Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    I say we change his origin to something else and make him happy from the very start. Cyborg's origin just screams "depressing" and it's about time we get Cyborg as a curious, upbeat teenager excited to use his new powers.
    Honestly I don't see how you can, I don't think anybody would be happy with losing half their face. Being happy and upbeat is cool but it should come after he learns to cope with it.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

I say we change his origin to something else and make him happy from the very start. Cyborg's origin just screams "depressing" and it's about time we get Cyborg as a curious, upbeat teenager excited to use his new powers.
    Cyborg's origin being depressing is part of his character. Teen Cyborg being depressed at first makes sense, an adult Cyborg who's mastered his abilities, accepted himself and come into his own as a hero and a man should be upbeat and confident. DC promoted him to the big leagues but refuses to give him a proper mindset that suits his current position.

Yeah, its super sad. The whole Fab5/NTT roster is a mess.

Vic could be so much more.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Never understood the love so many have for keeping the only original, high profile black hero at DC perpetually depressed, alone, self-pitying, consistently in the background and a eunuch.

They don't want those awesome traits for Clark, Bruce, Diana, Barry, Harold, Arthur, or even J'onn. No sir! But for Vic...the only black guy...yeah that's ok for him. Like, do any of y'all think about how a black fan might view this? How this might send such a poor message? Why resist advancing the character past his origin?
    We see it. A LOT of folks see it. They thought tossing him in JL was going to be it. Problem with that is you still need that person to be active, have development and showcased.

I mean if you look at Mr Terrific in JSA, Prodigy in New X-Men Academy, Synch in Generation X, Night Thrasher in New Warriors & Flint in Inhumans. They ALL had arcs in those books. Heck you saw how powerful Prodigy & Synch could be in those books.

It's made WORST when you look at other companies with black guys doing whatever. Thus making it a harder sale of Cyborg.

They wanted Vic to be A-list in the New52 but must've thought that just putting him in the League would do the trick. When they did finally get around to a solo title they didnt put major talent on it and stuck their noses into the creative end. I think DC wants Vic to be a big deal but don't want to put the effort in.
    Because it somewhat worked with others. However the difference between those others and Cyborg is you saw many of them in other books and they had arcs as stated earlier.
    I remember Justice League of the 87 team. Ice & Fire got a story in DC Showcase and some of them were featured in ads for AIDS Awareness.

If I was to go by what DC tossed out in terms of merchandise for Justice League (not counting the Direct to DVD & live action movie)-I would have thought Justice League was only 4 white guys named Hal, Barry, Clark & Bruce. I saw a Justice League portfolio it was the 70s team with Jose Lopez Garica art. JL valentines-George Perez 80s art with Catwoman, Supergirl & Babs. Another item showcase the Timms Justice League.

I mean where is the effort? To DATE I have seen Black Panther birthday, Father's Day & Get Well cards. Black Panther tooth brush, Gift wrap & Black Panther Body wash. Cyborg can't get that?

I think if they ever try to do another Cyborg solo, they should put a ban on having him fight other robots and cyborgs. Seriously, that's all they ever give him. A hero's most interesting villains are always the ones that are different from them. Superman doesn't only fight Kryptonians, Batman doesn't only fight powerless rich orphans with preptime, the Flash doesn't only fight speedsters, Spider-Man doesn't only fight spider-powered people. Lex Luthor is nothing like Superman. The Joker is nothing like Batman. The Rogues are nothing like the Flash. Green Goblin is nothing like Spider-Man.

Have him fight the Floronic Man or something.

(Also, get him away from his dad and the constant labs. Have Vic attending college or something)

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Honestly I don't see how you can, I don't think anybody would be happy with losing half their face. Being happy and upbeat is cool but it should come after he learns to cope with it.
    I was telling my non-comics-reading friend about Cyborg's origin once, and he specifically asked me "Is he angsty and sad about becoming a cyborg?" When I answered yes, he immediately lost all interest. "Being a cyborg is too cool for me to sympathize when him angsting about it."

There's a reason why the most popular version of Cyborg is the one from the Teen Titans cartoon. Because he has fun.
    Last edited by H-E-D; 07-02-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I think if they ever try to do another Cyborg solo, they should put a ban on having him fight other robots and cyborgs. Seriously, that's all they ever give him. A hero's most interesting villains are always the ones that are different from them. Superman doesn't only fight Kryptonians, Batman doesn't only fight powerless rich orphans with preptime, the Flash doesn't only fight speedsters, Spider-Man doesn't only fight spider-powered people. Lex Luthor is nothing like Superman. The Joker is nothing like Batman. The Rogues are nothing like the Flash. Green Goblin is nothing like Spider-Man.
    This isn't exactly correct Superman rogue gallery is mostly powerhouses Mongol, Doomsday, Zod, Darkseid,etc Flash has acquired a bunch of speedster as villains Zoom,Reverse flash, Savitar, Godspeed, Batman primarily fights Crime Bosses with henchmen or themed supervillains. Spiderman mostly fights guys semi smart guys with tech suits. You are correct in that is not only thing that they fight but primarily they fight a type of villain. Aquaman is going to face off against villains who live in water ,Cyborg is going to fight against villains who have tech. Yes they do throw too many tech villians at Cyborg but it does make sense why and yes they should contrast them more. And the opposite of hero is common theme with villains as well Iron Man fight the Mandarin who use Magic, Superman fights Lex who is Brains, Flash fights Captain Cold and cold is opposite of speed in a sense.

