Page 30 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    Edelman is not going to the HOF. He doesn't have a "case". Zero chance. Zero.
    His chance is basically will he win 2 more Super Bowl MVP’s.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    His chance is basically will he win 2 more Super Bowl MVP’s.
    Even then, there really isn't anyone that has gotten into the HOF based on just playoff performance, and being an afterthought in the regular season. Edelman just doesn't stack up against his peers as a receiver. Zero All Pros. Never led the league in any major statistical category for his position, and never was a nightmare for defenses. Edelman is essentially another cog for the assembly line of Patriots players that have benefited by playing with Brady, and under Belichick. On another team Edelman would not shine at all. He shouldn't be mentioned with the likes of Carter, Owens, Irvin, Rice, Moss, and other mega stars simply because he was lucky to play with the Patriots which is a ticket to the playoffs every year where statistics can be accumulated.

Willie Mcginest as a linebacker has a better case, and he isn't getting in.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 03-25-2019 at 08:24 PM.

BANNED

Even then, there really isn't anyone that has gotten into the HOF based on just playoff performance, and being an afterthought in the regular season. Edelman just doesn't stack up against his peers as a receiver. Zero All Pros. Never led the league in any major statistical category for his position, and never was a nightmare for defenses. Edelman is essentially another cog for the assembly line of Patriots players that have benefited by playing with Brady, and under Belichick. On another team Edelman would not shine at all. He shouldn't be mentioned with the likes of Carter, Owens, Irvin, Rice, Moss, and other mega stars simply because he was lucky to play with the Patriots which is a ticket to the playoffs every year where statistics can be accumulated.

Willie Mcginest as a linebacker has a better case, and he isn't getting in.
    If nothing else, Edelman is symbolic of the Patriots' philosophy that you don't need to invest gobs of money in wide receivers, and that in the right system you can plug in just about anyone and get good production. You have to give him credit for making the most of his opportunity, but you also have to recognize that lots of other guys could have done the same if put in the same position. The Swann analogy isn't really apt either, you can hardly compare the consistency of Brady to the erratic play of Bradshaw, if anything Swann and Stallworth were responsible for turning Bradshaw's career around from the train wreck it had been up to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think his chances are pretty slim, but he does have a case. The same one Lynn Swann had - shining brightest when on the biggest stage. I doubt it will be enough when he finally becomes eligible, especially when you think of who else is going to be eligible at the same time, but a slim case isn't exactly the same as none at all.
    Lynn Swann was a 1st Team All Pro, and three time Pro Bowl selection. He led the league in touchdowns once. He actually stacked up against his peers, and has some personal accomplishments when others had a bite at the same apple. Edelman has none of those things. It's really not a good comparison. Willie Mcginest would be though.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Lynn Swann was a 1st Team All Pro, and three time Pro Bowl selection. He led the league in touchdowns once. He actually stacked up against his peers, and has some personal accomplishments when others had a bite at the same apple. Edelman has none of those things. It's really not a good comparison. Willie Mcginest would be though.

You can see McGinest going in eventually. He was a 3 time Pro Bowl star. All Patriots 1990's and 2000's. Has the most career post season sacks (16) and more. Plus is a 3 time Super Bowl champion. So you could see him going in. I do remember that in a special one of the draft picks Parcells claims turned the Patriots around was Willie McGinest. That there was questions about McGinest and he only had 1 meeting with him. (a fact McGinest told he never expected the Patriots to select him...he thought he was going to Dallas ...a fact there was Dallas representatives watching with him).
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    You can see McGinest going in eventually. He was a 3 time Pro Bowl star. All Patriots 1990's and 2000's. Has the most career post season sacks (16) and more. Plus is a 3 time Super Bowl champion. So you could see him going in. I do remember that in a special one of the draft picks Parcells claims turned the Patriots around was Willie McGinest. That there was questions about McGinest and he only had 1 meeting with him. (a fact McGinest told he never expected the Patriots to select him...he thought he was going to Dallas ...a fact there was Dallas representatives watching with him).
    Even as a senior candidate it's difficult to see it. He missed a lot of time with injuries, and was never once an All Pro. And he only made 2 Pro Bowls in a 15 year career. Never in the conversation for best at his position. The only thing people remember regarding Willie, is the all time post season sack record, which like Edelman's catches is extremely circumstantial on team success.

