Page 56 of 80 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its such an idiotic move. The league decides to try and protect QBs and now they want to make sure defenders can get through the line to get to the QB.
    There’s a difference between not being reckless hitting QB’s and allowing teams to basically cheat to protect the QB and extend plays

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    There’s a difference between not being reckless hitting QB’s and allowing teams to basically cheat to protect the QB and extend plays
    You have a good point, sure. Once the defenders get through they will be subject to the new rules. I foresee lots of interesting defensive manuevres - defenders lightly sammiching QBs and gently lowering them to the turf, for instance, onto pillows that are carefully lain down in advance by a third defender. Lots of hugging and gentle lowering of QBs to the turf, with a complimentary "how did I do" survey given to them afterwards.

Meanwhile, holding calls on offensive linemen suck! These guys are unsung heroes who make a lifetime art of holding artfully. This move is going to make every game look like a Raiders game from the 1990-2000s era, and thats a very bad thing for the league.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    You have a good point, sure. Once the defenders get through they will be subject to the new rules. I foresee lots of interesting defensive manuevres - defenders lightly sammiching QBs and gently lowering them to the turf, for instance, onto pillows that are carefully lain down in advance by a third defender. Lots of hugging and gentle lowering of QBs to the turf, with a complimentary "how did I do" survey given to them afterwards.

Meanwhile, holding calls on offensive linemen suck! These guys are unsung heroes who make a lifetime art of holding artfully. This move is going to make every game look like a Raiders game from the 1990-2000s era, and thats a very bad thing for the league.
    Shoulder blocks and concussions are going to rise. Other injuries, too.

WTG NFL ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Expect some shots at Blake Bortles while he's on his way out the door... Why Your Team Sucks: The Jacksonville Jaguars

Jex: " 'Of course, the last time the Jaguars showed any semblance of hope, it was immediately crushed and torn away. That’s what really scares me about this team. Regression isn’t just a threat, its what I’m expecting. Another ten years of shithousery.'

Those words are direct quotes from my submission to WYTS last year. Guess f***ing what."
    Aaron: "The defense has maybe one year left before they have to start cutting guys for the cap.

Guess who the Jags’ week one opponent is? The Chiefs. That’ll end well!"
    Nate: "I won my fantasy football league last season with the second fewest cumulative points. I’ve wondered many times what kind of satanic deal I made to let that happen, and I finally decided that the price was having hope in the Jaguars. On some dark, stormy night I don’t remember, Doug Marrone, wreathed in flame and eyes glowing, looked at me and said 'A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy… And suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you’ll know the debt is paid.'"
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Expect some shots at Blake Bortles while he's on his way out the door... Why Your Team Sucks: The Jacksonville Jaguars

Its amazing how long the Jaguars have looked for a franchise QB since Mark Brunell was pushed out in 2000's after a solid run there. In fact here is their QB's since.

Bryon Leftwich (started 1 playoff game in his stint , but never could equal what Brunell did from 1995-2002)
    David Gerrard (Had 2 playoff games 1-1 in career , wheels fell off him 2 seasons later)
    Blaine Gabbert (BUST)
    Chad Henne (Career backup)
    Blake Bortles (BUST)

Things haven't went well since Brunell and now Nick Foles steps into this situation and it could end up worse.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Foles will probably pull something out of his ass against the Chiefs and/or the Saints, giving everyone hope, slide into the playoffs, pull out an upset and get destroyed the next game in New England.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Yes I do expect Foles and the Jaguars to do well. Fournette is also back, and that is an incredibly good thing for them if he is healthy.

I'm more curious how Philly is going to do with Foles gone as the backup for when Wentz inevitably goes down.

My prediction? J-ville ends up with a better record than Fly Eagles Fly
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 07-30-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Its amazing how long the Jaguars have looked for a franchise QB since Mark Brunell was pushed out in 2000's after a solid run there. In fact here is their QB's since.

Bryon Leftwich (started 1 playoff game in his stint , but never could equal what Brunell did from 1995-2002)
    David Gerrard (Had 2 playoff games 1-1 in career , wheels fell off him 2 seasons later)
    Blaine Gabbert (BUST)
    Chad Henne (Career backup)
    Blake Bortles (BUST)

Things haven't went well since Brunell and now Nick Foles steps into this situation and it could end up worse.
    Provided Baker Mayfield doesn't have a sophomore season like say... RGIII did... we finally may be able to stop joking about the "Browns starting QB jersey" meme. And the franchise with the longest record of bringing in bad QBs might go to the Jags.

Although, you could argue that the Bucs have also had a huge problem under center. Even when they were winning, they had Brad Johnson under center. Testeverde sucked for them until he went to the Jets. Jameis has been a disappointment thus far. Or say, the Dolphins' woes since Marino retired.

