Page 15 of 80 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    DK Metcalf was all primed to go down as the star of this combine and raise his draft stock considerably. Then he had a 3 cone time worse than Tom Brady and now he's a major red flag
    Metcalf may be one of the most intriguing prospects that I can remember in some time. I'm of the opinion that the 40 is one of the least telling aspects of whether or not a player will be good in the NFL. It shows some basic raw athleticism, but so rarely are you running 40 yards in a straight line. The poor 3 cone is a big red flag.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Sometimes a big Combine star doesn't make for a great selection. Case in point....Mike Mamula and Jon Harris by the Eagles in 1995. Mamula is pointed out because he had a huge Combine and made teams go crazy where the Eagles traded up and bypassed Hall of Fame DT Warren Sapp.

http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelphi...-or-jon-harris

-
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

USA Today ran a Top 10 Combine players who became NFL busts. The one about Tebow who never threw at the Combine but just impressed the Broncos through his intelligence at knowing an offense was the wildest part of this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ts/2946273002/

I do remember Stephen Hill being a bust in the 2nd rd and how he never worked out. People brought up his top of the line speed but he never could translate that into running routes etc in the NFL. The same issue killed Howard-Bey as he was drafted by Al Davis who worshiped speed above all else. Bey was a colossal bust and what made it wild is ...Michael Crabtree (a player later who ended up in Oakland anyhow) was there.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Word has it Nick Foles will sign with Jacksonville after the league opens its new business year on March 13th. I’d say Nick will end up in a darn good situation as the Jaguars are still one of the top teams in the AFC despite last season’s stumble, so he’ll be able to contend for the playoffs right away. Meanwhile, it looks like Blake Bortles will be released after Foles is signed.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Foles is the best FA on the market at QB and once he's off teams will have to look at picking up lesser QB's or going draft route. Denver and Miami its reported are trying to trade their QB's out. But the cap numbers are a big obstacle to this as no one will want to pay Keenum $18+ million this season as well as Tannehill $19+ million. So both will get released more than likely.

I feel so pleased for Nick Foles. He was a solid QB that 1st stint in Philadelphia. He really could have became their franchise QB then given how solid he ran that Chip Kelly system. But his offensive line got him beaten up for half a season , they traded his top WR as well so he was in a lose/lose situation and Kelly blamed him for the offense. Then he traded Foles to the Rams for a fresh start approach.

Foles there watched as the team praised him in the off-season then as the offensive game plan was **** and with no real weapons at WR ; Foles was blamed by Jeff Fisher and ran out of town within a season. It was like the ultimate in horse **** to do to Nick Foles and blame him for the overall team lacking. But he rebounded in KC and Philly. He got that last laugh on Chip Kelly and Jeff Fisher. They had to watch the guy they gave up on too quick be a Super Bowl hero and nearly do it again.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Foles was blamed by Jeff Fisher and ran out of town within a season..
    I like how the coach with the most losses in the NFL blames Foles. LOL!

I think the Nick Foles storyline is going to be a giant what if that we look back on decades from now, like what if Brees had stayed in San Diego, what if the 49ers had picked Aaron Rodgers, what if Bill Belichick stays with the Jets, what if Bo Jackson focused on football, what if Bledsoe never got hurt?

Philly had him and he was decent, but was sacrificed so Chip Kelly could form the team in his image. They rode with Sanchez, Thad Lewis and Sam Bradford for a year which failed, but not bad enough to yield a crazy high pick, so they have to do a blockbuster trade to get the #2 overall pick to get their quarterback. Foles ends up back on the team and steps up when Wentz goes down to win the Super Bowl. I'm just trying to think of what Philly looks like if they just go with Foles from the start. I can see a 30 for 30 in about 20 years on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by DungeonmasterJim View Post
    I like how the coach with the most losses in the NFL blames Foles. LOL!
    And if the Rams hadn't gotten smart and canned Fisher, he would've ruined Jared Goff and probably run him out of town too.

NFL News

- The Falcons placed the franchise tag on Grady Jarrett (DT).

