Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

In the mid-'70s, I had my tonsils out. My parents bought this (among other books) to keep me entertained while I recovered.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

This one...

It was the 80's. This was in a stack of comics my older brother had in his room. I admit I was a bit of a nosey little sister at the time and this comic was the one I was most drawn to. It was quickly followed by Spider-Man, all the series at the time, then the X-Men and spin-offs and the rest of the MU and after I made my way through them I scoured the DCU as well. It was inevitable because at the time I was a big reader and I also loved the cartoons Spider-Man and his Amazing friends and Super Friends and the TV shows Incredible Hulk, Batman and Wonder Woman as well as the Superman films. When I would get my allowance one of the first places I would have my parents bring me to was the comic book store (do kids even still get allowances?) And the rest, as they say, is history.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    In the mid-'70s, I had my tonsils out. My parents bought this (among other books) to keep me entertained while I recovered.

by the letter of the law this was mine too, must have been shortly after you in the late 70s, still have it though, it has been to multiple homes in multiple countries with me over the last 40 years. And when my daughter turned 8 it was the first she read too, now she is almost 10 and an avid fan of the Runaways

il_642xN.1571147578_9fgt.jpg

First comic I can recall reading.
    Batman - Daredevil

Unglaublich!

I couldn't tell you the issue number, but the first Marvel comic I ever picked up was an issue of Daredevil. The plot involved a "mad bomber" and a drug-addicted woman with a young hemophiliac son.

Not a supervillain in sight, but it was a compelling read for the young me.

It was either an Amazing Spider-Man trade from the Brand New Day era or the first story arc of Daniel Way's Deadpool.

I got them from my Secondary School's Libary.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Raptor View Post
    I couldn't tell you the issue number, but the first Marvel comic I ever picked up was an issue of Daredevil. The plot involved a "mad bomber" and a drug-addicted woman with a young hemophiliac son.

Not a supervillain in sight, but it was a compelling read for the young me.
    Daredevil #139, from 1976.

Fantastic Member

Like so many people my first exposure to the Marvel universe was Xmen TAS. I then started buying random issues off the rack at my local Wal-Mart. My first entire arc though was Age of Apocalypse except that I missed the Alpha and Omega issues. Then as I got older and moved I quit collecting and reading. I would buy issues when I noticed them at the PX in the Navy but never any complete arcs. I recently found those issues and the last one I bought was Messiah Complex 1. Then a few years back I noticed an AvX issue at Barnes and Noble and jumped back in. I've been regularly buying and reading since. It's so much easier now to read comics. When I was a kid I only had access to the issues they sold at Wal Mart (this is why I missed some issues of AoA). Now with Marvel Unlimited and the regular comic app I can get anything I want and have access to all the back issues I can read.
    Last edited by chaosfist; 02-11-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Something X-Men related. Don't remember the title I just remember Professor X and Lilandra were in space in the issue.

I was 10-years-old in 1960. Had been reading newspaper strips on Garth and Mandrake the Magician. I had read some comics like the big black and White Superman compilations, Magnus the Robot Fighter, Super Boy and Pluto, and then my favorite, the Green Lantern, because he could make whatever his imagination could design. Now and then, I would get a Justice League book just to break it up, but on the whole, I was restricted to pretty bright, and successful super hero comics from DC, Gold Key, and Charlton.

One day I came home with a new comic from a spin rack in my local Milk Bar that was like a 711 today. It had a spooky cover of a guy in a blue and red suit, and the yellow cover was filled with spider webs. Not my favourite bug, I can tell you. As I opened the pages and started embibbing the descriptions, the settings and the dialogue, it creeped the hell out of me. I didn’t know the main character, so it felt like reading one of those strange stories later put out by Vertigo or Dark Horse. I never really immersed in the young teenagers character that first time, but I just followed the narrative down the corridors of some high school, and the little sci fi drama with an intelligent robot. But that kid in the scary costume, was so weird, because you couldn’t see his face, so you couldn’t tell his emotions. He was a dark face, he had these incredible gymnastic abilities, and he nearly got found out by the computer, so it felt like you were riding this kids anxiety along with him.

I have to say, the impression I got was that I was in a scary tunnel moving along, not seeing too much in front, and being blind behind me. That was a Marvel comic, compared to the other styles I read beforehand.
    Last edited by jackolover; 02-12-2019 at 08:45 PM.