When they try to do another Cyborg solo somebody like Joker or Ra's al ghul or Starro or Clayface would be interesting. But Cyborg does have a pocket that he is in and problem isn't that he fighting tech villains the problem he is fighting trash tech villains. They are doing a bad job of making these new villians feel like prestige villains. That is why you borrow villians from other characters until couple of those guys catch on. Cyborg is the "elite tech guy" in the DC universe just like Flash is Speed guy,Green Lantern is Space guy, Wonder Woman is Mythological woman, Aquaman is Ocean guy, Dr Fate or John Constantine is Magic guy etc. The best heroes have a elite niche. So if you are trying to make Cyborg stand out as solo hero he should be facing off against the best guys like Brainiac,Professor Ivo, Lex Luthor, The Thinker,etc not random trash tech heroes. In comics you are the competition if a villain face off against Batman,Superman or Justice League enough the become elite and Reverse is true if c-list hero faces off against establish villians in well written stories they be seen as elite themselves.

Also I think Star Labs is fine, They are just using it wrong. Cyborg can be independent contractor/consultant for Star Labs and Star Labs is the first place anyone calls something strange alien, paranormal, Tech, Robotic,etc.Then story are simple to write Cyborg and his team go to area run into random problem. Star Labs also gives him a easy cast of characters. And if Flash doesn't want to use them I think Cyborg could use Vibe and Killer Frost as supporting characters for example. Maybe not quite CSI Cyborg idea people are suggesting but if Cyborg should be the go guy for tech stuff and just like John Constantine or Zatanna shows up for a Magic story in random DC books. Cyborg should be the go to for tech. And in the modern era tech is everything so when executed correctly Cyborg is the modern day hero
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 07-03-2019 at 04:01 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    This isn't exactly correct Superman rogue gallery is mostly powerhouses Mongol, Doomsday, Zod, Darkseid,etc Flash has acquired a bunch of speedster as villains Zoom,Reverse flash, Savitar, Godspeed, Batman primarily fights Crime Bosses with henchmen or themed supervillains. Spiderman mostly fights guys semi smart guys with tech suits. You are correct in that is not only thing that they fight but primarily they fight a type of villain. Aquaman is going to face off against villains who live in water ,Cyborg is going to fight against villains who have tech. Yes they do throw too many tech villians at Cyborg but it does make sense why and yes they should contrast them more. And the opposite of hero is common theme with villains as well Iron Man fight the Mandarin who use Magic, Superman fights Lex who is Brains, Flash fights Captain Cold and cold is opposite of speed in a sense.

When they try to do another Cyborg solo somebody like Joker or Ra's al ghul or Starro or Clayface would be interesting. But Cyborg does have a pocket that he is in and problem isn't that he fighting tech villains the problem he is fighting trash tech villains. They are doing a bad job of making these new villians feel like prestige villains. That is why you borrow villians from other characters until couple of those guys catch on. Cyborg is the "elite tech guy" in the DC universe just like Flash is Speed guy,Green Lantern is Space guy, Wonder Woman is Mythological woman, Aquaman is Ocean guy, Dr Fate or John Constantine is Magic guy etc. The best heroes have a elite niche. So if you are trying to make Cyborg stand out as solo hero he should be facing off against the best guys like Brainiac,Professor Ivo, Lex Luthor, The Thinker,etc not random trash tech heroes. In comics you are the competition if a villain face off against Batman,Superman or Justice League enough the become elite and Reverse is true if c-list hero faces off against establish villians in well written stories they be seen as elite themselves.

Also I think Star Labs is fine, They are just using it wrong. Cyborg can be independent contractor/consultant for Star Labs and Star Labs is the first place anyone calls something strange alien, paranormal, Tech, Robotic,etc.Then story are simple to write Cyborg and his team go to area run into random problem. Star Labs also gives him a easy cast of characters. And if Flash doesn't want to use them I think Cyborg could use Vibe and Killer Frost as supporting characters for example. Maybe not quite CSI Cyborg idea people are suggesting but if Cyborg should be the go guy for tech stuff and just like John Constantine or Zatanna shows up for a Magic story in random DC books. Cyborg should be the go to for tech. And in the modern era tech is everything so when executed correctly Cyborg is the modern day hero
    In his last solo series Cyborg has the Digital Multiverse that was created out of the technological singularity by unseen powerful entities. Brainiac could easily be one of the beings who created the Digital Multiverse. There should have been some follow up elsewhere in the DC Universe but DC seem to have abandon that run and erased Cyborg's supporting cast. A Cyborg series focusing on the Digital Universe featuring Brainiac could easily go for 100 issues and also could help explain continuity problems in the DC Universe. Like maybe Bar Tar, the Kid Flash from the new 52 Teen Titans came from the Digital Universe.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    We've outright stated this isn't the origin we want. Wakeneuron suggested a radioactive NPC transponder crawls underneath his skin and he becomes Cyborg, who can change between his human and cybernetic forms at will and thus will be happy.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

BANNED

We've outright stated this isn't the origin we want. Wakeneuron suggested a radioactive NPC transponder crawls underneath his skin and he becomes Cyborg, who can change between his human and cybernetic forms at will and thus will be happy.
    I think what some of you want is a completely different character.

