Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

My brother's Invaders #17 or Strange Tales #178 sometime in the 70's.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Astonishing Member

I don´t remember.
    Even before i knew how to read i remember looking at comics that were in the house from my older brother.It was either reprints of the first Spider-Man stories of Stan Lee and Steve Dikto or Spider-Man stories from the 80s.
    But this was before i even knew how to read,but i have some memories of looking at them.

One of the early G.I. Joe books, but I'm not sure which one. Maybe issue #4 or #5? Somewhere around there.

I believe the first Marvel comic book I got was this one:

But it would be maybe about six years later before I started buying many Marvel titles on a regular basis.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

The first Marvel comic I read was probably the first issue of the '94 Hawkeye mini-series. My older cousin had given me several comics when I visited once, mostly X-Men but I wasn't really old enough to read at the time. Lost most of the X-Men books before I could really comprehend them, but I still kept the Hawkeyes until I was old enough to read them.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Mine was Thor #1 by J. Michael Straczynski and Olivier Coipel.

My first comic was not marvel but the he-man and starriers mini comics that came with the toy. (still have those comics but read them a lot as a kid so they are a bit worn down) My first marvel comic was transformers 1-6. Kid next door had two copies of each and gave me the extra copies! Read the next 6 issues from his collection. Picked up a transformers digest book then started reading gijoe and star wars before moving on to thundercats and star comics!

My first in universe comic and what got me into comics as I started to drift from them was fantastic four 305. There was a cool rock guy fighting a fire guy on the cover! I was hooked and picked it up! Later went down to my now gone comic shop and picked up the fantastic four trial of galactus trade, fantastic four 255 and 257 and the thing issues 2 and 6 and was shocked to find out thing 2 crosses over with fantastic four 257! They were in the same universe!

My aunt would give me crypt of shadows 5 I think, marvel doc savage 3 and a superman comic (my first dc comic! She would give me a second one right after that!)

So fantastic four started my love for marvel comics!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Gaastra; 02-09-2019 at 05:48 AM.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

For me, it's kind of a three part answer-- the first I remember was either (or simultaneously) a Steranko "Shield" or a Dr. Strange issue, either or both as a kid,doctor strange - strange tales 169.jpg; years go by: in college I was reading a lot of 'undergrounds'--Freak Bros., Horseshit, &tc, but picked up an strikingly-covered issue of Green Lantern marked "Green Lantern/Green Arrow" #76, which I liked so much I wrote my name on the cover and splash page, too... alas... so for a while I followed that series, but few if any others, and don'r really recall any Marvel from then. More years pass, into the mid-70s, when I discovered such a thing as..."a comic book store!!" Where suddenly, I began buying and reading Spidey (he only had the "Amazing" series, yeah, just the one series), DD, and...gasp: Howard the Duck! and then Captain Marvel and Manthing and Kamandi.. but which was my third "first" I can no longer say...
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

BANNED

I don't remember exactly. I think it was between ultimate spider-man/marvel-the end

I also read one comic from avengers vol 3 by kurt busiek (i think it was #14) where wonder-man, beast, vision and wanda went to a jazz bar. And another marvel fanfare 29 with the hulk

My first comic was Dr. Strange #53.
    And in it, the Bullpens Bulletin advertised the covers for Contest of Champions #1 and Fantastic Four #243, so those became my second and third comics.
    Which was really cool, because all three featured Dr. Strange (and the FF), and Contest of Champions had a Who's Who list in the back that gave the basics on all the characters.

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    . . . And in it, the Bullpens Bulletin advertised the covers for Contest of Champions #1 and Fantastic Four #243, so those became my second and third comics.
    Which was really cool, because all three featured Dr. Strange (and the FF), and Contest of Champions had a Who's Who list in the back that gave the basics on all the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

That was it.
    For me, that back-up feature was my first encounter with many of Marvel's characters.
    And the only time the Micronauts had any kind of write-up at Marvel.

I remember writing down all the heroes and organizing them by teams.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Spectacular Member

the brood story by claremont and silvestri. Read this and was hooked. 28 years later, still hooked, thanks chris and marc!

brood.jpg

Mark Gruenwald’s Captain America run. My dad, a Cap fan since he was in the service, started buying him for me once he realized he had a daughter so obsessed with reading anything she could get her hands on, and had started reading her mother’s true crime novels once she ran out of Nancy Drews to read, that he figured Cap would be a passion we could share that would be more wholesome than Ann Rule. He was right. Even through my dreaded teenage years when we were constantly at each other’s throats, dad and I could always bond over Cap. I was around 9-years-old when I started reading Cap and have read him ever since.

The last issue of the Avengers Under Siege storyline. After reading that I instantly became hooked and immediately started reading through my dad's collection to get caught up.