Page 35 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Its being reported that the Oakland Raiders sent home all their scouts to keep the NFL Draft a secret from even them. This move isn't shocking or silly given that teams normally do send a lot of the scouts they don't trust home so they can't leak out who the team will draft. In fact Gil Brandt (former Dallas GM) detailed that back in the 1980's he comically showed a scout he didn't trust the draft board with a player they had no intention of drafting.

This scout went and told a Dallas reporter who the Cowboys were drafting and they knew it was him.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

This video illustrated how selfless a coach was. It actually reminded me of Herm Edwards and the root he took KC down in mid 2000's. Anyhow Kay Stephenson much to hurting his own career told Polion to use the draft picks . Because even if they weren't there the team needed to rebuild and set the team up for the future.

The Bills would bring in Marv Levy and Jim Kelly would return. But damn adding 2 Hall of Fame players in the 1st and 5th rds is just legendary.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

So while I won't link yet another video ; creator Urinating Tree brought up that the AAF's problems began right at launch. Reggie Fowler fucked the league to start claiming he would invest $170+ million to get the league through the 1st season. As this points out.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/4/3/18...ol-bill-polian

Here are some things that came from this.

- The AAF knew they were gonna go into the "red" this season and lose money. The TV deals were to make no money the 1st year and provide TV basically. With them showing that the TV was viable and getting a new deal in year #2.

- Fowler promised $170 Million , then right before opening week dropped his investment to $28 million !

- This forced the league into going to new CEO Tom Dundon who promised $170 million.

- Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian wanted to build the league and by year #3 approach the NFL about sending young players there to develop. Tom Dundon said **** that and demanded RIGHT NOW they get those players. With his stupid ill fold the league if I don't get them. lol

To add .... before folks scoff at the whole not getting paid to supply TV with the hopes that networks will see the TV as viable product...well this approach happened before. It was back in 2004 when TNA led by Dixie Carter came up with a wild idea to leave the weekly PPV that had launched them. Where as they were getting 7,000-10,000 buys a month ...TNA realized they needed a long term cable deal to help them .

So Dixie and her parents gambled on taking it to Fox Sports who would air the shows for a year at TNA's cost. Basically what the AAF would do here. Pay all costs and supply the TV. TNA within a year built a nice little spot which had Spike sign them then. So the AAF idea wasn't insane as it sounds and the idea was to get a TV deal long term after the 1st year to show how good it would work.
    Last edited by SUPERECWFAN1; 04-20-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    This video illustrated how selfless a coach was. It actually reminded me of Herm Edwards and the root he took KC down in mid 2000's. Anyhow Kay Stephenson much to hurting his own career told Polion to use the draft picks . Because even if they weren't there the team needed to rebuild and set the team up for the future.

The Bills would bring in Marv Levy and Jim Kelly would return. But damn adding 2 Hall of Fame players in the 1st and 5th rds is just legendary.
    The funny thing is that Ray Childress actually had a pretty good career. He wasn't the player that Bruce Smith was, but he was a Pro Bowl type player that even had a couple of All Pro nods.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    The funny thing is that Ray Childress actually had a pretty good career. He wasn't the player that Bruce Smith was, but he was a Pro Bowl type player that even had a couple of All Pro nods.

I remember reading that one current GM (maybe the Giants GM) who said if your picking so early in the NFL Draft you have to view it as "do you see this guy wearing a gold jacket ?" . That those picks have to have Hall of Fame careers essentially when you select them to get that big impactful player. The Bills then saw more from Bruce Smith. Even with the risk as we saw as some believed he was "too fat" and that he'd not be in good condition.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

With the Draft coming up on Thursday, let's discuss the needs that the teams we root for have and could (but not necessarily will be filled, "best available player", yo) this coming weekend. For my Eagles, it's offensive line that's in need most of fortification. Perennial Pro Bowler and probable Hall of Famer Jason Peters is 37 is pretty much at the end of his career; C Jason Kelce (31) played through a litany of injuries last season; RT Lane Johnson, having already been suspended for a failed drug test is one more away from a two year ban; RG Brandon Brooks suffered an achilles injury last year and might not be ready for the new season; youngsters LG Isaac Seulamo and RT Halapoulivaati Vaitai have been inconsistent, and LT Jordan Mailata, a former rugby player, basically redshirted last year, more than likely won't be ready for action this year. Given all that, it would be prudent for the Birds to invest a couple of picks (including their first rounder at #25) on the O-line. If QB Carson Wentz doesn't have protection, he won't be able to do anything.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

My Dolphins. A QB, and everything else.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

It would be a surprise if the 49ers didn't take Bosa or Williams, whichever one is available when the select at number 2 overall. Unless they get a ridiculous over to trade down, it would be nutty to pass on either one of those players. Personally, I've wanted Bosa for a while. I think he would the type of player Justin Smith was when he was on the 49ers, who in my opinion was the most important piece we had. Quinnen Williams is getting comparisons to Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh. That's great, and if he is either you have to snatch him too. Still, we need someone that can generate pressure off the edge. The 49ers got Dee Ford, but that really isn't enough. Also, Soloman Thomas is still around, and it would be nice to see him finally get more snaps on the inside. Williams along with Buckner would essentially prevent that from happening, which would be sad for the former 3rd overall pick who is still just 24 years old. He could be traded, but I still think he could be an impact player in the NFL. Williams would also be yet another interior defensive lineman that the team would have drafted in the last few years with a high first round pick. Sadly, I'm guessing the Cardinals take Bosa, and the 49ers will be stuck with Wiliams or a trade down. Maybe they take Josh Allen instead, which I don't think would be bad.