Good player, great leader, but not a guy that stacks up to guys like Taylor, Jackson, Brooks, Tippett, or Ham. We will see though.

Fantastic Member

Even as a senior candidate it's difficult to see it. He missed a lot of time with injuries, and was never once an All Pro. And he only made 2 Pro Bowls in a 15 year career. Never in the conversation for best at his position. The only thing people remember regarding Willie, is the all time post season sack record, which like Edelman's catches is extremely circumstantial on team success.

Good player, great leader, but not a guy that stacks up to guys like Taylor, Jackson, Brooks, Tippett, or Ham. We will see though.
    To me, McGinest was a good player but not great. I use to get mad that he didn't have more sacks in the play-off's because he was always talked up so much. I agree that his 16 play-off sacks seemed more from the fact that the Patriots made the play-offs so many times. It seemed Bruschi had more important turnovers and big plays than McGinest during the play-offs. Richard Seymor on the hand was BEAST in his first few years for New England. He made offensives change the way they played. He would even join the offense as a blocker for the running back on occasion. Seymour looked like a Hall of Fame lock until his first injury and then more mounted up. I'm not sure he'll ever get in but I think he was more dominant at his position than McGinest.

Edelman is not going to the HOF. He doesn't have a "case". Zero chance. Zero.
    You probably are right, on the basis that every WR in the hall has multiple Pro Bowls to their names. He still has time to get that and another Super Bowl MVP maybe, but the window is closing.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Well looks like pass interference calls (or lack thereof) can be challenged for replay review now, at least for next season. IT applies to both offensive and defensive PI calls.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by DungeonmasterJim View Post
    To me, McGinest was a good player but not great. I use to get mad that he didn't have more sacks in the play-off's because he was always talked up so much. I agree that his 16 play-off sacks seemed more from the fact that the Patriots made the play-offs so many times. It seemed Bruschi had more important turnovers and big plays than McGinest during the play-offs. Richard Seymor on the hand was BEAST in his first few years for New England. He made offensives change the way they played. He would even join the offense as a blocker for the running back on occasion. Seymour looked like a Hall of Fame lock until his first injury and then more mounted up. I'm not sure he'll ever get in but I think he was more dominant at his position than McGinest.
    Richard Seymour has a chance to make it for sure.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Owners make pass interference, non-calls reviewable

I suspect that debacle in New Orleans during the playoffs spurred this decision.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Owners make pass interference, non-calls reviewable

I suspect that debacle in New Orleans during the playoffs spurred this decision.
    Actually it was the non-call on Cooks in the SB the play before the INT.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Well looks like pass interference calls (or lack thereof) can be challenged for replay review now, at least for next season. IT applies to both offensive and defensive PI calls.

-M
    Wow, NFL, great job luring new people into the game. Even more delays over minutiae. I swear this whole replay thing is getting dumb, it would be better just to force every player and coach to sign a waiver that they can't whine or sue over calls and non-calls.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

In NFL News...

- The Dallas Cowboys completed a trade with the Miami Dolphins to acquire Robert Quinn (DE) for a 2020 6th rd pick. Quinn is needed due to suspensions for the other 2 DE's on the roster. Quinn signed a 1 year deal worth $7.5 million but can be worth as much as $10 million with incentives if he hits 10+ sacks in a season.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Per sources, it looks like Jordan Howard was traded to the Eagles for a conditional 2020 6th Round pick.

Don't get this one at all. Despite Tarik Cohen looking great in highlights, Howard was more of an every down back and I'd argue is pretty good overall. I'm sure they want to recoup some picks from the Mack trade, but I can't imagine they find a player as good as Howard with this pick.