Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I believe VS is saying that those stories can be done but a whole arch or several wouldn't fit with the characters motivation or previous history.

If you wanted you could do the same "gentrification" or African-American stories that you mentioned with Superman (In fact he has a couple under belt already) but no one would argue he wouldn't be the best character for that type of story telling on-going.

It's the same with Cyborg. Being black or growing up in a certain place does not define who you are or mean that you follow the same line of "think" and struggles. Not trying to speak for VS but I think he just means there are better characters suited for it. Which I would agree.
    Thanks.
    What my personal view is, is that we already have prominent characters at Marvel and DC who address socio-political issues involving black people. I don't have any complaint about them. I don't personally like those characters, but that's just my taste. It's cool that they're out there for people who want that stuff. What I would really not like is for an expectation to develop (and I think one already has) for every black character to need to do this because they're black. First of all, I don't believe it's necessary. Despite what some entertainment may present, not all black people are constantly caught up in a never ending struggle with white people or a system that holds them down. I suppose some people could take a macro viewpoint and see things like that, but not everyone does, or at least they're not all thinking about it all the time. There isn't one singular black view.

There are readers out there who just want basic escapism from black characters, and they just don't see dealing with socio-political issues as desirable escapism, and it gets repetitive when you keep on seeing it, and an undesirable trend starts to develop. Those people should have an "out", so to speak. Some people just want science fiction super hero stories from Cyborg, and I understand that. I don't think that inherently means the stories need to be dumbed down, watered down, or not legit.

From what I know of him, I'm almost certain Coates would bring in a bunch of "black issues". I would be stunned if he didn't. Would that be a good thing for Cyborg? Well, it's all up to opinion, of course, but I don't think so. If he wants to write stories like that, Black Lightning would probably be a better fit.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 04-30-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I enjoyed Christopher Priest's recent work so I'd be interested in him doing a solo on him. I liked his take on Cyborg in Justice League and thought it had promise. The whole run started out strong but had a whimper of an end.
    That wont happen. lol. Priest doesn't want to write black solo characters because he was afraid he'd get type cast and wouldn't get an opportunity to write the big names. Which is funny because when he gets the main books, he routinely promotes the black characters.

Ok, since we keep harping on angles we don't want...

What angle do you want to see Cyborg taken?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    That wont happen. lol. Priest doesn't want to write black solo characters because he was afraid he'd get type cast and wouldn't get an opportunity to write the big names. Which is funny because when he gets the main books, he routinely promotes the black characters.
    When Rebirth happened they tried to get Priest for Cyborg but he didn’t want a black character so DC scrapped the bottom of the barrel to give him Deathstroke and Cyborg eventually went to John Semper.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post

There are readers out there who just want basic escapism from black characters, and they just don't see dealing with socio-political issues as desirable escapism, and it gets repetitive when you keep on seeing it, and an undesirable trend starts to develop. Those people should have an "out", so to speak. Some people just want science fiction super hero stories from Cyborg, and I understand that. I don't think that inherently means the stories need to be dumbed down, watered down, or n
    From what I know of him, I'm almost certain Coates would bring in a bunch of "black issues". I would be stunned if he didn't. Would that be a good thing for Cyborg? Well, it's all up to opinion, of course, but I don't think so. If he wants to write stories like that, Black Lightning would probably be a better fit.
    Yes I think Coates would do very well with Black Lightning because it’s in his field and his interest as a political novelist. Cyborg needs to be a sci fi escapist centered story that would help elevate Cyborg into a top hero. He needs lore (support cast, rogues, his own city, gadgets) so people can finally see him as a solo hero.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post

Cyborg has a motherbox in him. He and Exxy should be exploring the universe. Lets see just how powerful that thing is.

Let him make a clone to stay on Earth with the League.

He gets Exxy and a few more inactive DC folks (or take all the Titians) and head to space to explore and actually COLONIZE a planet.

Heck give him a space station near a wormhole let him adopt Keith Roberts (black kid from 90s ) Superman and we can have Cyborg Deep Space 9.

