneak home comics-to-be-recycled for his kids in his lunchbox, so over the years they amassed quite a collection. It might not have been my first comic, in actual fact, but it was the first one I really remember falling into. It just never seemed to end! Finish one story, I thought the book should be over, but wait! There was another story! And another! Another? Wow!

And all the content really expanded my mind! Bottle City of Kandor? Superman without powers? A whole Legion of Super-Heroes? In the future!? How many different weird transformations could this "Jimmy" guy go through!? I'd never even heard of him before, but apparently he's Superman's best friend! Holy moley!

So it kind of blew me away. I only learned years later that it was a bunch of reprints surrounded by Jack Kirby on all sides, which I'm definitely not so sure I'd have appreciated the same way at the time, haha!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Spectacular Member

Justice League of America #192

JLA_v.1_192.jpg

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post

So it kind of blew me away. I only learned years later that it was a bunch of reprints surrounded by Jack Kirby on all sides, which I'm definitely not so sure I'd have appreciated the same way at the time, haha!
    I got that comic when it came out on the spinner racks and it blew me away, too. I had got the issue before that--which was the Goody Rickels issue of JIMMY OLSEN and was supposed to be continued in the next issue, but this Giant came in between those two issues. The fact is I loved this comic and that version of Jimmy so much, that the Jack Kirby stuff didn't seem as good and I didn't bother with more Kirby issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I got that comic when it came out on the spinner racks and it blew me away, too. I had got the issue before that--which was the Goody Rickels issue of JIMMY OLSEN and was supposed to be continued in the next issue, but this Giant came in between those two issues. The fact is I loved this comic and that version of Jimmy so much, that the Jack Kirby stuff didn't seem as good and I didn't bother with more Kirby issues.
    Haha, nice! I like a lot of the Kirby stuff (Tiny Planet Transilvane is a personal favorite), but man, the Goody Rickels story is just plain damn weird; I don't think it's very good. I'm not surprised this one stood out in a positive light by comparison! Kirby's also just, I don't know, less whimsical and way more spacey than this. As a kid, most of Kirby's DC work would have gone waaay over my head, but JIMMY OLSEN # 140 was absolutely perfect for me! Really got me into some of the zanier aspects of Silver Age Superman's vast and beautiful world!

Funny tidbit, I didn't know about Crisis and the reboot for literally years later after reading comics at Grandma's, so I had no sense of context for '90s comics being a different version of Superman! When reading the first issue of Time and Time Again where Superman runs into the Legion of Super-Heroes, I literally only knew them from the Jimmy Olsen issue, and I was confused as to why Superman, who could time travel at will of course, didn't just fly back to the 20th century on his own! Haha!
    Last edited by Adekis; 01-22-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I just really enjoyed the time travel and the fact that Superman could not control it. And the bad guy who blew up the moon.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.