Page 61 of 80 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I live a half hour from OSU and am inundated with Buckeye news whether I want to be or not. The knock on Bosa in the local press was always he missed as much time as he was available and he was never diligent in his work on rehabbing injuries so it would take him longer to come back than it should have, and he missed more time. The scuttlebutt was he didn't care about playing he was only waiting for his payday and he would milk injuries. Then he bailed on his teammates senior year because he was hurt and didn't want to risk his payday or draft position by coming back. Now he has hurt his ankle which was initially, a minor sprain, then has components of a high ankle sprain (Lisfranc) and he will miss the pre-season and could possibly be back by opening weekend but we don't want to put a timetable on it.

If his pattern holds true, he will milk this one, be back around week 3, get hurt again by week 6 possibly back by the end of the season, but will milk that too, and then maybe come back for 1 or 2 games, and then get hurt again in training camp so he can miss the pre-season again. He doesn't care about playing football, only about what football can bring him and he's never been in a hurry to get back on the field when he gets hurt.

-M
    Except now he's getting paid. If he wants his second contract to be as massive as it can be he won't dog it.

If he didn't care about football he would have held out of training camp.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 08-09-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    If only there were a former Pro Bowl QB well rested after a few years off, but still under 35... Hmm...
    Kaepernick went 1-11 his last year as a starter. He sucked. He only managed 5 total yards passing the last game before he was benched for good. But his completion percentage those who don't understand football will say: his completion % was high for the same reason Shaquille "Hack a Shaq" O'Neal has a higher all time field goal % than Steph "the best shooter in NBA history" Curry has. When your utterly unable to complete a pass over 10 yards the coach only calls screen passes and dump offs which leads to a high completion % and few interceptions but also a 1-11 record.

The years Kaepernick had success were the read option years. Much like the Wildcat took over the NFL in 2008 the read option took over during Kaep's few good years. Kaep thrived in it as it requires a fast athletic QB who might run or pass on any given play and your accuracy wasn't that important as the system was designed to get receivers WIDE open. But just like the Wildcat defenses figured it out and suddenly accuracy became a thing again and Kaepernick is wildly inaccurate and struggled. If you don't get the comparison - Shaq only shot dunks and layups which are high percentage and rarely shot from range just Kaep only completed passes in the end from short range.

That said even today Kaepernick could probably make a team as a backup QB. But so could Tim Tebow. Problem is that both are meteoric media distractions though for completely opposite reasons. No team is going to put up with such a distraction unless your good enough to make it worth it. Aka why domestic batterer Ezekiel Ellitiot and woman shover Kareem Hunt are on teams as well as kneeling from day one Kenny Stills. Kaepernick and Tebow though were at best backup quality and not worth the distraction.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Kaepernick went 1-11 his last year as a starter. He sucked. He only managed 5 total yards passing the last game before he was benched for good. But his completion percentage those who don't understand football will say: his completion % was high for the same reason Shaquille "Hack a Shaq" O'Neal has a higher all time field goal % than Steph "the best shooter in NBA history" Curry has. When your utterly unable to complete a pass over 10 yards the coach only calls screen passes and dump offs which leads to a high completion % and few interceptions but also a 1-11 record.

The years Kaepernick had success were the read option years. Much like the Wildcat took over the NFL in 2008 the read option took over during Kaep's few good years. Kaep thrived in it as it requires a fast athletic QB who might run or pass on any given play and your accuracy wasn't that important as the system was designed to get receivers WIDE open. But just like the Wildcat defenses figured it out and suddenly accuracy became a thing again and Kaepernick is wildly inaccurate and struggled. If you don't get the comparison - Shaq only shot dunks and layups which are high percentage and rarely shot from range just Kaep only completed passes in the end from short range.