Beast Boy can be Odo. Donna can be Kira.

I'd like to see him start his own security/internet company. Building drones(air, car, and robots) under govt. and personal contracts to patrol high crime neighborhoods. Villains would be "monsters of the week" piggybacking on some of Walkers' designs. Get a girlfriend, maybe "Rocket". And his own online education system. So his filler pages would be positive with high obtain splash pages for action.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    When Rebirth happened they tried to get Priest for Cyborg but he didn’t want a black character so DC scrapped the bottom of the barrel to give him Deathstroke and Cyborg eventually went to John Semper.
    I don't think Priest thinks that.

And mind you Semper does a pedigree (that Richards ignored) he wrote both Static & Peter Parker. So somebody like Cyborg shouldn't have been an issue.

Which is funny because when he gets the main books, he routinely promotes the black characters.
    I think his point is he can write ANYONE and not be restricted to black lead books only. Because while he does promote them in the books-who would even notice if it was a black lead book? Remember he FOUGHT to keep Panther going for 60+ issues.

He is doing more justice to Tanya & Wallace than OTHERS have.

I'd go full Black Mirror and tackle the downsides of technology, sci-fi body horror and also tap into his New God side by going on space adventures with Vibe and Forager.
    Last edited by 9th.; 04-30-2019 at 07:27 PM.

I would actually like to see him more involved with the military and the government in general as well.(Possible politicians) With a mix of sci-fi thrown in.

The Big 7 of DC lack a side by side military connection. I mean there's Hal but I never count him because he pretty much failed at that aspect of his life and has always been more of a test pilot. I think it would be cool if Cyborg worked with secret Sci-Op devision of the military where he is given missions and grows into being seen as an All-American hero.

It's already been hinted or suggested that he was headed somewhere in that direction when Flashpoint first came out.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 05-01-2019 at 05:48 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I would actually like to see him more involved with the military and the government as well. With a mix of sci-fi thrown in.

The Big 7 of DC lack a side by side military connection. I mean there's Hal but I never count him because he pretty much failed at that aspect of his life and has always been more of a test pilot. I think it would be cool if Cyborg worked with secret Sci-Op devision of the military where he is given missions and grows into being seen as an All-American hero.

It's already been hinted or suggested that he was headed somewhere in that direction when Flashpoint first came out.
    Oooh I like this angle. Ties with the government. Sci-ops division. I can see this working for Vic.

We’ll obviously this design has to return.

I do like the idea of Vic taking over STAR Labs. He really should be the head of technology in the DCU since he’s basically a tech god. Plus the dynamic between Cyborg and Silas Stone would be very interesting since he would now be his dad’s boss.

I like the fact that Flashpoint Cyborg pretty much had all the powers of Superman but instead of extra sensory powers he used his tech. You don’t need x-ray vision or super hearing when you can hack into any camera or speaker on earth. He can already fly but he doesn’t need to move faster than a speeding bullet if he can just Boom Tube to any location. If they really want Cyborg to be the link between humans and meta human gods, that’s the answer. His tech makes him a god.

Would love to see him interact more with the New Gods. He’s connected directly to The Source! Merton would be very interested in him. Only Cyborg and Highfather have that privilege.

And most importantly, get rid of all the “am I man or machine?!? I’m losing my humanity!” stuff. It’s been done to death. Walker had Vic actually enjoying his abilities. I think being a cyborg would be pretty freaking cool if I could change back into my human form.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    We’ll obviously this design has to return.

I do like the idea of Vic taking over STAR Labs. He really should be the head of technology in the DCU since he’s basically a tech god. Plus the dynamic between Cyborg and Silas Stone would be very interesting since he would now be his dad’s boss.

I like the fact that Flashpoint Cyborg pretty much had all the powers of Superman but instead of extra sensory powers he used his tech. You don’t need x-ray vision or super hearing when you can hack into any camera or speaker on earth. He can already fly but he doesn’t need to move faster than a speeding bullet if he can just Boom Tube to any location. If they really want Cyborg to be the link between humans and meta human gods, that’s the answer. His tech makes him a god.