Fans are also thinking Shanahan and Lynch want a receiver in the second round. I'm hoping the 49ers get a crack at AJ Brown, but I'd be surprised if he's still there with their second pick. Jimmy G needs help though.

Report: Peyton Manning passes on ESPN's 'Monday Night Football'

Thank god. MNF is barely watchable as it is because of the clowns in the booth, adding Manning's southern yokel drawl would make games nightmarish to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Report: Peyton Manning passes on ESPN's 'Monday Night Football'

Thank god. MNF is barely watchable as it is because of the clowns in the booth, adding Manning's southern yokel drawl would make games nightmarish to listen to.
    I'm not so sure. I may have spent a decade and a half rooting against him, but I must admit the man has a pile of football knowledge and a very good sense of comedic timing.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm not so sure. I may have spent a decade and a half rooting against him, but I must admit the man has a pile of football knowledge and a very good sense of comedic timing.
    Oh, sure, I don't deny Peyton has a wealth of football knowledge that would put a quarter of the head coaches in the NFL to shame, but after all those years of being a goofy pitchman (recently those Nationwide spots with Brad Paisley), I just don't know if he'd be taken seriously as an analyst, despite his pedigree. For whatever it's worth, I've envisioned Manning as more of a studio regular instead of a color commentator, but that's just my opinion. The fact he hasn't gone the studio route tells me Peyton just isn't interested in being on TV, save for commercials.

Rams are a bit hampered as far as draft, being number 31 and not having a second round pick at all ... but I think they go for defense primarily. LB Jeffrey Simmons has been on people's lists as a potential pick, and I could see that or perhaps them going for a safety or other LB who is still around. Man I'd love for them to be able to pick up Darrel Williams by some miraculous trade up.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Hopefully Gruden will fail and return to the booth in 2-3 more seasons. lol. I miss his calling plays out , "That is a Triple Z , slash formation ...running back goes in motion..."

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    It would be a surprise if the 49ers didn't take Bosa or Williams, whichever one is available when the select at number 2 overall. Unless they get a ridiculous over to trade down, it would be nutty to pass on either one of those players. Personally, I've wanted Bosa for a while. I think he would the type of player Justin Smith was when he was on the 49ers, who in my opinion was the most important piece we had. Quinnen Williams is getting comparisons to Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh. That's great, and if he is either you have to snatch him too. Still, we need someone that can generate pressure off the edge. The 49ers got Dee Ford, but that really isn't enough. Also, Soloman Thomas is still around, and it would be nice to see him finally get more snaps on the inside. Williams along with Buckner would essentially prevent that from happening, which would be sad for the former 3rd overall pick who is still just 24 years old. He could be traded, but I still think he could be an impact player in the NFL. Williams would also be yet another interior defensive lineman that the team would have drafted in the last few years with a high first round pick. Sadly, I'm guessing the Cardinals take Bosa, and the 49ers will be stuck with Wiliams or a trade down. Maybe they take Josh Allen instead, which I don't think would be bad.

Fans are also thinking Shanahan and Lynch want a receiver in the second round. I'm hoping the 49ers get a crack at AJ Brown, but I'd be surprised if he's still there with their second pick. Jimmy G needs help though.
    Living in central Ohio and having seen Bosa and the nature of his injuries, I suspect he is one play away from having his career over before his rookie contract is expired. I doubt he has the longevity to become a generational player, and whomever drafts him will be looking for his replacement in at most 3-4 seasons as he will be done because of a career ending injury. He is fragile goods already damaged.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

As for teams and needs, I've been a Cowboys fan since about '73 and my dad was stationed in Texas when the team started and had followed them since their inception until he passed, bringing me up a Cowboys fan. We have no first round pick as we dealt it to Gruden in the Cooper deal, but they need to find safety help, a TE of the future, and solid back up for Zeke and some offensive line depth if they can. Most of that can be done in the 2nd and later rounds. so I am hoping Will McClay keeps up his solid track record of finding contributors in later rounds. They also need a WR to play opposite Cooper down the road (they have stop gaps for this year that may or may not work with Cobb and others) or to be #1 if they can't extend Cooper and lose him to free agency, but I don't see that happening this draft with the picks they have and the other depth needs they have for the coming season, so I expect them to simply go best available with most picks since they don't have am immediate glaring need (though could certainly use some upgrades in places).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato