Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Batman_489.jpg

Batman #489

My first comic. Watching Batman & Robin over my uncle's house. I was at that age where you're starting to realize some things stink and not everything you watch is good. We were talking about how awful the movie was. He told me about how Bane was different in the comics. I had this hardcover The Ultimate Guide to Batman and it showed a panel of him breaking Killer Croc's arm. I brought that up and he said he had doubles of that issue. He brought it downstairs, I took it home and read it about 1000 times. Until the damn thing fell apart. I feel bad because he said to take care of it but if you're gonna destroy a book at least destroy it the way I did by reading it so many times. The next time I went over I asked if he had more comics and he told me about his magical place called the comic book store. I was hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Batman #291.
    The cover blew my mind and I was hooked.
    Attachment 77339
    That's an issue I've never read but it's always been one of my favorite covers. It's so great.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It was one of these:

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The first edition of The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told
    Greatest_Batman_Stories_Ever_Told_Vol_1_1.jpg

The first issue of the Robin ongoing. Was actually able to get it signed by Tom Grummett at Baltimore Comic Con last year, too. One of the highlights of my collection now.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Green Arrow 35. Phil Hester and Judd Winnie’s with Riddler on the cover. I had been reading X-Men for a while but DC intrigued me and I saw this at a FYE and picked it up. By the next month, I was pulling Greem Arrow, Flash, JSA, Batman and Superman and haven’t really looked back. It was a lot easier to get into comics back then.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

It all started here (an italian version edited by Play Press, it does not exist anymore)

I was at the library with my mum about 12 or 13 years ago and they were selling a bunch of old books, including some TPBs. She said I could have three so I picked X-Men/Ghost Rider: Brood Trouble In The Big Easy', 'Batman: Cataclysm' and 'Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey'.
    The first DC one I read was 'Batman: Cataclysm' and it's probably the reason I really enjoy late 90's/early 00's Batman stuff
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I like to ask how people got into comics and I have heard some pretty interesting stories. So I would like to ask what is the first DC comic that you read? What did you think of it? DI it drive you more towards DC or a character?

For me my first DC comic was a trade paper back of Superman Time and Time again. I got it for a buck at a used book store called Tom's Book Nook all books only a buck. I really enjoyed this story because I am a huge nerd for time travel. It didnt really turn me on to DC that wouldnt happen for about ten years. But it did make me a mild fan of Superman.

what about that Time and Time Again story that you liked so much? I've never read it, but it sounds interesting.

I think my first Superman comic was All Star Superman or Superman Secret Identity. I really liked them. I was already a Superman fan since childhood but these comics made me appreciate the character even more.

My first DC comic was Jimmy Olsen # 140. I read it in my Grandmother's basement. Grandpa used to work at a papermill, and he'd sneak home comics-to-be-recycled for his kids in his lunchbox, so over the years they amassed quite a collection. It might not have been my first comic, in actual fact, but it was the first one I really remember falling into. It just never seemed to end! Finish one story, I thought the book should be over, but wait! There was another story! And another! Another? Wow!

And all the content really expanded my mind! Bottle City of Kandor? Superman without powers? A whole Legion of Super-Heroes? In the future!? How many different weird transformations could this "Jimmy" guy go through!? I'd never even heard of him before, but apparently he's Superman's best friend! Holy moley!

So it kind of blew me away. I only learned years later that it was a bunch of reprints surrounded by Jack Kirby on all sides, which I'm definitely not so sure I'd have appreciated the same way at the time, haha!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Spectacular Member

Justice League of America #192

JLA_v.1_192.jpg

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post

So it kind of blew me away. I only learned years later that it was a bunch of reprints surrounded by Jack Kirby on all sides, which I'm definitely not so sure I'd have appreciated the same way at the time, haha!
    I got that comic when it came out on the spinner racks and it blew me away, too. I had got the issue before that--which was the Goody Rickels issue of JIMMY OLSEN and was supposed to be continued in the next issue, but this Giant came in between those two issues. The fact is I loved this comic and that version of Jimmy so much, that the Jack Kirby stuff didn't seem as good and I didn't bother with more Kirby issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I got that comic when it came out on the spinner racks and it blew me away, too. I had got the issue before that--which was the Goody Rickels issue of JIMMY OLSEN and was supposed to be continued in the next issue, but this Giant came in between those two issues. The fact is I loved this comic and that version of Jimmy so much, that the Jack Kirby stuff didn't seem as good and I didn't bother with more Kirby issues.
    Haha, nice! I like a lot of the Kirby stuff (Tiny Planet Transilvane is a personal favorite), but man, the Goody Rickels story is just plain damn weird; I don't think it's very good. I'm not surprised this one stood out in a positive light by comparison! Kirby's also just, I don't know, less whimsical and way more spacey than this. As a kid, most of Kirby's DC work would have gone waaay over my head, but JIMMY OLSEN # 140 was absolutely perfect for me! Really got me into some of the zanier aspects of Silver Age Superman's vast and beautiful world!

Funny tidbit, I didn't know about Crisis and the reboot for literally years later after reading comics at Grandma's, so I had no sense of context for '90s comics being a different version of Superman! When reading the first issue of Time and Time Again where Superman runs into the Legion of Super-Heroes, I literally only knew them from the Jimmy Olsen issue, and I was confused as to why Superman, who could time travel at will of course, didn't just fly back to the 20th century on his own! Haha!
    Last edited by Adekis; 01-22-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I think I read a bunch of Superman and Superboy comics when I was a kid but I don't really remember which ones. The first comic that really got me into the medium was actually a double-bill of a reprint of Showcase #4 and The Flash #66 (Wally series).
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.