Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What is the first DC comic you read?

I like to ask how people got into comics and I have heard some pretty interesting stories. So I would like to ask what is the first DC comic that you read? What did you think of it? DI it drive you more towards DC or a character?

For me my first DC comic was a trade paper back of Superman Time and Time again. I got it for a buck at a used book store called Tom's Book Nook all books only a buck. I really enjoyed this story because I am a huge nerd for time travel. It didnt really turn me on to DC that wouldnt happen for about ten years. But it did make me a mild fan of Superman.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

"Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

For me, there were two from '73:

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

First one I remember reading off the racks was Bamtan #250 from '73...

I had a handful of DC books in the 70s, but I was mostly a Marvel kid. I didn't really make a deep dive into DC until I was in high school, I started picking up Flash during the Trial of the Flash and the Detroit era of JLA, and hen when we were without power for a few days following Hurricane Gloria, we were making daily trips to 7-11 for perishables and I was grabbing stacks of comics off the racks to read, and a lot of DC, picking up in the middle of Crisis on Infinite Earths and going from there. I found my first comic shop around that time too (looking for the Marvel Doctor Who comics initially) but started picking u back issues of Perez's New Teen Titans and JLA run. I also picked up copies of Dark Knight Returns 1 and 2 at the shop and by the time Man of Steel and Legends came out, I was buying more DC than Marvel for about 5-6 years until I cut way back on comics when I graduated college and was doing the poor college grad and grad school student bit for a number of years and had little money for comics.

My earliest exposure to DC came from things other than comics though-View Master reels, Super Friends cartoon, Mego figures, reruns of Adventures of Superman and Adam West's Batman, the Filmation cartoons, Linda Carter's Wonder Woman, the Christopher Reeve Superman movie etc. and those led me to be a fan of the characters moreso than the comics I had as a kid, which were few and far between. But once I started exploring the comics more when I as older, I got sucked in pretty deep.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

It's hard for me to remember back 50+ years for that . . .

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Just looking at the cover probably explains why Wildfire is still my favorite DC character.

Attachment 77325
    Attachment 77326

I bought these two on the same day and started collecting from there... I’d probably had Batman and Superman comics bought for me when I was really young, but no idea what ones.

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    Attachment 77325
    Attachment 77326

I bought these two on the same day and started collecting from there... I’d probably had Batman and Superman comics bought for me when I was really young, but no idea what ones.
    The Green Lantern issue was the first GL comic I ever bought!

Retired

I have no way of knowing.

When I was little, my big brother and I shared a bedroom and my three sisters shared a bedroom--they had a big closet in their bedroom that I could crawl through as a toddler and come out the other side into the living room. Which I did a lot. In that closet they piled up all their comics, so I would crawl through them and I have distinct memories of doing that and the specific scent and texture of comic books.

I clearly remember my brother holding me on his knee one time and reading a Superman comic to me. Someone I thought was Superwoman was in the comic--so it might have been a Lois Lane comic book.

I still have a small envelope which has cut-outs of Sugar & Spike (that were pasted onto cardboard) along with the cut-out clothes for them; however, I don't believe I did the cutting and pasting, I think it was one of my sisters, and I remember we all used to play with these cut-out dolls from the comics.

We all quite liked Sugar & Spike. And as a little kid, still not able to read, the kind of comics I preferred were those, as well as Little Archie and Stumbo comics. Plus we also had some Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis comics.

So the first DC I read (well, looked at the pictures) could be SUGAR AND SPIKE, SUPERMAN, SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE, THE ADVENTURES OF BOB HOPE or THE ADVENTURES OF JERRY LEWIS. Or it could be something completely different--as my father was a postman and would bring home various comics, all with the covers taken off, from the undeliverable pile at work.

Superboy & the Legion of Super-Heroes #204:
    lsh.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I have no way of knowing.

When I was little, my big brother and I shared a bedroom and my three sisters shared a bedroom--they had a big closet in their bedroom that I could crawl through as a toddler and come out the other side into the living room. Which I did a lot. In that closet they piled up all their comics, so I would crawl through them and I have distinct memories of doing that and the specific scent and texture of comic books.
    I have an advantage in being able to remember which comics I first read, since I'm the oldest of my siblings and was six when I got my first comic book. I'm not sure my brothers and sister could be able to recall the first comics they read (most likely one of mine).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Superboy & the Legion of Super-Heroes #204:
    lsh.jpg
    That was the first back issue of the LOSH I ever bought.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I have an advantage in being able to remember which comics I first read, since I'm the oldest of my siblings and was six when I got my first comic book. I'm not sure my brothers and sister could be able to recall the first comics they read (most likely one of mine).
    Well I have the advantage over my older siblings, and seem to have the best memory in the family, because I gained all their knowledge when I was just a baby. So I still retain a love and memory of things from when I was only one or two years old. But I was not a very good reader and mainly looked at the pictures until I was around seven or eight years old. I thought that the captions and dialogue balloons were optional and not necessary--usually making my own interpretation of what was going on.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Pretty sure it’s eitehr funeral for a friend 4 or 5

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Batman #291.
    The cover blew my mind and I was hooked.
    Batman 291 cover.jpg
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.