Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 65
  1. #46
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    "For Mature readers" can mean anything. Just make a clear cut rating system and save everyone the headache. Most modern comics run between Pg-12A.
    Yeah, that's fair.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

  2. #47
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    "For Mature readers" can mean anything. Just make a clear cut rating system and save everyone the headache. Most modern comics run between Pg-12A.
    The books say teen + on the cover. For some reason the walmart reprints dont though.

  3. #48
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Feigning outrage now like it's something "new" to this gen. seems hypocritical. LOL.
    Walmart has just exposed to more people, what was already long ago, common place in comics.
    I can say the following: the people reacting aren't feigning anything, and they're very well aware that this isn't a new thing. They are deeply sick and tired of women being shown mutilated on page to further a man's story, and wishes it to stop.

  4. #49
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,986

    Default

    Yeah, I'm gonna side with King on this one. I'm sorry, but for anyone who has ever had a loved one, its natural from time to time to worry about that person's safety, especially if that person has a dangerous career. There have been many times I've agonized over whether or not people I loved were hurt or unsafe. Its only natural that Superman would as well. From what I'm hearing, its not like King actually killed off Lois Lane. He crafted a story about the types of anxiety that a husband in Clark's position would have for his wife given the circumstances. That's real. That's something people would relate to. We shouldn't penalize him for that.

  5. #50
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Yeah, I'm gonna side with King on this one. I'm sorry, but for anyone who has ever had a loved one, its natural from time to time to worry about that person's safety, especially if that person has a dangerous career. There have been many times I've agonized over whether or not people I loved were hurt or unsafe. Its only natural that Superman would as well. From what I'm hearing, its not like King actually killed off Lois Lane. He crafted a story about the types of anxiety that a husband in Clark's position would have for his wife given the circumstances. That's real. That's something people would relate to. We shouldn't penalize him for that.
    Without having read the issue, I will say that there's a difference between the concept of a story and its execution.

  6. #51
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Without having read the issue, I will say that there's a difference between the concept of a story and its execution.
    That's so true. Worrying about a loved one while you're apart can cause great emotions. And that emotion can be expressed in stories for young people, but that fear doesn't need to be paired with explicit blood and violence. But, like j9ac9k, I haven't seen the story either. King handled mature concepts in his Mister Miracle series without explicit actions or scenes. (the ^%&$ swears were sill though). I'd believe he'd be capable of handling this idea without closeups of faces being blasted by bullets.

  7. #52
    Astonishing Member cranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Without having read the issue, I will say that there's a difference between the concept of a story and its execution.
    Exactly, and I think the original complaint exaggerates quite a bit. The only part of the execution here that I would have changed (as the editor) is the panel of Lois' face, but even then it is not out of line with comics for the last couple decades. All the other stuff was portrayed just fine.

  8. #53
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Yeah, I'm gonna side with King on this one. I'm sorry, but for anyone who has ever had a loved one, its natural from time to time to worry about that person's safety, especially if that person has a dangerous career. There have been many times I've agonized over whether or not people I loved were hurt or unsafe. Its only natural that Superman would as well. From what I'm hearing, its not like King actually killed off Lois Lane. He crafted a story about the types of anxiety that a husband in Clark's position would have for his wife given the circumstances. That's real. That's something people would relate to. We shouldn't penalize him for that.
    Sure, this all makes sense. What doesn't make sense, for me, is simply that I don't think it belongs in a Wallmart comic. At least, if it's anywhere near as graphic as it was described in the CBR description of it.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

  9. #54
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,110

    Default

    For a adult aimed dc comic comic today the picture is tame (dc has had far worse). For a book trying to get kids and new readers it's a bit of a shock. If this was in a issue of superman it would have went under the radar as dc has done far worse but in a family book not sure what dc was thinking.

    Is it as bad as they are saying? Or is it overblown? Here is the picture.


    [IMG][/IMG]

  10. #55

    Default

    The books he's writing for the company, including a more or less dead property like Mister Miracle, all sell like hot cakes, so apparently DC fans aren't THAT ticked off.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

  11. #56
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    The books say teen + on the cover. For some reason the walmart reprints dont though.
    This is a thing for trade paperbacks too. They don't include ratings in Trades.

    Also, again, it's Walmart. That means the readers will include people who don't usually read comics. I can't blame them for being angry when there's literally children books about the same characters that's more available in regular book stores compared to the comic themselves, and the book they target to attract commoners don't even have age rating.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-24-2019 at 06:39 AM.

  12. #57
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    For a adult aimed dc comic comic today the picture is tame (dc has had far worse). For a book trying to get kids and new readers it's a bit of a shock. If this was in a issue of superman it would have went under the radar as dc has done far worse but in a family book not sure what dc was thinking.

    Is it as bad as they are saying? Or is it overblown? Here is the picture.


    [IMG][/IMG]
    That's a really well written sequence IMO.

    For one thing, there are already hints that it's a hallucinatory/dream type sequence, because Lex is a bit off.

    And secondly, of course Lois won't beg for her life. Clark knows that and naturally, the kind of risks Lois is willing to take factor into his anxieties (and more importantly, his love for her).

  13. #58
    Incredible Member Naked Bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    That's a really well written sequence IMO.

    For one thing, there are already hints that it's a hallucinatory/dream type sequence, because Lex is a bit off.

    And secondly, of course Lois won't beg for her life. Clark knows that and naturally, the kind of risks Lois is willing to take factor into his anxieties (and more importantly, his love for her).
    Yeah, but don't you know King is the worst writer evar and he is a one trick pony and also he should stop writing batman because nobody loves what he does.

  14. #59
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    For a adult aimed dc comic comic today the picture is tame (dc has had far worse). For a book trying to get kids and new readers it's a bit of a shock. If this was in a issue of superman it would have went under the radar as dc has done far worse but in a family book not sure what dc was thinking.

    Is it as bad as they are saying? Or is it overblown? Here is the picture.


    Based on this page, I'm leaning towards overblown. I wouldn't want my younger kids reading this, but certainly a preteen could handle this. It's not as graphic as a description I built an argument around.

    I will give the artist crap for the shadows on Luthor's head making him look like he has a Norman Osborn haircut.

  15. #60
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Again, I'm a huge Tom King fan but HiC would be so much better received - and would work better in and of itself - if it was an out-of-continuity, standalone prestige series. Dividing DC into kid-friendly and adult-friendly lines may seem regressive but I do genuinely believe it would greatly benefit their books by pulling them out of this nebulous T/T+ status that they have been stuck in for so long.
    The way DC rates the comics seems anyway very arbitrary, Batman is for example only rated T, but is imo often darker than some of the T+ books like for example Green Arrow or Red Hood and the Outlaws (which are on the other hand not really darker than most T books).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •