Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I wouldn't go so far as to say she's a robot or that she is missing other vital elements, but yeah it does come across that she's more...muted? without it.

We live in a society that is still prudish and has weird ideas when it comes to female sexuality. I think having a virtuous, powerful, compassionate heroine who is unashamed of her healthy sex drive and speaks out against shaming non-traditional sexual desires is pretty important.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I said what I said and I stand by it.

And there's nothing "vague" about it. It's a pretty cleanly defined term and problem we're talking about. It's not the end-all be-all of course, Diana's never lost her compassion or empathy even if she's lost her libido, but if you don't see why it's a problem, go try and take Lois Lane out of Superman's life without Clark finding a new love interest to share his affection and bed. See how well that goes over. It's not okay for Clark, it's not okay for Diana. The only difference is, DC *did* take Diana's love interest away for years, and people just got used to it. But being accustomed to something doesn't mean that thing is okay.
    Kind of more of what I was getting at, it's important but I don't see as the end-all be-all that ruins her character in the same way making her battle-craving warrior does.

Though I'd say taking Steve away as love interest is more just representative of editorial/writers just seeing her status quo and continuity as less important to stick to/preserve than Superman or Batman's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Kind of more of what I was getting at, it's important but I don't see as the end-all be-all that ruins her character in the same way making her battle-craving warrior does.
    I'd argue that one led to the other. DC for a long time removed all the elements that make Diana unique and special, and that left a mere shell of a character that DC still needed to keep around. And then someone came up with the idea of the battle-craving warrior Diana, and DC felt like they had finally managed to "do" something with Diana.

Except she's still an empty shell. That's partly why nothing sticks to the character anymore.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Both end up missing the point. Diana is neither a blood thirsty warrior nor a celibate virgin goddess. One is more obvious at a glance than the other, but both miss the purpose and point of the character equally.

Though I'd say taking Steve away as love interest is more just representative of editorial/writers just seeing her status quo and continuity as less important to stick to/preserve than Superman or Batman's.
    DC screwing up and undervaluing the IP for decades (and counting) does not make it okay. It just means they've made a habit out of being bad at their job.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Both end up missing the point. Diana is neither a blood thirsty warrior nor a celibate virgin goddess. One is more obvious at a glance than the other, but both miss the purpose and point of the character equally.
    Fair enough.

DC screwing up and undervaluing the IP for decades (and counting) does not make it okay. It just means they've made a habit out of being bad at their job.
    Well, I wasn't saying it was. I think we agree on that.

No.

There was a panel in Simone's run where Diana does an Amazon mating ritual with Nemesis (she gives him a seashell or something). Nemesis works out that Diana lived on an island of only women and Diana winks at the audience.

So yeah I've been cool with Diana dating girls since then. I have concerns over the cheesecake factor but horny fans are gonna find anything horny so I'll get over it. There's the moral guardian outrage but that's gonna happen regardless.