Page 67 of 80 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1195
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Repeat after me: STAR PLAYER.

Kareem Hunt, one of those domestic abusers, was one of the top RB's in the league. Being a star player gets you second chances. It may not be fair but its reality. Kaepernick hadn't been a star player for a couple of seasons and his glory days disappeared with Jim Harbaugh and the read option offense.

Yes they are watching Hill but he's still on the team because he's a superstar. If his name was Byron Pringle or Marcus Kemp (bubble WR's on the Chiefs this year) he'd be a free agent and no other team would touch him.

BTW you brought up how some teams still run it - they run it on some plays. In the glory Kaep years the 49ers ran it most plays and good for them. It was effective at the time just like the Wildcat was effective for about two seasons. Now you only see occasional read option plays just like you only now see occasional wildcat plays. When Kaep had to start running a conventional offense where he had to read the defense and move beyond his first read he struggled because he is an inaccurate QB who struggles to read defenses.
    Notice a trend though , teams will sign abusive pricks who break the law at times and float excuses when it becomes a media distraction. Hell here people were angry Kansas City didn't cut Hill before this. But as brought up ; the Chiefs really couldn't cut Hill and not have him file a grievance with NFLPA and not have proof beyond a doubt he did this. But a team would suddenly sign him ala Cleveland or Washington and go "We will work with him and help him change his life around..."

Kaepernick himself isn't a terrible player no matter what anyone says. He's not Drew Brees level or anywhere close to that. But he's a B player in the league and hell , that 49ers team that went 1-11 in games he started. As pointed out the starting WR's are no longer in NFL. They both never averaged beyond 12 yards a catch and the other best player was Carlos Hyde and he missed 3 games. The guy who performed worse than Kaepernick was...Blaine Gabbert that season.

Here is Gabbert's numbers in 2016 with that same team....

91/160 925 yards 5 TD's 6 Ints 68.4 QB Rating.

Why is Blaine Gabbert a backup right now ? He had the same offense and players Kaepernick had. Why is Kaepernick's numbers better ?

Again , the whole , Colin Kaepernick can't possibly learn an offense is silly. He's already had 2-3 systems cycle through with 49ers and as a backup QB he could still do it. He's not just a Read option guy.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Get ready for mentions of things that occur in West Virginia pub bathrooms... it's... "Why Your Team Sucks: The Pittsburgh Steelers"

From the Steelers fans:
    It's not surprising that an NFL quarterback would be the living caricature of a fratboy douchebag, but it's saying a whole lot about how bad it's gotten that he actually gets called out for this and is despised by the public for it, whereas for most successful (white) players you wouldn't hear a peep about any of it. I mean, Peyton Manning did some vile **** while at Tennessee and no one ever paid it any mind.

I had always wondered if Kansas City had did a Hard Knocks. Well they did....its from 2007. There was a lot of change at the time in Kansas City then. One of the things for years that Carl Peterson as GM had done was keep bringing in older veterans to keep KC around to compete. But it was in 2006 that Herm Edwards as coach suggested they blow it up and change paths. That KC needed to build through the draft and go young to do this.

You could see the time and stress on Peterson here as he was undertaking a rebuild for Kansas City.

- Yes this is Paul Rudd narrating it.

- Herm Edwards would sadly be gone by 2008 and wouldn't coach again for a decade. He's now a college coach.

- Damon Huard which is a feel good story of a backup QB who finally got his time to shine in KC in 2006 ; would get injured that season and next.

- Brodie Croyle who wanted to be a starter never could really get the position. Injuries and a trade for Cassel ended this.

- Priest Holmes attempted comeback sadly ended in 2007. He started in mid-season and re-injured his neck , ending his career.

