Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

The first one I can REMEMBER reading (I THINK) is Batman The Killing Joke. When I was 11. This is back in 1989 when the first Batman film came out. You know the one with Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton. I was REALLY DESPERATE to see it and my older brother promised to take me (he kept that promise!). Before we went and saw it, he saw a copy of Killing Joke going cheap (at a fairground out of all places!) and picked it up for me!

I used to read it over and over. I think my love of comics was born there.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

I just really enjoyed the time travel and the fact that Superman could not control it. And the bad guy who blew up the moon.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Kingdom Come #4 and Man of Steel #1.

I got Kingdom Come as i was a huge dan of Justice League animated. Loved the art, even if i didn't understand much of the story. It was weird to see Wonder Woman and Batman 'fighting'. Lol.

I really enjoyed Man of Steel #1. At that time i did not know that it was part one of a six part series.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-23-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Retired

Man, I'd expect people to start out slow. Just tip their toe into the DC waters at first--not read THE KILLING JOKE or KINGDOM COME as their first experience of DC. Surprised the Bandersnatch didn't grab you and you lived to tell the tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Man, I'd expect people to start out slow. Just tip their toe into the DC waters at first--not read THE KILLING JOKE or KINGDOM COME as their first experience of DC. Surprised the Bandersnatch didn't grab you and you lived to tell the tale.
    Well... in my defence it was bought for me!
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

I read a couple random comics as a kid in my local library but the first comic I read that lead me to diving into comics was Batman: Endgame (Batman #39).

I was very confused but I saw Duke and was like "IS THIS A BLACK ROBIN!?! sold." Then went to read We are Robin and Red Hood and the Outlaws. Now, I'm a nerd.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-23-2019 at 08:26 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I had read other comics that my Aunt and Mom had laying around but, this is the oldest DC Comic I can recall buying/asking for off the rack.

Justice_League_of_America_114.jpg
    Batman - Daredevil

The first DC comic I read was sitting in the book section of a Sac-N-Save in Garland, TX back in the 90's. It was in the middle of the story, but I was quite enamored of all these different superheroes working together in one book. Superman in space, Batman fighting with some cool looking dude in black on the ground, the rivalry between Wonder Woman and Maxia, etc.

I got my mom to buy it, and I never looked back.

Space Ranger. Not sure what the issue number was of the first one I read was though.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I went to my local library and borrowed Alex Ross's Mythology, thanks to the cartoons sparking my interest. But my first real comic I found in a mall on sale, it was a silver age Flash tale, with Barry breaking hard on his feet as the city behind him is being torn up, and he says something to the effect of "My speed is destroying the city!" He is beautifuly drawn on the cover. Someone help me find that one!
    Last edited by Lightning Rider; 01-23-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I went to my local library and borrowed Alex Ross's Mythology, thanks to the cartoons sparking my interest. But my first real comic I found in a mall on sale, it was a silver age Flash tale, with Barry breaking hard on his feet as the city behind him is being torn up, and he says something to the effect of "My speed is destroying the city!" He is beautifuly drawn on the cover. Someone help me find that one!
    Flash #221
    680593.jpg
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Flash #221
    680593.jpg

There it is. Thank you.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    There it is. Thank you.
    Sure.

This was the first comic I read. It was from a book and tape series and it was a mini comic so its not a proper comic.

Untold_Legend_of_the_Batman_3.jpg

But my first actual comic was from a Pic and Save store. They had a spinner rack with a bag of three comics in one pack. It had Armegeddon 2001 #2. Robin #7 and Silver age classics : House of mystery.

arme.jpg

Robin_v.4_7.jpg
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Retired

If you want to know the first DC books I actually bought on my own, that's an easier question to answer than what I first read, since I got these long after I had started to read comic books. I bought them from the spinner rack when I was at Keller's Drugstore with my Dad, for one quarter (and I got a penny back): BATMAN 188 (December 1966) and ACTION COMICS 344 (December 1966).