Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default DC losing hanna-barbera comics over WB not happy at "adult" comics?

Has this been posted?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01...PF7--P1EnemEcA

Bleeding Cool already reported that Scooby Doo Apocalypse is canceled with issue 36 in April. However, I am told that this isn’t down to sales, a natural end, or need for a creative refresh. I am told not to expect any more of the Hanna-Barbera reinventions known as Hanna-Barbera Beyond that DC Comics has published over the last two-and-a-half years, that have been both critically acclaimed and profitable for the publisher.
    Bleeding Cool has been told by good sources that all the Hanna-Barbera properties will be canned at DC Comics this year. It’s all down to the Warner Bros executive in charge of the licensing of these properties to DC who is increasingly unhappy with the way the characters have been reinvented, from a 1950s gay playwright version of Snagglepuss, the topically politically satirical Flintstones or, indeed, the post-apocalyptic Scooby Doo.

While the likes of Archie Comics is happy to reinvent their characters in a variety of forms aimed at adult audiences, from raw horror, to teen sex drama, and spawning the likes of the Riverdale and Sabrina TV series, Warner Bros has decided that’s not the direction they want for the Hanna-Barbera intellectual properties.

So a adult scooby comic is bad but it's ok to shot bugs bunny in the head in robot chicken and kill judy jetson off in Harvey birdman who is coming back in a new series. Huh?

(By the way I want classic hanna barbera family aimed comics myself but was not upset at the dc adult ones. I had scooby team up for family comics. I do love the dell comics cartoon books however and miss those kind of books)

So is scooby team up dead also? What about looney tunes?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Has this been posted?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01...PF7--P1EnemEcA

So a adult scooby comic is bad but it's ok to shot bugs bunny in the head in robot chicken and kill judy jetson off in Harvey birdman who is coming back in a new series. Huh?

(By the way I want classic hanna barbera family aimed comics myself but was not upset at the dc adult ones. I had scooby team up for family comics. I do love the dell comics cartoon books however and miss those kind of books)

So is scooby team up dead also? What about looney tunes?
    Scooby Doo team up is separate from the "Dark" Hanna Barbara comics.
    The Looney Tunes crossovers... I don't know.

What I didn't like about the HB books was the visual-redesign. I would've gave the books a shot if they looked like the characters they're supposed to be. Suth Park and Family Guy show you can have more mature/adult themes while maintaining a 'cartoony' look.

Once again WB wants to quell creativity and critically-acclaimed storytelling... it’s as if they don’t understand they own Watchman, TDKR, and stuff.

They seem to understand that Batman works on various levels, but nothing else should. An unfortunate POV that will cost them creatives and cash.

BANNED

They should have taken a leaf of the Looney Tunes/DC crossover and make it half live action and half animated in a way. They should have pulled the plug on this idea from the start as it make me feel uncomfortable when I view these.

I mean honestly...DC and WB should do everything they to bring the iconic Hanna-Barbera characters back to their former glory, but for a new generation of viewers.

I am just tired of seeing constant Scooby-doo reboots/remakes all over TV. Trying bring back Magilla Gorilla or Yogi Bear for a modern audience for once.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Are WB looking to do something with these character anytime soon? Because WB WASN'T DOING ANYTHING with the Hanna Barbera properties anyway. All they do is reboot Scooby-Doo every damn couple years. Like, WB isn't even doing anything with the Looney Tunes property.

Kinda seems like a bad business call considering how popular the reinventions and updates have been to the properties, and I say this as someone who's a diehard fan of classic Hanna Barbera stuff in all their original glory.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Like, WB isn't even doing anything with the Looney Tunes property.
    Last I heard they were going to start making animated shorts to have play before movies, although I'm not sure if those have seen the light of day yet.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Scooby Doo Team Up had Big Barda recently, that's beyond dope.

Aquaman/Jabberjaw by Dan Abnett was fun. Mark Russell's Flintstones was pretty well done.

All of Jeff Parker's stuff has been A+.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-21-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Incredible Member

Hopefully, these works will end up as trade paperbacks.

This was a DUMB move, by an executive who clearly doesn't understand that the HB stuff is mostly dead culturally and this was doing a small bit to getting attention back on it.

Spectacular Member

Looks like the sad, ruined Future Quest version of the Impossibles HAS no future!!!!!! GREAT STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Are WB looking to do something with these character anytime soon? Because WB WASN'T DOING ANYTHING with the Hanna Barbera properties anyway. All they do is reboot Scooby-Doo every damn couple years. Like, WB isn't even doing anything with the Looney Tunes property.
    WB is working on several animated movies :

SCOOBY Doo is currently under production with a 2020 release date.
    JETSONS movie by Conrad Vernon (Sausague Party co-director).
    FLINTSTONE animated movie.
    WACKY RACES animated movie.
    COYOTE vs ACME (live action hybrid).
    JONNY QUEST movie by Chris Mckey (Lego Batman director).
    TOM & JERRY (live action hybrid).
    LOONY TOONES CARTOONS start this year.
    Last edited by JimmySpectre; 01-22-2019 at 05:25 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    This was a DUMB move, by an executive who clearly doesn't understand that the HB stuff is mostly dead culturally and this was doing a small bit to getting attention back on it.
    True, but out of all of them it felt like Jeff Parker kept the spirit of the Hannna-Barbera action world alive with Future Quest and their iconic look.

The rest of the lineup just felt more like a big scary mess in my eyes instead of the simplistic ways of old. Sometimes a simple story is better than having a complex social agenda story.

That is what Hanna-Barbera was in my eyes: Simple, straightforward and easy to be enjoyed.

This is actually one of the good things about licensed properties.
    The publisher is held accountable to the approval of the IP controller.
    If the IP controller feels the material is inappropriate for the property they can pull the license.

I really wouldn’t be surprised if the mainstream attention that Batpenis, Heroes in Crisis (and now the Lois Lane snuff comic) has made the DC association influence the decision.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-22-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    This is actually one of the good things about licensed properties.
    The publisher is held accountable to the approval of the IP controller.
    If the IP controller feels the material is inappropriate for the property they can pull the license.

I really wouldn’t be surprised if the mainstream attention that Batpenis, Heroes in Crisis (and now the Lois Lane snuff comic) has made the DC association influence the decision.
    Only the Batman Damned one has any potential to be an issue in the real world, the other two are internet drama, and mild at that.

But you are right that people who control IP want to protect it, and in this case WB/HB are probably testing the market for their IP and an analysis shows that the mature line of comics is working against whatever image is needed to sell these brands to the target audience that any prospective licensees cater to.