Page 29 of 80 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    You could be right. Other than Gronk and Brady, I can't think of anyone else either, be it on offense or defense. The Pats have been perhaps the ultimate example of the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts, that and the fact Darth Hoodie ships players out prior to their shelf life expiring, or before they hit free agency and demand fat contracts.
    I would offer that there are two issues working towards why Patriots players are not serious Hall of Fame candidates. On offense the ball gets spread around a lot. We see the stat every game: Brady has thrown to nine different receivers. So it can be hard to get big numbers unless the player really clicks a la Gronk.

I would say the second reason is not just Belichick getting rid of players but how many players get signed away from the Patriots. At this point, how many really good players are left on the Patriots that are free agents? Flowers may have been the best left and he got signed away. But how many teams are clamoring for Hogan? Solder got a huge contract from the Giants so the Patriots had to rely on Trent Brown and he was pretty serviceable. Patriots win Super Bowl and Brown becomes the highest paid left tackle in football. Second year in a row Pats have to find a left tackle. And often times, Patriots free agents sign big contracts but don't put up huge numbers justifying those contract pay outs so the easy labels is those players were just a part in the Patriots system. Well, maybe in the first place the Patriots paid those players their true worth and did't get suckered into paying a good player superstar money.

So that's my theory on the subject.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Eh, watch as the Patriots turn around and win Super Bowl LV. I have heard people talking about how this is the beginning of the end, but come on; how many times have we predicted that, only for those people to get burned?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Eh, watch as the Patriots turn around and win Super Bowl LV. I have heard people talking about how this is the beginning of the end, but come on; how many times have we predicted that, only for those people to get burned?
    As long as Darth Hoodie and Tom Terrific stick around, the Pats will ALWAYS be a serious contender. It's just that simple.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Hightower and Gilmore are trending towards shots at the Hall.

But NE does tend to "rent" future HoFers.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Hightower and Gilmore are trending towards shots at the Hall.

But NE does tend to "rent" future HoFers.
    Wait, that was a joke about Hightower and Gilmore right? They will never have a shot at the Hall of Fame. Get real
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 03-25-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Oddly enough the Pats will never have glut of players going into the HOF. Outside of Gronk I can't think another, outside of Tommy Lady that is. He's got to be one of best skill players N.E. has ever had.
    Ty Law just got in.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    Wait, that was a joke about Hightower and Gilmore right?
    League leaders in their positions. Not a joke. Shot does not equal lock. And if I had to pick one getting a shot, it would be Hightower.

I was merely backing up the point that NE doesn't often have HoFer candidates on their team for any length of time and they usually "rent" them for a couple seasons at most.

Wilfork will be their last developed HoFer (Ty Law finally got it but Wilfork is a lock) not named Brady or Gronk. Hightower being the only other home-grown one that stands a shot if he can continue to play like he did pre-injury. Gilmore is like Revis and several other CB/FS/SS NE has had over the years ... a rental at best.

Not a hard concept to follow.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

You could say Welker came close to it had he stayed at a cheaper deal and stuck around catching 100+ passes a season for 2-3 more seasons from Tom Brady. I mean his numbers before he left had him on the verge of the 1,000 reception , 10,000+ yard mark. In fact he had 768 career receptions after the 2012 season. Had he stayed around he clearly within 2-3 seasons passes 1,000+ career receptions.

Welker career wise would finish with 903 receptions for 9,924 yards and 50 TD's. But yeah he was the closest I think that would have went offensively in with Brady and Gronk. (and yes Gronk will go in. I again know he's a solid great player...just not the end all as I debated)

Now about Aaron Hernandez ...guy was a smaller TE and more in a WR body. He would have taken some of the receptions for sure. But he was smaller and really at 6'1 I kinda wonder how long his career would have lasted in the NFL in that type of sometimes physical position at TE. Beyond the sad fact it was learned he was a psychopath .
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Gronk being done makes sense why NE is looking at the other Bennett again. Kinda surprised they let Allen go. I haven't even looked at the TE class this year because the best one was listed as outside the 3rd round.

Gronk being done makes sense why NE is looking at the other Bennett again. Kinda surprised they let Allen go. I haven't even looked at the TE class this year because the best one was listed as outside the 3rd round.
    Whoever they get at WR and TE....Brady will do what he usually does. He could have a junior varsity team and have them produce for him.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

26 years ago Free Agency rocked the NFL for the 1st time and it changed the course of the NFL for good...

Now in the video its not mentioned but Joe Montana essentially did free agency in a way. Montana was traded but the 49ers and Ed DeBartlo Jr (owner) allowed Montana to visit teams and told Carmen Policy to trade Montana to the team he wanted to go to. In fact the 49ers got a better offer from the Phoenix Cardinals for Montana then. But they went with who Joe wanted to go to and it was Kansas City.

In all I have a nice magazine detailing free agency from 1993 and moves from there. Its hard to believe its now 26 years old. I'll have to dig it out somewhere.

New England plays will get that "halo effect" when it comes to the Hall of Fame. A lot of the ones who have been there a while (short list, I know) have won multiple Super Bowls. This is why I think Edelman will go into the HoF. Its not just numbers, its how you perform in the playoffs and Super Bowl. He is second place behind Rice in playoff receptions. Second place tied with Irvin for playoff games with 100+yards. Super Bowl MVP. Obviously it will depend on the voters ultimately, but a pretty strong case is there for him.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

League leaders in their positions. Not a joke. Shot does not equal lock. And if I had to pick one getting a shot, it would be Hightower.

I was merely backing up the point that NE doesn't often have HoFer candidates on their team for any length of time and they usually "rent" them for a couple seasons at most.

Wilfork will be their last developed HoFer (Ty Law finally got it but Wilfork is a lock) not named Brady or Gronk. Hightower being the only other home-grown one that stands a shot if he can continue to play like he did pre-injury. Gilmore is like Revis and several other CB/FS/SS NE has had over the years ... a rental at best.

Not a hard concept to follow.
    League leaders in terms of what? Hightower has never been the best linebacker in the NFL or even close to it. His only accolade is a Pro Bowl. He's never getting in.

Gilmore waa considered a disappointment until he went to New England, where he finally looked good this past year. And comparing Gilmore to Revis?

There really is no indication that either player has a shot at the HOF.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 03-25-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    New England plays will get that "halo effect" when it comes to the Hall of Fame. A lot of the ones who have been there a while (short list, I know) have won multiple Super Bowls. This is why I think Edelman will go into the HoF. Its not just numbers, its how you perform in the playoffs and Super Bowl. He is second place behind Rice in playoff receptions. Second place tied with Irvin for playoff games with 100+yards. Super Bowl MVP. Obviously it will depend on the voters ultimately, but a pretty strong case is there for him.
    Edelman is not going to the HOF. He doesn't have a "case". Zero chance. Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    Edelman is not going to the HOF. He doesn't have a "case". Zero chance. Zero.
    I think his chances are pretty slim, but he does have a case. The same one Lynn Swann had - shining brightest when on the biggest stage. I doubt it will be enough when he finally becomes eligible, especially when you think of who else is going to be eligible at the same time, but a slim case isn't exactly the same as none at all.
    Dark does not mean deep.