Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152535455 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    Cyborg saying "You murdered my future" and trying to kill his dad (NOT because of the Father Box, fight me)
    Are you really taking a Father Box-influenced Victor at his word? Really?

Also, people don't have just one mood or one setting. Even people with depression have bouts of happiness or good days. If you thought his reconciliation with his father came by too easy, that's one thing, but you seem upset that Vic actually developed and is trying to cope with that massive change in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post

Also, people don't have just one mood or one setting. Even people with depression have bouts of happiness or good days. If you thought his reconciliation with his father came by too easy, that's one thing, but you seem upset that Vic actually developed and is trying to cope with that massive change in his life.
    Just look at Black Lightning. He seemed to be pretty level-headed and reasonable but then he got arguably as angry, if not angrier, then Vic was once he found out about the Anti-Light and how much he was manipulated.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    No, that was normal Victor. They're trying to up the scale on his reaction to getting cybernetics each time they do his origin. This is the fucking final straw. I want a different origin where Vic is happy. If it were a Mother Box, he'd say the same thing. END THIS. I WANT HAPPY VICTOR.

Why can Six Flags, a fucking amusement park chain, do a better version of Vic than an animated DC series?
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Incredible Member

People don't have one setting or personality. I am more interested in a Cyborg who grows into liking and accepting his role than immediately becoming comfortable and enjoying his life taken from him. Look at Spider-Man, he is a person who feels guilt and burdened by his powers as easily as he can enjoy being Spider-Man. It doesn't have to be one over the other.

Just because Vic hates his father and blame his father for turning him into Cyborg doesn't make him a bad character, it makes him a character with depth and room to grow as a hero. Especially considering Victor's father is a man who was more interested in science than Victor. Even Teen Titans Cartoon version of Cyborg felt like his technology hampered him and had to come to terms.to it even though we never got the full origin. That's what makes Cyborg an interesting. character.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    People don't have one setting or personality. I am more interested in a Cyborg who grows into liking and accepting his role than immediately becoming comfortable and enjoying his life taken from him. Look at Spider-Man, he is a person who feels guilt and burdened by his powers as easily as he can enjoy being Spider-Man. It doesn't have to be one over the other.

Just because Vic hates his father and blame his father for turning him into Cyborg doesn't make him a bad character, it makes him a character with depth and room to grow as a hero. Especially considering Victor's father is a man who was more interested in science than Victor. Even Teen Titans Cartoon version of Cyborg felt like his technology hampered him and had to come to terms.to it even though we never got the full origin. That's what makes Cyborg an interesting. character.
    This is a reason why so many fans were pissed that the positive changes made by Walker and Reis were trashed by DC. Cyborg had a great character arc (though it took longer than it should have). He’s changed into a cyborg, he’s depressed and blames his father for what’s happened to him. As he learns how to master his new abilities, he reconciles with his dad and has a more positive outlook. He had an amazing character design and seemed to enjoy being Cyborg. It was great. Then DC erased all that and made him a depressed guy stuck in generic looking armor.

I just can't cope with the fact that Cyborg isn't happy with his cybernetics from the very start like what TTG and Six Flags told me. Even Six Flags Cyborg has more than one emotion. Check out Justice League Battle for Metropolis and Cyborg Hyper Drive.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This is a reason why so many fans were pissed that the positive changes made by Walker and Reis were trashed by DC. Cyborg had a great character arc (though it took longer than it should have). He’s changed into a cyborg, he’s depressed and blames his father for what’s happened to him. As he learns how to master his new abilities, he reconciles with his dad and has a more positive outlook. He had an amazing character design and seemed to enjoy being Cyborg. It was great. Then DC erased all that and made him a depressed guy stuck in generic looking armor.
    Because writers love nostalgia I guess. And if Cyborg actually moves past his daddy issues and physical appearance that means they need to explore new ground with the character which they might not be too interested in doing. It's more difficult to do worldbuilding than it is to recycle the same plot points over and over again. Put Cyborg in the hands of a Hickman and readers would be seeing new revelations and concepts introduced every other issue. But if you put talent on the franchise that just wants to skirt along with the status quo you get repetitive arcs that take up too much space in the story. Cyborg's been dealing with the same emotional problems since rebirth began and has confronted them in two solo series. At this point I think the character can have a run where it's not the central struggle anymore.

I honestly think it's Six Flags' fault for lying to me that Cyborg was happy from the very start. If they had not included the line "I spent a lot of my childhood in these labs with my parents, and you wouldn't believe the things technology has done for me!" I could've accepted Cyborg not liking being a cyborg at first. But alas, they HAVE to lie to me and now I want a different origin where Cyborg is happy with his cybernetics. If we have a new origin, maybe we won't get the repeated "man or machine" storyline (but we'll still have Grid.)