For some, it seems like the only thing that is really drawing them to Cyborg is that he's the black male tbat DC is most prominently promoting. It seems many people do not actually like his actual character traits. I mean, I don't blame them, but that's what it is looking like to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post

For some, it seems like the only thing that is really drawing them to Cyborg is that he's the black male tbat DC is most prominently promoting. It seems many people do not actually like his actual character traits. I mean, I don't blame them, but that's what it is looking like to me.
    This.

The character many of them are describing doesn't and never has existed within Cyborg.

Cyborg is a great Black Male character. Those who are really interested in him would read the titles where he was the most popular. Aka old school Teen Titans books. Then they would probably have a better appreciation of him.

Otherwise, if they are expecting another radical change for the character they will probably just be waiting for a really long time. At best they will get a current day Cyborg who is less boring, which is what he tends to suffer from more so then many of the other concerns that pop up in this thread.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Well for me I like Cyborg because he's Cyborg. If I liked a superhero just because he's black I would read and collect Black Panther and be very happy. Frankly I'm surprised that I'm not reading and collecting Black Panther because he's the living embodiment of Black Roots Science.

But I understand where you're coming from. This is suppose to be an appreciation thread but many people complain and post changes they would make to the character (including myself) when they should be appreciating what he is now. Maybe someone should start a thread that suggests changes. But like I've posted before Cyborg has been human before and DC quickly turned him back so I think that DC is steadfast on keeping him in his current look. My main complaint has been the cancellation of his last solo series mid-story without an ending and resolution and DC erasing his supporting characters.
    Last edited by Wakeneuron; 07-03-2019 at 05:07 PM.

BANNED

Well, I don't mind people posting changes they'd like to make, but it seems like they're to the point where you're changing the character so much, I wonder why people who post these things like him.

People don't like Cyborg's origin.

People don't like Cyborg hanging out with the Teen Titans (who he was created specifically to be with) because they think that holds him back.

People don't like Cyborg's look.

People don't like Cyborg's personality, at least much of the time.

They think his powers are boring unless he's becoming a New God.

What is it exactly that's drawing some to the character if there is so much with him that needs to be changed?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeneuron View Post
    Well for me I like Cyborg because he's Cyborg. If I liked a superhero just because he's black I would read and collect Black Panther and be very happy. Frankly I'm surprised that I'm not reading and collecting Black Panther because he's the living embodiment of Black Roots Science.

But I understand where you're coming from. This is suppose to be an appreciation thread but many people complain and post changes they would make to the character (including myself) when they should be appreciating what he is now. Maybe someone should start a thread that suggests changes. But like I've posted before Cyborg has been human before and DC quickly turned him back so I think that DC is steadfast on keeping him in his current look. My main complaint has been the cancellation of his last solo series mid-story without an ending and resolution and DC erasing his supporting characters.
    Appreciate what??? Dc does NOT get a gold star for failing to do what is required of them.

Don't scream Cyborg is A list or the big leagues and then do as LITTLE as you can to support that.

I can not sell this character to black kids. Not with some Wakandan King & Biracial Spider-Man & 2 nerdy black girls running around.

DC has to put up an EFFORT. Folks are asking for EFFORT. Because when I go into stores they are talking about ONE black person of DC-NAOMI. How does yet ANOTHER new person bypass Cyborg and did it in less than half a year.

Oh that is right no effort. You get tired of seeing the likes of Antman, Wasp, GOTG and others get support. So we are going have him as the ONLY leaguer to not have a film.

You pretty much go Inspector Gadget 2019 on your roster. He is a toyline waiting to happen. Yet no one cares.

Ultimate Member

Well, I don't mind people posting changes they'd like to make, but it seems like they're to the point where you're changing the character so much, I wonder why people who post these things like him.

People don't like Cyborg's origin.

People don't like Cyborg hanging out with the Teen Titans (who he was created specifically to be with) because they think that holds him back.

People don't like Cyborg's look.

People don't like Cyborg's personality, at least much of the time.

They think his powers are boring unless he's becoming a New God.

What is it exactly that's drawing some to the character if there is so much with him that needs to be changed?
    Folks can overlook that when they see DEVELOPMENT.

Why does he have a mother box that is LINKED to New Gods-if we are not going to do anything with it.

Because he is the face of black heroes. Because John Stewart will NEVER be that. Nor Vixen, Aqualad, Black Lightning and everyone else.