That said even today Kaepernick could probably make a team as a backup QB. But so could Tim Tebow. Problem is that both are meteoric media distractions though for completely opposite reasons. No team is going to put up with such a distraction unless your good enough to make it worth it. Aka why domestic batterer Ezekiel Ellitiot and woman shover Kareem Hunt are on teams as well as kneeling from day one Kenny Stills. Kaepernick and Tebow though were at best backup quality and not worth the distraction.
    Actually we can pull up Kaepernick's numbers and stats from 2016 fully to see if your claim is true. That he couldn't complete passes over 10 yards etc

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...epCo00&yr=2016

This has all his 2016 starts.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    Except now he's getting paid. If he wants his second contract to be as massive as it can be he won't dog it.

If he didn't care about football he would have held out of training camp.
    A leopard doesn't change his spots. Bosa wanted paid, he got paid. He cares as much about football as JaMarcus Russell did. He's not going to get a big second contract. The biggest ability in football is availability, the one ability Bosa has never had and never will. I will honestly be shocked if his fifth year option is even picked up.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

A leopard doesn't change his spots. Bosa wanted paid, he got paid. He cares as much about football as JaMarcus Russell did. He's not going to get a big second contract. The biggest ability in football is availability, the one ability Bosa has never had and never will. I will honestly be shocked if his fifth year option is even picked up.

-M
    Lucky for the 49ers , Russell's deal ended up making things change for the last CBA due to how much he got paid (close to $40 million guaranteed). Bosa luckily for the 49ers won't cost them that much.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Actually we can pull up Kaepernick's numbers and stats from 2016 fully to see if your claim is true. That he couldn't complete passes over 10 yards etc

They pretty much say he was able to throw the ball effectively, but without much else, the Niners were gonna suck that season. Heck, he had two games where he averaged over 10 years per pass.

I don't want to play devil's advocate or anything but... did the 49ers even have anyone for him to throw to at WR that year? I thought they have been lean at that position since Crabtree and Boldin left town.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I don't want to play devil's advocate or anything but... did the 49ers even have anyone for him to throw to at WR that year? I thought they have been lean at that position since Crabtree and Boldin left town.
    Yeah things went south at the WR position for awhile. In fact they signed Torrey Smith during this time to be their big play #1 WR and he was injured a lot and barely saw the ball. In fact their leading WRs in 2016 was Jeremy Kerley who is now out of the NFL at 30 and who had only 1 season at averaging over at 12 yards per catch . That season saw him get over 800+ yards and it was in 2012 with NY Jets.

The other WR was Quinton Patton who also is out of the league after 4 seasons. His last season was....2016. His best season was 2016 but he too is a career average at 12 yards a catch WR.

So factoring that these 2 led the WR corps in 2016 for Colin Kaepernick , and both aren't deep threats and didn't scare defenses much ...its more a testament that Kaepernick was able to produce something in this 49ers passing game. The best player the 49ers had during this was in fact Carlos Hyde who was 12 yards shy of 1,000+ yards rushing in 2016 and he missed 3 games that season.

So yeah this was the 49ers in 2016.

Remember how silly the Redskins were last season in signing a guy who had been out of the league for 4 years all due to the fact Daniel Snyder didn't want to piss off Donald Trump by signing Colin Kaepernick ? Remember how big a disaster it was as the guy (Josh Johnson) struggled and this move literally made the Redskins lose the division they were ahead of ?

Today comically the Detroit Lions decided to sign Johnson as a backup , even as they were working out Landry Jones before this. At this stage Josh Johnson has to be some kind of stupid signing wherever he goes. Because its one thing to not sign Colin Kaepernick. But when your actually passing on younger alternative who backed up Ben Rothlisberger for 4-5 seasons so you can sign Josh Johnson and tell people he seriously could be your 2nd string QB....its more comedy.

Look GM's in the NFL. Your not proving anything employing Josh Johnson at this point. Its more of a laugh we share. The Redskins became jokes and Mike Patricia your not Bill Belichick and gonna get gold from this.

