Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Super powers that are almost always given to heroic figures rather then villains

For example, I can name several stretchy heroes (Mr. Fantastic, Plastic man, Luffy),but struggle To think of many stretchy villains.

On the flip side their aren’t to many heroes with mind control powers. ( telepaths like professor X probably have the ability but rarely use it in that way).

Well, with your examples, Madame Rouge, Super Skrull, and Rubber Band Man spring to mind for stretchiness (not counting more general shapeshifters like White Martians or non-super Skrulls).

Aquaman is the main 'mind controller' who I think of, but yeah, most heroes who do have some sort of mind control tend to not use it as such. Jedi mind trickery also could count.

My nomination would be healing. I don't know of many villains whose primary power would be to heal (aside from 'doctors', but I'm talking more power-wise than skill).

It's interesting that KSD consciously and actively decided to switch the expression of Aquaman's power away from "control fish" to "ask fish for help" in her ongoing run.

Healing is probably a good one, but Winnowill in Elfquest was primarily a healer (though that wasn't a superhero comic). Come to think of it, I can't think of too many superhero healers at all. I'd be happy to be contrary evidence, though.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Flight as a sole power.

Now villains certainly get the package deal (flight/super strength/other powers)

But as a sole power (or primary power) I can think of heroes (Angel, the Hawks etc) but not too many villains.

On the flip side are there any heroes who have shapeshifting as their main power? Martian Manhunter obviously but that's one of his billion other powers. You don't see too many Mystiques, Chameleons, or Toga (My hero Academia) on the hero side.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Flight as a sole power.

Now villains certainly get the package deal (flight/super strength/other powers)

But as a sole power (or primary power) I can think of heroes (Angel, the Hawks etc) but not too many villains.

On the flip side are there any heroes who have shapeshifting as their main power? Martian Manhunter obviously but that's one of his billion other powers. You don't see too many Mystiques, Chameleons, or Toga (My hero Academia) on the hero side.
    Gypsy evolved to that point during Ostrander's Martian Manhunter run, but she could only mimic people close to her in size and weight (she couldn't lose or gain mass). Some heroes have a limited form of shapeshifting, like Beast Boy and...well, Plastic Man, although he is again somewhat limited in what he can pull off. His form of shapeshifting seems more like super-advanced stretchy powers than true form alteration.

I forgot Marvel's Hulkling as a shapeshifter. Or really any time a Skrull goes heroic for more than a single arc.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 07-31-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Chameleon Kid springs to mind, from LoSH.

Villains with flight as a sole power-- well, Vulture is the one that springs to mind. I mean, he has enhanced strength and durability, but so do the Hawks...

...but yeah, I'm hard pressed to think of many more for either example offhand.

Flight as a sole power.

You know the second I come back to this I completely forgot about the Vulture. Stupid me.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Boisterously Confused

Force fields. Beyond Unus the Untouchable, you don't seem to run into a lot of force fields as a sole or primary ability on the wrong side of the street. That's particularly surprising to me as the ability to stand there and laugh off the heroes best efforts would seem to be one that would really suit a villain.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Force fields. Beyond Unus the Untouchable, you don't seem to run into a lot of force fields as a sole or primary ability on the wrong side of the street. That's particularly surprising to me as the ability to stand there and laugh off the heroes best efforts would seem to be one that would really suit a villain.
    The only other one that comes to mind is a hero brainwashed into a villainous lackey - when Skids was working for Stryfe. Soooooo much 90s.
    Dark does not mean deep.

You know the second I come back to this I completely forgot about the Vulture. Stupid me.
    lol happens to all of us!

Just don't forget ol' Toomsy too much... it gives him a complex.

BoothFlat1.jpg

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Healing powers (healing others, not oneself) seems to be exclusively a hero power.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Healing powers (healing others, not oneself) seems to be exclusively a hero power.
    X'ian from X-Men2099 had a secondary healing mutation. He straddled the line for most of the series after his secondary mutation.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    There's Fabian Cortez and Empyrean from the x books. The Morlocks had a healer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    There's Fabian Cortez and Empyrean from the x books. The Morlocks had a healer as well.
    I thought Cortez was more of a power booster than a healer.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I thought Cortez was more of a power booster than a healer.
    Yup. And how was the Morlocks healer ever a bad guy?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!