Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    But that's not something to build upon either.

He wanted to be an athlete, couldn't be because he became a super-hero against his will.

Great. And ?

What stories can you build out of this ? Not much. If his whole purpose is "I wanted to be an American football star" and he just became a hero by accident and never change from there... well, I'm sorry, but I won't give a fuck for such a character, because he would be aimless, as deep as a flattened piece of paper and unable to move in any direction. Ergo, what's been plaguing Cyborg ever since the 80's ended and the luster he had as a New Teen Titan faded away.

If it's truly what DC wants for the character, then the best thing they could do to it is to retire him. Because he would have no story nor character potential, if he always has to be that, the former athlete whose dream has been destroyed. And I don't want Vic to go into limbo, but frankly, if he has to be just that, it would be an act of mercy. At least then, DC could perhaps try to have an actually more deep and interesting PoC (by virtue of not being tied to a foundation as rotten as Cyborg the former Jock is) put to prominence.
    Just my opinion...but by your comments I don't think you understand a few things. (and others)

1) What it is truly like to be disabled.

2) Having your dreams ripped from you and the physical, emotional, and mental impact that can have on someone.

3) What true story development is. The stuff that really makes you invested in a character on-going.

4) The consequences of essentially erasing core concepts to a character on a whim.

By understanding these aspects, along with story progression and character development, you will gain a better understand of what can be done with Cyborg. Your whole framework is based on what YOU would want and HOW you would deal with it. Not Cyborg. YOUR dream is to be a superhero with superpowers. YOUR idea of a good trade off for your working limbs and face is tech powers.

CYBORG wanted something else for his life. HE wanted to play a sport that he loved. HE wanted to challenge himself in the framework of the game. Cyborg never woke up and said to himself "Man it be great to Superman". That was the furthers thing from his mind. When Cyborg was written at his prime you knew that given the option of playing Football, even in a low minor league or being a superhero(or a Movie Star, or a Astronaut, or anything thing ELSE) Cyborg would have picked playing football. Being just a "normal" dude who played the game he loved.

Thats the character. He is the guy who somewhat was pushed into becoming a superhero by happen stance. Because he knows he can help now and has a sense of duty that he must. Not to say he doesn't enjoy it or appreciate the opportunity to help others. Just that his plans for HIS life was never what it is now and given the opportunity to reverse it he would. In a heartbeat. (if no one was to suffer for the decision of reversing it.)

That's the character. That's what makes him work. That's what keeps people interested long term. That provides the emotional connections to real people that writers can build off of forever. He is a Solider in a War he doesn't really want fight but knows that he must.

Cyborg is a proctor to his detriment. He is the role model of turning struggle and weakness into strength. He is the role model of the only disability you truly have are the one you place on yourself. He is ideal of life having other plans than the ones you make for yourself and then doing your best with what you are given.

If someone does not understand, does not care, or does not appreciate that then Cyborg is simply not a character of your personal taste and you would be better off finding another. Lucky thing there are several to choose from.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 07-08-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.