Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Genius View Post
    I have zero doubt that the 'adult themes' they were concerned about existed mainly in Snagglepus.
    Snagglepuss was a powerful story, but there were things in there (issue 5 primarily) that hit me hard. I won't be able to listen to "My Darling Clementine" again without thinking of this story. But if that was a problem, HB probably had the opportunity to prevent that stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Flintstones is a tough call. The stories I hear were awesome (haven't read them) but from what I've heard, put that series more in line with the original couple of years of Flintstones on prime time with content updated for standards now as opposed to more than a half century ago. The problem some people (me among them) was that the art was more realistic and the characters didn't look like they did in the cartoon. Of course with a cartoon look, it's tougher to sell a more adult story.
    That's fair.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Spectacular Member

An adult oriented Flintstones is really bringing the series back to its roots as it was a primetime cartoon rather a Saturday morning cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Doesn’t this lead credence that this is just a bunch of bullshit?
    Don't let facts get in the way of an opportunity for everyone to show they can complain.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-13-2019 at 08:39 AM.

Don't forget this. Great job protecting that brand wb.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Don't forget this. Great job protecting that brand wb.

Imagine, this would be a DC (under the Black Label imprint) 6-issue mini-series, only it be titled THE UNTOLD CASES OF HARVEY BIRDMAN: ATTORNEY AT LAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Took them a while though. What took them so long?
    They probably allowed the experimentations when they thought the HB properties were small fry in the current age.

But now that WB Animation wants to use these IP's to make lucrative cinematic franchises (a Scooby film is supposed to hit theatres next summer, starring the likes of Zac Efron and Amanda Seyfried, and there are plans for The Jetsons and Wacky Races too), they probably dropped the cancellation hammer to avoid weird fringe groups like that One Million Moms from banning the HB movies and shows coz Snagglepuss is gay in the comix.

they probably dropped the cancellation hammer to avoid weird fringe groups like that One Million Moms from banning the HB movies and shows coz Snagglepuss is gay in the comix.
    But them killing kids in banana splits, curse words, sex jokes, and drug jokes in harvey birdman and killing them in gory ways in robot chicken (all wb shows) is fine.

Who is in charge of hanna barbera at wb? They are awful at their job.

BANNED

To be honest the idea of WB finally getting reinterested in the property of Hanna-barbera is a surprising one given how long they kept avoiding the property that isn't Scooby-Doo and/or Flintstones, given the Fruity Pebbles cereal.

Here's hoping it could lead into new kids comics for series in the near future. Maybe WB/DC should take a leaf from Marvel and allow other companies to do the kids comics for a while.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    To be honest the idea of WB finally getting reinterested in the property of Hanna-barbera is a surprising one given how long they kept avoiding the property that isn't Scooby-Doo and/or Flintstones, given the Fruity Pebbles cereal.

Here's hoping it could lead into new kids comics for series in the near future. Maybe WB/DC should take a leaf from Marvel and allow other companies to do the kids comics for a while.
    I suspect WB wants everything in house, the DC Kids label will likely be the home to any Looney Tunes, Hanna-Barbera comics.

The reason they're interested in H-B again is probably because they want to mine the IP for new projects,

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    But them killing kids in banana splits, curse words, sex jokes, and drug jokes in harvey birdman and killing them in gory ways in robot chicken (all wb shows) is fine.

Who is in charge of hanna barbera at wb? They are awful at their job.
    Dude, you are giving those things way too much weight.

1. The Banana Splits aren't the HB characters WB is interested in, they're never making a comeback, they're not going to show up in Scooby or Wacky Races or anything else. WB don't care about the Splits and never will again, so they're okay with them becoming a Five Nights at Freddy's ripoff.

2. Dude, Harvey Birdman and Robot Chicken are fringe gag shows on Adult Swim, WB don't care about that crud. It's all forgettable parody nonsense that leaves no lasting impression and won't hit mainstream consciousness. No one can take it seriously, so it's fine. While a comic book on the other hand, even if it has less of an audience than a fringe gag show on adult swim, is perceived as a more serious thing, it's something people could point to as a big deal and be -slightly- taken seriously over, because that's serial non-parody storytelling that theoretically could leave an impact or at least an impression. You are way overestimating the importance of Harvey Birdman and Robot Chicken to the perception of these characters. A handful of parody skits are fine, serious reinterpretations that people take seriously are not.

Edit: For the record I'm not saying Robot Chicken itself as a show can't hit mainstream consciousness, just that their short gag versions of HB characters can never by anyone be thought of as in any way definitive, and that's the key on why they can get away with it and serious and acclaimed comics can not.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 07-15-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Spectacular Member

Harvey Birdman debuted in 2001 so if anything was really offended by it then they would done so then.

If WB were really offended by Robot Chicken, they would had it cancelled it years ago, they've even approved 3 DC specials so clearly they like the show.

Dude, Harvey Birdman and Robot Chicken are fringe gag shows on Adult Swim, WB don't care about that crud. It's all forgettable parody nonsense that leaves no lasting impression and won't hit mainstream consciousness.
    By that logic, there should be no issue here. I cannot think of an entertainment medium that currently has less impact on mainstream consciousness than your average monthly comic book, which sells at best what, 100 thousand copies? And I'm guessing these Hanna Barbera books haven't exactly been doing big crossover numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    By that logic, there should be no issue here. I cannot think of an entertainment medium that currently has less impact on mainstream consciousness than your average monthly comic book, which sells at best what, 100 thousand copies? And I'm guessing these Hanna Barbera books haven't exactly been doing big crossover numbers.
    But they're not dumb gag/joke parody books as I understand it. I haven't read any, but the reviews makes it all sound like more serious if perhaps satirical content tackling some more mature and thought provoking subjects. It's not all about numbers, as I mentioned further on in that post you quoted, despite having less of an audience it has the disadvantage of being taken more seriously, and serious content is more likely to register to an executive who reads the book or sees the reviews in social media than some 5 second joke on Robot Chicken. Smaller numbers, but registers more of an impact on those who do read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The difference here is the more serious, socially relevant stuff gets press and press gets attention. A Robot Chicken or Family Guy parody can do the exact same "Snagglepuss is gay" theme and not get noticed. A deeper, more serious piece (as DC's series was) gets noticed.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/snagg...b0a02abe92cbc6

https://www.salon.com/2019/06/10/sna...-comic-series/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...wright-1048870