Remember how silly the Redskins were last season in signing a guy who had been out of the league for 4 years all due to the fact Daniel Snyder didn't want to piss off Donald Trump by signing Colin Kaepernick ? Remember how big a disaster it was as the guy (Josh Johnson) struggled and this move literally made the Redskins lose the division they were ahead of ?

Today comically the Detroit Lions decided to sign Johnson as a backup , even as they were working out Landry Jones before this. At this stage Josh Johnson has to be some kind of stupid signing wherever he goes. Because its one thing to not sign Colin Kaepernick. But when your actually passing on younger alternative who backed up Ben Rothlisberger for 4-5 seasons so you can sign Josh Johnson and tell people he seriously could be your 2nd string QB....its more comedy.

Look GM's in the NFL. Your not proving anything employing Josh Johnson at this point. Its more of a laugh we share. The Redskins became jokes and Mike Patricia your not Bill Belichick and gonna get gold from this.
    Partly I wonder how many GMs already have orders to not even look at Kaep from the owner. Otherwise I can't see at least one not attempting to kick the tires.
    Dark does not mean deep.

-M
    So you're insinuating that no one ever changes? Bosa is who he is at 21 years old? That's kind of shortsighted isn't it? Bosa realistically has an entire life ahead of him full of many experiences.

Yeah Bosa got paid on his first contract. Like every other player in the NFL, he'll want to cash in on his second, and make as much as possible. Only way to do that is hard work, which Bosa has been doing. There was never a narrative throughout the draft process that Bosa didn't care about football. The comparison to Russell is unfounded. Russell held out all of training camp as a rookie, and into the first week of the regular season. Bosa was in camp on time, and so far his effort hasn't come into question at all.

It's one thing if he has nagging injuries, which might cut his career short. However, to claim he's dogging it out there, especially now that he's in the pros, is a little nutty given what has actually transpired. Also, dragging out injuries is another take that just has zero proof to it.

The only major red flag on Bosa as a person was that he made some tweets a few years back that may have rubbed people that wrong way within the social/political landscape.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 08-10-2019 at 11:37 PM.

In shocking deal , Reid started Mahomes and Kelce last night in preseason as Mahomes did his usual performance. In fact Mahomes took off on a scramble and admitted had this been a regular season game he dives into the endzone for a TD. Hardman showcased some skills in how Reid used him like a Tyreek Hill last night. What is scary is KC could have 2 versions of Tyreek Hill now lining up in formations.

Just when you think the Raiders can't become anymore of a side show attraction ; a report from Nathan Silver claims that Antonio Brown has only practiced twice this off season with the Raiders and blew off other practices. Some for his feet where he didn't wear proper footwork into the lab and it caused his feet to get frost bit and now his helmet issue where he has demanded to wear his old helmet as the league wants players to use updated helmets.

Jon Gruden decided to basically put his lips on Brown's ass defending him to reporters knowing his big trade and money spent has to happen. But as of right now the team is in a WTF state where the star WR won't show up at all.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Partly I wonder how many GMs already have orders to not even look at Kaep from the owner. Otherwise I can't see at least one not attempting to kick the tires.
    I more than suspect that's the case. Teams can't use the excuse that Kaepernick hasn't played for three years now as an excuse after the Johnson signing. This is all about owners fearful of pissing off Trump and/or their fan base by bringing in Kaepernick. Has he been blackballed by the league because of his political stance? No one will publicly admit it, but yeah, he has.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I more than suspect that's the case. Teams can't use the excuse that Kaepernick hasn't played for three years now as an excuse after the Johnson signing. This is all about owners fearful of pissing off Trump and/or their fan base by bringing in Kaepernick. Has he been blackballed by the league because of his political stance? No one will publicly admit it, but yeah, he has.
    Years from now the NFL will see people look back with disdain at this. The Redskins and others will be thrown hard under the bus as GM's then will point to the Johnson signing as a WTF deal ? The guy hadn't started a game since 2011. He was out of the league for 4 seasons.