Though then again considering I grew up with the TTG version of the character and only watched one episode of the original cartoon maybe I'd still believe Cyborg was happy so...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Because writers love nostalgia I guess. And if Cyborg actually moves past his daddy issues and physical appearance that means they need to explore new ground with the character which they might not be too interested in doing. It's more difficult to do worldbuilding than it is to recycle the same plot points over and over again. Put Cyborg in the hands of a Hickman and readers would be seeing new revelations and concepts introduced every other issue. But if you put talent on the franchise that just wants to skirt along with the status quo you get repetitive arcs that take up too much space in the story. Cyborg's been dealing with the same emotional problems since rebirth began and has confronted them in two solo series. At this point I think the character can have a run where it's not the central struggle anymore.
    Agreed, like I said there is so many opportunities that a character like Cyborg can take advantage of in terms of world building that has been shown in small doses but never fully delved into outside of small comics (his fourth world connection that's been in built in since New 52, his relationship with new heroes like the Justice League/Doom Patrol/Metal Men instead of just a Titans centric character, Cyborg vs magical villains like Brother Blood or Jynx, Cyborg being a A-lister hero, Cyborg vs Grid, Cyborg and romantic relationships with people like Sarah Charles or Jynx or even Bumblebee, Smallville with the idea that Cyborg considered suicide but being a hero and the relationships he has built as Cyborg giving him new life, Cyborg representing a character with prosthetic as well as African American or him being an Athlete and intelligent nerd, etc) and further beyond.

It is sad that all of his appearances outside of his comics (Smallville, a YJ, Teen Titans, Doom Patrol, even the panned JL movie among other) has done more for and with his character (power levels, personality, his relationships with different characters, and design/look, etc) than the comics itself which is unfortunate because it delves into the same 3 plot points. But having him be happy from the start problem wouldn't be an long term solution as opposed to skirting the problem in my eyes. What we need are creators and editors who are willing to use what has been introduced and build and expand on it instead of repeating what's been done in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    Cyborg vs Grid
    Grid is sexy.

Incredible Member

Currently playing through Detroit Become Human and I keep thinking why DC can't adopt such look for Cyborg?
    Yeah I know there's a difference between Cyborgs and Androids but with the amount of tech in the DC universe (and just plain comic book "logic"), there's no reason why this can't be written in.
    Get rid of the half man half machine look and finally move this character forward.
    Think such a move will also help avoid the stereotypical man vs machine trope most writers revert to as it's not always in your face.
    Imagine a Grayson treatment for Vic'. Have him go round the world undercover on spy/covert missions and what not...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Currently playing through Detroit Become Human and I keep thinking why DC can't adopt such look for Cyborg?
    Yeah I know there's a difference between Cyborgs and Androids but with the amount of tech in the DC universe (and just plain comic book "logic"), there's no reason why this can't be written in.
    Get rid of the half man half machine look and finally move this character forward.
    Think such a move will also help avoid the stereotypical man vs machine trope most writers revert to as it's not always in your face.
    Imagine a Grayson treatment for Vic'. Have him go round the world undercover on spy/covert missions and what not...
    What you're saying is what plenty of folks in here, including myself have been stating for years. The sad part is leadership of the comics division seem to have every intention blocking any kind of true progression of Cyborg. Its sickening to see him stuck in this cycle of anger, self-loathing, dysfunctional daddy issues. What's funny is that Batman has parallels to Vic in these pathologies but Batman is written to be kickass.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    What you're saying is what plenty of folks in here, including myself have been stating for years. The sad part is leadership of the comics division seem to have every intention blocking any kind of true progression of Cyborg. Its sickening to see him stuck in this cycle of anger, self-loathing, dysfunctional daddy issues. What's funny is that Batman has parallels to Vic in these pathologies but Batman is written to be kickass.
    I want a happy Vic from the very start!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Then Vic becomes another version of ROBOTMAN.

There is nothing wrong with Vic having apparent cybernetic parts. That's what makes him a "cyborg", not to mention that he is a stand-in as a representative of those people who have prosthetic parts, stemming from various injuries. The problem, IMO, was that Vic had, for a long time, seen his cybernetics as a handicap, not to mention the fact that the so-called bulky-look is outdated. I prefer a stream-lined cybernetic look for a Vic who is confident in his own self. That's the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Then Vic becomes another version of ROBOTMAN.

There is nothing wrong with Vic having apparent cybernetic parts. That's what makes him a "cyborg", not to mention that he is a stand-in as a representative of those people who have prosthetic parts, stemming from various injuries. The problem, IMO, was that Vic had, for a long time, seen his cybernetics as a handicap, not to mention the fact that the so-called bulky-look is outdated. I prefer a stream-lined cybernetic look for a Vic who is confident in his own self. That's the way forward.
    Naw, the only way he's looking like another Robotman is if he's written like him. Vic definitely begs for a closer to human look. How can he have such an advanced bunch of tech merged completely with a human body and it not be able to upgrade, to the point of him just having super strong, synthetic but human looking skin to go along with crazy weaponry. It's stupid to keep holding him back and anchoring him down with garbage his peers have long moved beyond.