But yeah, Mark Brunell and Byron Leftwich are by far the best of that group, and they've been dismal going on 17 years now. I'll give Jacksonville credit, though... they give guys PLENTY of time to decide if they're a failure or not. Cleveland can pull the plug after a few seasons, but the Jags have picked guys who suck and give then 5 years to keep sucking before moving on.

Provided Baker Mayfield doesn't have a sophomore season like say... RGIII did... we finally may be able to stop joking about the "Browns starting QB jersey" meme. And the franchise with the longest record of bringing in bad QBs might go to the Jags.

Although, you could argue that the Bucs have also had a huge problem under center. Even when they were winning, they had Brad Johnson under center. Testeverde sucked for them until he went to the Jets. Jameis has been a disappointment thus far. Or say, the Dolphins' woes since Marino retired.

But yeah, Mark Brunell and Byron Leftwich are by far the best of that group, and they've been dismal going on 17 years now. I'll give Jacksonville credit, though... they give guys PLENTY of time to decide if they're a failure or not. Cleveland can pull the plug after a few seasons, but the Jags have picked guys who suck and give then 5 years to keep sucking before moving on.
    Whats amazing about Brunell was ...he wasn't expected to be amazing. He was a former 5th rd pick by Green Bay and the Jaguars drafted Rob Johnson in the 4th rd to be their QB of the future. With the 1st pick of the Expansion draft of 1995 they selected Steve Buerlin to be the starting QB. He was the 1st player chosen in that Expansion draft. They would later trade a 3rd and 5th to Green Bay for Brunell.

But the expectation was Mark Brunell would be a backup QB to Beuerlin . Til Rob Johnson was ready down the line. But some how Mark Brunell stunned the Jaguars and everyone by leading them so well.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

This details how badly Jerry Jones ran the organization after 1995 and how it led the team to shatter as a dynasty.

Couldn't get logged on yesterday to post it, but we had... Why Your Team Sucks: The Detroit Lions

From Lions' fans:

Jack: "Here is your yearly reminder that the Detroit Lions have literally never won the NFC North Division. Ever. Not one single time. And prior to it becoming the NFC North, the f***ing Tampa Bay Buccaneers won this division more recently than the Lions."
    Brandon: "The franchise QB is in his 11th season and has still not won a big game. Not one. His record against teams with a .500 or better record is still an astonishing 9-52, by my count.

The coach is a cartoon character. He’s like the rowdy buddy in a ski comedy, but with absolutely no charm."
    John: "You think the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. We Lions fans were born in it, molded by it. We didn’t see the light until we were already men; by then, it was blinding to us.

The shadows betray you, because they belong to us."
    Alex: "Detroit lucked into the two greatest position players of all time and squandered their talent so thoroughly that both left the team well shy of their career twilight. Then the local sports media has the gall to screech and rend their jowls about LOYALTY and HONOR and FAMILY like we’re in a fucking South Boston movie. The owner is a bloated s***pile who knowingly sold cars with f***ed-up transmissions. The roster is more dessicated and crumbling than Iggy Pop’s body. Just let Canada annex us"

Today's offering... Why Your Team Sucks: The Buffalo Bills

From Bills fans:
    Matt: "We’ve had more people fall from the top deck at the stadium than wins in the playoffs over the last 16 years."
    Ben: "I still don’t feel safe from Nathan Peterman."
    Rick: "Josh’s arm is slightly less accurate than a North Korean ballistic missile. He’ll be our poor man’s RGIII, always on the sideline in crutches or a walking boot, full of unfulfilled potential. It’s like the school valedictorian that gets paralyzed by a drunk driver the summer before starting medical school, except the Bills are the drunk driver."

Today's offering... Why Your Team Sucks: The Buffalo Bills

From Bills fans:
    "The Bills once being Super Bowl contenders is like the Republican Party once championing black civil rights: a historical fact that seems like a myth and also something that will never, ever happen again. "

Best one yet!

NFL News...

- All-Pro kicker Phil Dawson has retired after 21 seasons in the NFL. Dawson signed a deal to return to Cleveland where he played 14 seasons and was the only Browns kicker to ever go to a Pro Bowl to retire.

- Michael Thomas (WR) signed a 5 year $100 million extension with the New Orleans Saints this past week. Thomas was wanting a long term deal and signed it just as camp was happening.

- The NY Jets convinced Ryan Kalil (center) to come out of retirement to play 1 more season. The Jets had a need at center after losing out on Matt Paradis in free agency. Kalil seemed ready to retire after managing to start 16 games last year after 2 previous injury plagued seasons. He signed a 1 year deal worth $8.6 million.

- Speaking of RB holdouts that isn't Ezekiel Elliott ; the Chargers have their own hold out happening with Melvin Gordon. The young RB has told his agent he either wants traded or a new deal worth more than the $10 million a year the Chargers offer. The LA Chargers however have him under contract and the GM claims they will not give more than that or trade him.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Watching the Hall of Fame Game on NBC with Denver leading Atlanta 7-0 with five minutes left in the opening quarter.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!