Page 52 of 80 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    There are guys who each year should be in the Hall of Fame yet constantly get passed over due to others always being ahead of them. Don Coryell should be in that Hall. He literally revolutionized the passing offenses of the NFL to what were seeing Kansas City , Rams and more do now. Its a damn crime that guy can't get inducted and he's not the only one. Every year there are guys who constantly are pushed to a point their senior voted in.

Madden at Coryell's funeral gave a nice emotional opening. "There is Dan Fouts , Joe Gibbs and myself...and were in the Hall of Fame. Someone is missing.."

No Super Bowl appearances and not all that good of a record. The fact that Madden, Fouts, and Gibbs are in the HoF (they got there once they left the Coryell system) could be an argument against Coryell, too. I don't feel that he's the only innovator to not be in the Hall.

All that said, he has become a big legend. He probably fits the fame part of the induction, whether he deserves it for the other reasons like stats and performance, that is the big question.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    No Super Bowl appearances and not all that good of a record. The fact that Madden, Fouts, and Gibbs are in the HoF (they got there once they left the Coryell system) could be an argument against Coryell, too. I don't feel that he's the only innovator to not be in the Hall.
    Coryell's overall record is 114-89-1 and college record is 127-24-3 . He is credited as one of the pioneers of the I-Formation. John Madden learned at the foot steps of Don Coryell and got his 1st coaching job from him.

The St. Louis Cardinals hadn't made the playoffs in 28 years before Coryell arrived. He quickly developed Hart and others into decent QB to lead that offense. After leaving he went to Chargers where they hadn't been to playoffs since 1965. He would lead them there and developed Dan Fouts into a Hall of Fame QB. Its clear that having Coryell helped Fouts big time here.

Coryell's coaching tree includes - Joe Gibbs , Ernie Zampese , Jim Hanifan and Rod Dowhower. As Fouts claims he inspired more defensive coaches as well to stop these 3-4 WR sets. But his effect today is seen as Mike Martz and more learned under those guys who took concepts from Coryell.

Its true he never won a Super Bowl , sure. His overall influence and more though makes it clear he should be there and players/coaches he put in Hall of Fame.

All that said, he has become a big legend. He probably fits the fame part of the induction, whether he deserves it for the other reasons like stats and performance, that is the big question.
    His teams led the NFL in total offense a number of years as a stat. He won a few division titles and was 3-6 in playoffs. His teams main failure to get further in playoffs was defense. Which he let the defensive coach run.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Frank Gore is playing in his 15th NFL Season and claims he's not thought about retirement. That he'll retire once he can't do the job anymore. Gore is coming off his best average yard per carry season since 2012 where he gained 4.6 yards on the ground. What is amazing is he's 36 years old and continues to do well.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

I doubt he will pass Emit Smith at the #1 spot, but he should get to #3 next season ahead of Barry Sanders.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I doubt he will pass Emit Smith at the #1 spot, but he should get to #3 next season ahead of Barry Sanders.
    Maybe it's just me, but that seems well, wrong. I know Sanders retired early because he got tired of busting his ass on perpetually bad Lions teams, but to be passed by Gore doesn't sit well with me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I want to see Gore pass Payton but I don't think he'll go much passed this season.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but that seems well, wrong. I know Sanders retired early because he got tired of busting his ass on perpetually bad Lions teams, but to be passed by Gore doesn't sit well with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I want to see Gore pass Payton but I don't think he'll go much passed this season.
    Gore is nearing the end and will be splitting carries. He has Heldon , a rookie in Montgomery and McCoy (which people are thinking the Bills will trade him off as season starts). I can see him notching 15,000+ career rushing yards this season passing that.

I can respect Frank Gore if he passes Barry Sanders. He has played hard for years and at 36 is still going. The guy has over 18,000+ yards on his body (rushing/receiving) so that is some major props folks for him to do that.

Can't wait to see what kind of year he has with the Bills.

So I was just comparing Frank Gore to AP. Frank has been in the league for two more years, so there isn't a direct comparison quite yet and we don't know if AP will even be around still in 2020. So if you look at Frank's past year he is at 156 carries for 722 yards and 4.6 average.

In 2016, year 13 for Gore, he was at 263 carries for 1,025 yards and 3.9 yards per carry. Year 13 AP had 251 carries for 1,042 yards at a 4.2 average carry. AP also had over 13,318 this past year. Gore had 13,065 at the same point in his career.

Where they really are different is in TDs, though. AP has 106, Gore has 77 (regular season only for all of these stats)
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Can't wait to see what kind of year he has with the Bills.

So I was just comparing Frank Gore to AP. Frank has been in the league for two more years, so there isn't a direct comparison quite yet and we don't know if AP will even be around still in 2020. So if you look at Frank's past year he is at 156 carries for 722 yards and 4.6 average.

In 2016, year 13 for Gore, he was at 263 carries for 1,025 yards and 3.9 yards per carry. Year 13 AP had 251 carries for 1,042 yards at a 4.2 average carry. AP also had over 13,318 this past year. Gore had 13,065 at the same point in his career.