- The Seahawks placed the franchise tag on Frank Clark (DE)

- The Texans placed the franchise tag on Jadevon Clowney (DE).

- The NY Giants have declined placing the franchise tag on Landon Collins (safety) and will let him go into free agency.

- The Cowboys have franchised tagged DeMarcus Lawrence (DE) . According to a source Lawrence isn't even close to a deal as its claimed they sent an offer to his agent during the Combine and they didn't consider it a serious offer.

- The Bears released Sam Acho (LB) after 4 seasons with the team after only appearing in 4 games last season due to injury.

- The Chiefs franchise tagged Dee Ford (OLB) and its claimed will listen to offers for the pass rusher. The Chiefs have said it will take a big offer to get Ford. Unless they get it they plan to use Ford as the hybrid pass rusher DE/OLB in the new 4-3 system.

Man, Russell Wilson's next deal is going to set the sky on fire.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Man, Russell Wilson's next deal is going to set the sky on fire.
    He might have the best deep ball in the league as far as accuracy goes but his tendencies and choices in the pocket lead to a lot of sacks.

He's one leg injury away from becoming a backup.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

More on the Dee Ford situation.

The Chiefs have questions about paying Ford long term to a big deal for a couple reasons. The biggest is was last seasons 13 sacks a one year wonder situation ? Because he'd never had that production before and they are wondering on signing him to a long term deal for the future. Its why they tagged him as they want to decide what to do. Also the Chiefs are going to a 4-3 system and they don't believe Ford and Houston fit that system . Houston is likely gone due to his high cap number , age and health issues.

The Chiefs are looking at if a team will offer the 2 , 1st round draft picks. But as one report claims a 2nd and more could pry Ford away.

In NFL News a big warning sign has emerged.

- As the Cardinals have looked at Pat Mahomes and what they want out of a young QB and system ; the belief is its what is pushing them to draft Kyler Murray. Its said that Arizona has informed some GM's they intend to trade Rosen. But a big warning sign has emerged. Charley Casserly detailed what he has heard from Indy and issues Murray has.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...osen-available

"Well, he better hope Kingsbury takes him No. 1 because this was not good," Casserly said. "This was the worst comments I ever got on a high-rated quarterback, and I've been doing this a long time. I've probably been doing it longer than you're alive.

"Anyway, leadership -- not good. Study habits -- not good. The board work -- below not good. Not good at all in any of those areas and raising major concerns about what this guy is going to do. Now, people say, we're going to compare him to [Patrick] Mahomes, we're going to run an offense like Mahomes, we're going to run an offense like Baker Mayfield. Well, you can't. ... Those guys are much different. Those guys, you never question about their ability on the board, you never question about their leadership ability, their work habits, they were outstanding in those areas. This guy is not outstanding in those areas. It showed up in the interview."

The Cardinals are still claiming they really can go in a lot of directions in that 1st overall pick. But now the warning signs of Murray has came out.

Sounds like Murray would make a great baseball player.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

"Well, he better hope Kingsbury takes him No. 1 because this was not good," Casserly said. "This was the worst comments I ever got on a high-rated quarterback, and I've been doing this a long time. I've probably been doing it longer than you're alive.

"Anyway, leadership -- not good. Study habits -- not good. The board work -- below not good. Not good at all in any of those areas and raising major concerns about what this guy is going to do. Now, people say, we're going to compare him to [Patrick] Mahomes, we're going to run an offense like Mahomes, we're going to run an offense like Baker Mayfield. Well, you can't. ... Those guys are much different. Those guys, you never question about their ability on the board, you never question about their leadership ability, their work habits, they were outstanding in those areas. This guy is not outstanding in those areas. It showed up in the interview."
    In a word----OUCH! This is the hopeless cynic in me talking, but how long before someone in Murray's camp plays the race card, whining that Casserly wouldn't have said what he did if the kid were white? But then, it's been said most of those negatives had been levied at Michael Vick, and he still had a fairly outstanding career, though it could've been a whole lot better if he had only applied himself more in the early going.