Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Not really happy with the way that version of his father sounds. And it still sounds like a variation of "am I a person (anymore)?" to me, just like the man v. machine is storyline is.
    That's because it is the same storyline. We're all waiting for a new direction for Vic. Only guy who has the power and could honestly move the character forward is Bendis.

Advance The Concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeneuron View Post
    How is it man vs machine? Imo the last man vs machine storyline for Cyborg was in the 80s- a 3 part story that featured the Fearsome Five. Cyborg actively try to change his condition by using synthetic skin.

Cyborg by David Walker and John Semper jr. did not have a man vs machine storyline. Sure he mentions it often but there were no storylines around that particular issue.

A soul is very separate from a physical body.
    It's hardly the case when the ONLY character wondering if he has a soul -if such a thing even exist- is the half-machine (or 90% those days) one.

I really like what Walker is doing for Naomi with Bendis, but his run on Cyborg wasn't great. And I maintain that Cyborg's current struggles have nothing to do with which teams he's on/has been a part off, and far more about the fact that he's a character created in the heydays of the Fear the Machine era, alongside Terminator and all. Rightly or Wrongly, we have largely come to see technology as something increasingly good in nature, but abused (even if I suspect that the toxicity on social medias and internet generally has started to change this vision).

By keeping Vic tied to a now largely outdated conception of technology and how it relates to humans, DC is only appealing to an audience which is growing older and shrinking, because younger peoples like myself don't have this vision. I don't like the term but we're digital natives. As shallow as it would be to see it framed that way, I don't doubt the fact that Cyborg can basically be playing any game he wants, anytime, while super-heroing would be seen by some as the ultimate fantasy.

Instead he's always wondering if he's even human to begin with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It's hardly the case when the ONLY character wondering if he has a soul -if such a thing even exist- is the half-machine (or 90% those days) one.

I really like what Walker is doing for Naomi with Bendis, but his run on Cyborg wasn't great. And I maintain that Cyborg's current struggles have nothing to do with which teams he's on/has been a part off, and far more about the fact that he's a character created in the heydays of the Fear the Machine era, alongside Terminator and all. Rightly or Wrongly, we have largely come to see technology as something increasingly good in nature, but abused (even if I suspect that the toxicity on social medias and internet generally has started to change this vision).

By keeping Vic tied to a now largely outdated conception of technology and how it relates to humans, DC is only appealing to an audience which is growing older and shrinking, because younger peoples like myself don't have this vision. I don't like the term but we're digital natives. As shallow as it would be to see it framed that way, I don't doubt the fact that Cyborg can basically be playing any game he wants, anytime, while super-heroing would be seen by some as the ultimate fantasy.

Well if you do not believe in souls then I would say that you probably won't get Semper's Cyborg story. His story is set in Detroit- the home of Motown and the greatest soul singers that have ever existed. Imo soul, soul music is about bringing forth something deep inside of you via a rousing verbal and visual gestures. Maybe Silas just over analysed the emptiness he felt in his son, Cyborg. But nevertheless I thought and still believe that this was a great story for Vic because it was a way for him to open up and to become warmer and more outgoing. It's a shame that many only see it as a man vs machine story.

Also isn't it ironic that scientists still don't know were babies come from but they can see molecules called 'soccer balls' trillions of miles away in interstellar space between galaxies.
    Last edited by Wakeneuron; 06-28-2019 at 07:08 AM.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Cyborg ongoing written by John Semper jr. was not a man versus machine storyline. It was about Cyborg wondering if he had a soul after he came across a recording of his Father questioning if Cyborg was a walking zombie. It was a journey about soul discovery and how people are an essential part of urban areas which is the definition of the cyborg in the city concept.
    And also the wonderful Mind Wyrmms. Can't forget those wyrmms.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

And that's why Cyborg should be HAPPY with his cybernetics when he first has them, or just accept it as a necessity. I don't want to see him be like "why do i have to be 90% machine now" and instead be "I wonder what I can do with these." Of course everyone is mad that "YOU'RE MAKING HIM HAPPY HE LOST HIS LIMBS?" and I'm like "No I'm not I'm serious Vic wants his life to be saved and he suggests cybernetics it's nothing to do with him losing his limbs" maybe I should just make him accept it as a necessity or better yet THE TRANSPONDER ORIGIN HELLO SOMEONE OUT THERE BENDIS LISTEN TO ME AND WAKENEURON

Only guy who has the power and could honestly move the character forward is Bendis.
    Based on his Superman work, he doesn't care about prior characterization. Yeah, I'm bitter about his Lois. And other things.

I do think Vic's initial issues with his cybernetics are a foundational character aspect that he needs in the beginning. I just think he needs to be able to move past them, reach a resolution and peace and move on to other storylines and have his character expanded upon in new ways.

