Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rise and fall of former teen heroes

Are there any former teen heroes who were recently allowed to rise as an important, influencial character in the MU?
    Besides the characterrs from the 60s (Spidey, the first X-Men), I can only think of Shadowcat. It seems that the others are bound to be eternal novices or C-list characters. They are not allowed to rise at the same level as Steve, Tony, Carol, Scott or T'Challa.

Cannonball used to be a promising X-Man. He led X-Force for years. It was repeated several times that leanrning from different people like Cable, Xavier, Magneto and Wisdom would make him a great leader.
    And yet, every time he was put in a main X-Men team, he was treated as a runt. Worse, when the New Mutants were put together, the writer protrayed him as a failure of a leader who cracked under pressure. He is now somebody who just happily follows orders.

Nova (Rider), former teen hero, former New Warrior, rised as the main Earth cosmic hero during Annihilation and Conquest. He got respect from some major alien leaders and warriors.
    And then he was killed off. And forgotten. During the war against the builders, it's Captain America who got to sit on the same table as Gladiator and other leaders. And later it's Captain Marvel who became Earth's Number 1 cosmic cop.
    When he came back from the dead, Nova was barely noticed and now it seems he's is just one corpsman among others.

I fear the next one to fall will be Sunspot. He managed to become an AVengers leading figure. He was the one trying to keep the Avengers spirit alive when Tony and Steve were fighting each other.
    He did things differently, with boldness. Purchased AIM, worked with the Zebra Kids, Hyperion and Thor to solve the "everything dies" crisis, built a team of underdogs... And then haff his Avengers team got trashed by Bruce Purplepants in an event and he resigned as a leader.
    He was supposed to return to the X-ghetto, and I was half expecting him to pop up as Kitty or Ororo's coffeeboy, but he is still in limbo right now. (There are some theories about him being the new leader of terrorist group of the Mutants Liberation Front. I sure hope it's not the case.)
    Anyway, I doubt he'll be allowed to lead the X-Men or the Avengers again.

Who will be the next teen hero to rise and to be punished by the Guardians of Statu Quo for their boldness?
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Extraordinary Member

I think this is just sort of a risk all characters have.

I think Nova really made it, and didn't get like, knocked off when he died. Now he feels knocked off because they're doing so little with him it makes me question why they even bothered to revive him, since Loveless/Perez Nova was great but also short and cancelled.

The X-Office will always be the biggest culprit for teen hero failure because of, well, incompetence. But also nostalgia-humping while missing the point of the old material they're humping.

Ultimately, teen heroes like uh, Gravity fall off because before the Miles/Sam/Kamala Golden Age we live in now, they weren't trying as hard. New kids get Avengers team spots and take over flagships. Legacies help, too.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Whatever happened to Justice anyway

Speedball... Man...

Firestar became a Day list X-Men cameo

Husk got paired with toas

The New X-Men kids that keep getting killed off or returned to classrooms after making full Xmembership

Synch, whom they have refused to resurrect

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I think Nova really made it, and didn't get like, knocked off when he died. Now he feels knocked off because they're doing so little with him it makes me question why they even bothered to revive him, since Loveless/Perez Nova was great but also short and cancelled.

The X-Office will always be the biggest culprit for teen hero failure because of, well, incompetence. But also nostalgia-humping while missing the point of the old material they're humping.

Ultimately, teen heroes like uh, Gravity fall off because before the Miles/Sam/Kamala Golden Age we live in now, they weren't trying as hard. New kids get Avengers team spots and take over flagships. Legacies help, too.
    I'm sorry to say this, but it's too soon to assume that the current Champions generation will have better luck than the 90s New Warriors or 2000s Young Avengers generations (both of which only had a couple of members with staying power). Miles and Kamala are pretty much safe, as long as Saladin Ahmed, who is only the second ever regular writer on both of their solo books, doesn't mess up. The rest of the current kids, well, we'll see if they're still around in ten years, won't we?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I'm sorry to say this, but it's too soon to assume that the current Champions generation will have better luck than the 90s New Warriors or 2000s Young Avengers generations (both of which only had a couple of members with staying power). Miles and Kamala are pretty much safe, as long as Saladin Ahmed, who is only the second ever regular writer on both of their solo books, doesn't mess up. The rest of the current kids, well, we'll see if they're still around in ten years, won't we?
    Anything is possible, but new kids have much stronger ties to fundamental characters, more merch, more media accessibility, and just more play in publishing. Even Miles and Kamala lift up the ones around them. There's way more effort being put in for these guys, so they have way better chances than the pre-TV Runaways or Young Avengers ever did.

BANNED

new x-men ������

hellion ��������

BANNED

why don't emojis work
    silly site

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    why don't emojis work
    silly site
    they know i'd go ham

I wonder if Marvel sends more teen heroes into limbo then DC kills off Teen Titans ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if Marvel sends more teen heroes into limbo then DC kills off Teen Titans ?
    Not even the X-kids or the New Warriors have it as bad as the Teen Titans.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Not even the X-kids or the New Warriors have it as bad as the Teen Titans.
    Probably because they're hardly ever in focus .

Yeah, I know we would never get an event centered around them like the New Mutants were to Inferno or Generation X to the Phalanx Covenant. The most we've gotten is New X-Men in interesting or big roles while simultaneously never having the focus centered on them. Like Age of X-Man having NextGen as a big part without it being either essential or central to the story. But when they do get that attention, it's always them being fodderized for those big threats to show how dangerous they are or a body count to show how horrible the new status quo is.

Spider man and Johnny storm are special cases since they were at the ground floor same for the original x men.

Kitty Pryde and rouge certainly have grown into a strong adult and came later.

Ms Marvel and Miles are doing well at this point so is Hawkeye Kate.

I agree Nova has not had long runs but he keeps coming back so he is not a washout like some others.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Nova is probably only a film/good, strong title away from sticking there at the top.

A case could be made for Venom. His sales on the Cates title are pretty high.