Where they really are different is in TDs, though. AP has 106, Gore has 77 (regular season only for all of these stats)

A big factor that really shows how steady Gore is his carries and being for years the 49ers sole weapon . He had in 13 seasons 3,200+ carries. He also caught 443 receptions. So he touched the ball an astounding 3600+ times in 13 seasons. (another season of work has pushed that number near 3,800 now)

Peterson was lucky that he really didn't get the amount of carries or touch the ball as much. In fact Peterson has only touched the ball 3,000+ times in 13 seasons rushing and receiving.

AP was the flashy RB, Gore was the workhorse.

AP is a bit overrated and Gore a bit under, IMHO.

But I enjoy watching them both.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Foles is the Jaguars best QB since David Garrad.
    The Jaguars won't be having to mostly relying on their defense or Fornette to win games.

NFL owners, obsessed with their greed dream of an 18 game season make their most ridiculous proposal yet:

Report: Owners have proposed 18 games, with a 16-game limit for each player

Imagine you’re a Patriots fan and you go to Gillette Stadium late in the season, eager to watch Tom Brady work his magic, only to discover he’s been benched, not due to injury, but because he reached his 16 game limit. Now multiply that by 32 teams and you’ll have chaos and outrage.

NFL owners, obsessed with their greed dream of an 18 game season make their most ridiculous proposal yet:

Imagine you’re a Patriots fan and you go to Gillette Stadium late in the season, eager to watch Tom Brady work his magic, only to discover he’s been benched, not due to injury, but because he reached his 16 game limit. Now multiply that by 32 teams and you’ll have chaos and outrage.
    Actually, to put in for your Pats example, this is a move that rewards teams that build a strong middle roster and punishes those that overpay for a few stars. In other words, a league that is worrying about the dominance one team has been displaying for too long of a time is considering a change that looks custom designed to benefit that one team.
    Dark does not mean deep.

The NFL’s bid to expand regular season a reckless pursuit of revenue

There are brilliant ideas, so-so ideas, bad ideas, and then there is the NFL’s latest plan to introduce and accommodate an 18-game regular season by limiting player participation to 16 games apiece, which is a first-ballot Hall of Fame horrendous idea.

First detailed by the Wall Street Journal last Thursday, the 16-game player/18-game team season plan is among a few ideas for how to get the NFL to its scheduling Holy Grail, but it’s by far the most jarring and lacking in logic. The NFL is the undisputed king of North American sports leagues. It reigns supreme with the revenue stream and endless interest to cement its rule. Everything the league touches turns to gold, but this proposal amounts to threatening, if not killing, the golden goose.

Mark Cuban was right when he said of the NFL, “Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.” This proposal to get to 18 games feels in Cuban’s words vein, “hoggy.” It’s avarice over competitive integrity.
    Two of the primary reasons the NFL is so popular and generates such devotion are competitive purity and scarcity. Every regular-season game feels like it must-watch to fans of a team because there are so few of them to enjoy — one per week, unless your team draws one of the dreaded Thursday night games. There’s no mid-June series against the Baltimore Orioles that beckons you to stream Netflix. With so few games in the regular season, nearly every game carries import for both teams. The NFL enjoys a greater level of regular-season urgency and competitive verve than any of its entertainment competitors among the so-called Big Four leagues. It’s the league’s not-so-secret weapon.

This ill-conceived proposal to get to 18 games would undermine all of that. Besides the feasibility of juggling which players are active for which games, another thankless task that would be foisted on coaches residing in a high-profile, pressure-cooker job, star players like Odell Beckham Jr. or Tom Brady sitting out a given game would telegraph to fans and television viewers that said game is less important and a lesser product. It would be the NFL equivalent of going to a bar where they water down the bottles of spirits in front of you to make them last longer.

The competitive sanctity of the NFL on a week-to-week basis is the backbone of its success. Weakening that in pursuit of getting overflowing coffers to overflow even faster seems foolhardy. The NFL could be the author of its own demise if it chases additional dollars with no sense.
    But an 18-game regular-season is a complete nonstarter with the NFL Players Association, which would rather have its members go back to playing in leather helmets than roll over for an 18-game season. The only way the NFLPA acquiesces is if the owners trade an expanded season for guaranteed contracts. That’s out of the question because the only thing the owners relish more than revenue is their control over the workforce.

Both NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith and union president Eric Winston dismissed this 18-game season idea in no uncertain terms. Smith told ESPN, “I don’t see an 18-game schedule — under any circumstance — being in the best interest of our players.”

The other issue for the NFL in pushing for an 18-game slate is that it makes the league look a bit hypocritical on player health and safety. In the league’s health and safety report, Goodell is quoted as saying, “Our effort to further the health and safety of our players remains our highest priority.”

The NFL has made tremendous strides in player well-being. However, playing more games is antithetical to the league’s player safety aims and completely contradictory to its crusade to cut down on injuries, particularly the rate of concussions.

It’s simple. More exposure equals more opportunities to get hurt.

I saw a prediction that it would be impossible to sell tickets to a bad team's home games, knowing that the trend would immediately become to bench the starters for games against the bottom feeders.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.