Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I wonder if the perception towards Cyborg being in the JL would've been different had he never been in another team before. Let's say he was always a solo character who occasionally took part in team-ups, but never actually originated from a team. Would people see him in a different light or is it still going to be the same arguments about him supposedly being a character that comes off as inferior to the other members or feeling out of place, or anything that people have said about him since 2011.
    Whether Cyborg was on a team previously or not makes no difference. The problems are simply there with the character. What I suspect is if the character had success as a solo character, which is unlikely given, again, he supplies no wish fulfillment whatsoever, then there would be a segment of fans more accepting of him being on the Justice League and getting his push based on that. So he would have more legitimacy if he could carry a solo series... which he can't. Which hurts his legitimacy, because every other main Justice League character can.

But the... "Cyborg is fundamentally flawed for being DC's premier black male character when you compare him to his peers," and "Put Cyborg back on the Titans and restore his history with them, I liked him how he was before," are two totally different discussions. Interestingly, they're both often points of discontent readers have with the character. He seems to get far more criticism than praise, yet DC doesn't do much to address issues people have with him. I guess they have him pal around with Starfire now, which may appease the people who like him to hang out with Titans.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 03-04-2019 at 04:47 PM.