Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Default Elliot S! Maggin Has A Podcast Where He Reads His Superman Books

Bronze Age Superman writer Elliot S! Maggin has a podcast titled Elliot Makes Stuff Up, he did several episodes doing the entire reading of Miracle Monday and he's currently doing one for The Last Son Of Krypton.

https://maggin.libsyn.com/
    Last edited by BBally; 01-21-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

BBally, you're a beautiful human being for this, and I know what I'm listening to going to work and every time I'm in a car. Outstanding.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    BBally, you're a beautiful human being for this, and I know what I'm listening to going to work and every time I'm in a car. Outstanding.
    My pleasure, been listening to his podcast and thought this deserves more listeners. While not at the same quality as other Superman related podcast like From Crisis To Crisis, there's something wholesome about a writer like Maggin doing a podcast to talk about his work as well as actually reading his work.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Incredible Member

I hope he republishes Last Son of Krypton like he did Miracle Monday a couple of years ago.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    I hope he republishes Last Son of Krypton like he did Miracle Monday a couple of years ago.
    https://www.amazon.com/Last-Son-Kryp...son+of+krypton

I got you, bro!
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    Hahaha, how did I miss that! Thank you! You've earned your screen name today.

Wow! Really. I have heard a lot about him. Superman fans praise him a lot. Mark Millar mentioned him and another writer (whose name i am forgetting at the moment) as among the few who got Superman's voice exactly right.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Wow! Really. I have heard a lot about him. Superman fans praise him a lot. Mark Millar mentioned him and another writer (whose name i am forgetting at the moment) as among the few who got Superman's voice exactly right.
    The other writer in question would be Mark Waid.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I heard the first two chapters read aloud, I absolutely love how effortlessly Maggin is able to blend small town Clark with Kal. The vision for the character seems so complete. Hearing young Clark lament about a dog dying and his wondering if he could of done more works so much better than the MOS scene where Pa and Clark discuss saving a bus full of kids. I really think if you are going to deconstruct Superman you have to a clear vision as to who the character is from day one. I am in awe of that scene from the first chapter where Clark discovers a virus affecting grasshoppers.

The other writer in question would be Mark Waid.
    At that point i was thinking of Cary Bates. But i couldn't remember that. Yeah. The other names he mentioned were Mark Waid and Alan Moore. Plus, Superman:The Movie. Its fun to hear from writers who write great stuff.

Wait, he republished Last Son Of Krypton? Why was there no publicity for this?

Great Moons of Krypton! How on Earth did this slip by me?!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I heard the first two chapters read aloud, I absolutely love how effortlessly Maggin is able to blend small town Clark with Kal. The vision for the character seems so complete. Hearing young Clark lament about a dog dying and his wondering if he could of done more works so much better than the MOS scene where Pa and Clark discuss saving a bus full of kids. I really think if you are going to deconstruct Superman you have to a clear vision as to who the character is from day one. I am in awe of that scene from the first chapter where Clark discovers a virus affecting grasshoppers.
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of Man of Steel too, in part because I don't see it as a deconstruction to begin with I think, but I think Maggin has one of the best, if not the the best, handle on Superman out of any writer in the history of the character, and he's unequivocally my favorite Luthor writer.

I remember hearing that Elliot Maggin was pitched to the Salkinds as the scriptwriter for Superman the Movie, but too many people involved wanted a glitzy, high profile writer, so they went with Mario Puzo instead. It's really a shame! I know that the movie version is the ideal for a lot of people, but for me it just doesn't measure up to the comics that DC was putting out at the time, and certainly not to the novels that Maggin wrote! But if Maggin had written the movie scripts, I think they'd be completely unsurpassable to this day.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I just heard Chapter 4/ The Wave and I don't think there has been a more magnificent version of a "super-feat out there. I remember when I first read these books a few years back. Maggin is able to capture the total violation of physics that Superman is capable of given his power set. He describes Superman's powers in the context of science, or at least pseudoscience, like Alan Moore and Grant Morrison, but without any sense of irony or transgression. I really do think this is a must read/listen to set of books.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Elliot S! Maggin also has two Superman short stories that are really, really good. "Starwinds Howl" (about Krypto) and "Luthor's Gift."

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I just heard Chapter 4/ The Wave and I don't think there has been a more magnificent version of a "super-feat out there. I remember when I first read these books a few years back. Maggin is able to capture the total violation of physics that Superman is capable of given his power set. He describes Superman's powers in the context of science, or at least pseudoscience, like Alan Moore and Grant Morrison, but without any sense of irony or transgression. I really do think this is a must read/listen to set of books.
    "Without any sense of irony or transgression"--I love how you've phrased this! That's it exactly.