Based on his Superman work, he doesn't care about prior characterization. Yeah, I'm bitter about his Lois. And other things.

I do think Vic's initial issues with his cybernetics are a foundational character aspect that he needs in the beginning. I just think he needs to be able to move past them, reach a resolution and peace and move on to other storylines and have his character expanded upon in new ways.
    I just don't like characters who don't like their superpowers. Superpowers are meant to be a good thing. Victor has a whole cybernetic body he can upgrade and a laser cannon and whatnot and he isn't happy about it. It breaks my heart. I like Vic when he's happy, eating pizza and shouting "BOOYAH!" He doesn't need to be sad he has a laser cannon. He should just accept it as a necessity at least.

BANNED

If Vic doesn't think about his cybernetics and go around happy go lucky all the time wouldn't that some what make him a robot by ignoring his physical condition? Something that's the opposite of what fans want.

Ultimate Member

If Vic doesn't think about his cybernetics and go around happy go lucky all the time wouldn't that some what make him a robot by ignoring his physical condition? Something that's the opposite of what fans want.
    Seven of Nine & Data had no issue ignoring their states from time to time.

Nor the Holographic Doctor on Voyager.

Nor Geordi Laforge. Who was BLIND.

All these folks had SOMETHING that made them DIFFERENT.

Yet all accepted what they WERE and moved on.

Some took advantage of what they were and moved on.

7 of 9 helped KILL people from the time she was a child to her being rescued.

The USS Enterprise D is GONE because of Laforge's blindness. People DIED during that. Yet unlike Cyborg & John Stewart's tropes-it's NEVER mentioned or used against him.

How many folks DIED under Borg Picard? 39 ships destroyed, folks killed, folks assimilated and Jake Sisko lost his MOM. Jake nor his powerful DADDY has gone after Picard.

The point is not every single story has to be about Cyborg crying over his state or getting ripped up by Black Panther's cousins.

Based on his Superman work, he doesn't care about prior characterization.
    Cyborg is such a blank slate he would not have that issue.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    I just don't like characters who don't like their superpowers. Superpowers are meant to be a good thing. Victor has a whole cybernetic body he can upgrade and a laser cannon and whatnot and he isn't happy about it. It breaks my heart. I like Vic when he's happy, eating pizza and shouting "BOOYAH!" He doesn't need to be sad he has a laser cannon. He should just accept it as a necessity at least.
    Cyborg is at his peak when he's accepted himself and got over the 'am I a man or monster issue'. The 2003 TT cartoon had him overcome that nonsense by the second season and Doom Patrol Cyborg was mostly comfortable with himself. Why DC comics hasn't taken the hint and evolved Cyborg's character by now is impossible to comprehend.

Cyborg is at his peak when he's accepted himself and got over the 'am I a man or monster issue'. The 2003 TT cartoon had him overcome that nonsense by the second season and Doom Patrol Cyborg was mostly comfortable with himself. Why DC comics hasn't taken the hint and evolved Cyborg's character by now is impossible to comprehend.
    Tell me about it.

Anyone got any ideas what you'd like to do with the character? In terms of personal life or non-heroing professional life (would he ever have one)? Or even in heroing, what types of villains, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    But I'm referring to when he first gets cybernetics (and here it comes...)

That's exactly what I'm hoping for!

The prior characterization of Cyborg is the biggest thing weighing him down. I would love a writer forward thinking enough to advance the concept of what Cyborg is TODAY. Not the 80's. Bendis is the only one with the clout, skill and vision to get that done.

And me. Too bad they're going to complain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Seven of Nine & Data had no issue ignoring their states from time to time.

Nor the Holographic Doctor on Voyager.

Nor Geordi Laforge. Who was BLIND.

All these folks had SOMETHING that made them DIFFERENT.

Yet all accepted what they WERE and moved on.

Some took advantage of what they were and moved on.

7 of 9 helped KILL people from the time she was a child to her being rescued.

The USS Enterprise D is GONE because of Laforge's blindness. People DIED during that. Yet unlike Cyborg & John Stewart's tropes-it's NEVER mentioned or used against him.

How many folks DIED under Borg Picard? 39 ships destroyed, folks killed, folks assimilated and Jake Sisko lost his MOM. Jake nor his powerful DADDY has gone after Picard.

The point is not every single story has to be about Cyborg crying over his state or getting ripped up by Black Panther's cousins.

Cyborg is such a blank slate he would not have that issue.
    Cyborg has never cried about his condition in David Walker's and John Semper jr.'s run. I've read every issue.
    I don't get where people coming from when they say that because it's a falsehood.