Would love to see him interact more with the New Gods. He’s connected directly to The Source! Merton would be very interested in him. Only Cyborg and Highfather have that privilege.

And most importantly, get rid of all the “am I man or machine?!? I’m losing my humanity!” stuff. It’s been done to death. Walker had Vic actually enjoying his abilities. I think being a cyborg would be pretty freaking cool if I could change back into my human form.
    get rid of all the tech villians as well. He badly needs better villians and a better supporting cast.

If I had full control over the character I would stream line his powers. Making him more of a mid tier hero who relies more on a combination of skill and his tech. The whole "Tech God" angle always seemed silly and boring to me, personally.

He for sure should be able to tap into the internet and be able to hack computer and security systems. But I wouldn't make him a full on technopath.

Because of his connection to the internet and his natural mental aptitude he would naturally hold a type of super intellect but it would be geared more towards computer programing and developing. Along with being more cunning and being able to think quickly on his feet. (To nod at his time as a foot ball player)

I would keep his physical strength in more of the 20-25 ton range max

I would make his speed match his strength giving him a run speed of about 100 miles per hour .

I would have his leaping, reflexes, and durability all match someone who can perform at these levels. With extra given to his durability since he is a "metal man". But nothing unbelievable.

I would give him a nanite regeneration ability. But again not something extreme just enough for him to repair himself and keep him alive in battle. He shouldn't be robot Wolverine.

A trade off for his strength would be his blasters . His blasting the ability could rip the moon in half on a full power but if he did so he would be drained of all his power and need to recharge. I would give him TWO types of Blast and thats it. He would get a energy blast and a sonic cannon/blast. With these he can manipulate the pulse/stream for a variety of effects but thats it. No more random blast.

I would give him more control and free reign of the Boom Tube ability. But no Flight.

And that's it. The whole turning Cyborg into some kind of Inspector Gadget tech god is part of what made him lame in my opinion. Less is more. The combination of the above puts him on the same playing felid as any member of the Justice League without him being over powered or even just down right ridiculous. But that is just me and how I would handle the character.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

If I had full control over the character I would stream line his powers. Making him more of a mid tier hero who relies more on a combination of skill and his tech. The whole "Tech God" angle always seemed silly and boring to me, personally.

He for sure should be able to tap into the internet and be able to hack computer and security systems. But I wouldn't make him a full on technopath.

Because of his connection to the internet and his natural mental aptitude he would naturally hold a type of super intellect but it would be geared more towards computer programing and developing. Along with being more cunning and being able to think quickly on his feet. (To nod at his time as a foot ball player)

I would keep his physical strength in more of the 20-25 ton range max

I would make his speed match his strength giving him a run speed of about 100 miles per hour .

I would have his leaping, reflexes, and durability all match someone who can perform at these levels. With extra given to his durability since he is a "metal man". But nothing unbelievable.

I would give him a nanite regeneration ability. But again not something extreme just enough for him to repair himself and keep him alive in battle. He shouldn't be robot Wolverine.

A trade off for his strength would be his blasters . His blasting the ability could rip the moon in half on a full power but if he did so he would be drained of all his power and need to recharge. I would give him TWO types of Blast and thats it. He would get a energy blast and a sonic cannon/blast. With these he can manipulate the pulse/stream for a variety of effects but thats it. No more random blast.

I would give him more control and free reign of the Boom Tube ability. But no Flight.

And that's it. The whole turning Cyborg into some kind of Inspector Gadget tech god is part of what made him lame in my opinion. Less is more. The combination of the above puts him on the same playing felid as any member of the Justice League without him being over powered or even just down right ridiculous. But that is just me and how I would handle the character.
    He's DC's only upper tier black character. I'd hate to downgrade him to such an extent. This sounds like a good origin powerset but at this point he probably needs to be far more advance. His abilities are about the only thing I dig about the way DC handles him. His look and a great story/writer is what has eluded him the most.

The rest of the League are supermen in their own little corners of the DCU. Tech is where Vic should reign supreme.