- Boomer Grigsby who was a fan favorite for his name and antics as we see , did become a FB. He would end up playing in Miami in 2008.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

I remember Brodie's derogatory fan nickname "Tinfoil Croyle." He was slightly less durable than the stuff.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I remember Brodie's derogatory fan nickname "Tinfoil Croyle." He was slightly less durable than the stuff.
    The Chiefs were so hesitant for years to draft a QB in the 1st rd. In fact during Carl Peterson's entire run as General Manager for 20+ seasons he never drafted a 1st string QB. In fact here was the QB's he drafted.

1989 - #2 - Mike Elkins
    1992 - #2 - Matt Blundin
    1994 - #7 - Steve Matthews
    1995 - #4 - Steve Stenstrom
    1997 - #4 - Pat Barnes
    2005 - #7 - James Kilian
    2006 - #3 - Brodie Croyle

Peterson by some miracle managed through trades and free agency to find QB's for this team through 2 decades. Because his QB's drafted...NONE of them was successful. All of them was busts. Also I get the sense KC was scared to attempt drafting a QB. They came close once in 2007 and nearly drafted Brady Quinn. It was said Peterson had Quinn and Bowe on his draft board. As it looked like Quinn was gonna fall to Kansas City , the Browns traded up saving the Chiefs that move in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The Chiefs were so hesitant for years to draft a QB in the 1st rd. In fact during Carl Peterson's entire run as General Manager for 20+ seasons he never drafted a 1st string QB. In fact here was the QB's he drafted.

1989 - #2 - Mike Elkins
    1992 - #2 - Matt Blundin
    1997 - #4 - Pat Barnes
    2005 - #7 - James Kilian

Peterson by some miracle managed through trades and free agency to find QB's for this team through 2 decades. Because his QB's drafted...NONE of them was successful. All of them was busts. Also I get the sense KC was scared to attempt drafting a QB. They came close once in 2007 and nearly drafted Brady Quinn. It was said Peterson had Quinn and Bowe on his draft board. As it looked like Quinn was gonna fall to Kansas City , the Browns traded up saving the Chiefs that move in 2007.
    What was the statistic for years... the Chiefs hadn't won a game with a QB they drafted from 1987-2017. Todd Blackledge was drafted in '83 and won a game in '87. Until Mahomes won a game for them in 2017... 30 years.

It was a statistical anomaly, really.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 08-17-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

1989 - #2 - Mike Elkins
    1992 - #2 - Matt Blundin
    1997 - #4 - Pat Barnes
    2005 - #7 - James Kilian

I always wondered if Quinn failed so hard because he just couldn't cut it, or if it was because he was on the Browns during the Factory of Sadness days. It's a moot point now, though. He's been out for years and the idiots driving the Browns 6 feet under are also long gone.
    Dark does not mean deep.

What was the statistic for years... the Chiefs hadn't won a game with a QB they drafted from 1987-2017. Todd Blackledge was drafted in '83 and won a game in '87. Until Mahomes won a game for them in 2017... 30 years.

It was a statistical anomaly, really.
    They hadn't drafted a 1st round QB since Todd Blackedge and was seemingly stung by this for 33 years. 3 times they were gonna likely end this idea. I mentioned above with Brady Quinn. The next season or 2009 when Matt Ryan was coming out , KC selected 2-3 picks down. If Atlanta didn't pick Ryan the Chiefs were more than likely to select him. Then years later Andy Reid had worked out Paxton Lynch . The Chiefs didn't select til late in 1st rd or early 2nd. Denver saw this and jumped ahead of them.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

After losing second string QB Nate Sudfeld to a broken wrist last Thursday, then third string Cody Kessler to a concussion two nights ago, the Eagles lured 40 year old Josh McCown out of retirement and signed him to a one year deal this morning.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    After losing second string QB Nate Sudfeld to a broken wrist last Thursday, then third string Cody Kessler to a concussion two nights ago, the Eagles lured 40 year old Josh McCown out of retirement and signed him to a one year deal this morning.
    See, McCown is a quality backup who has won some games wherever he's been in that role, and not some "never-was" like Josh Johnson last year. He might not be Kaep, but he's a solid pickup given their circumstances.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

See, McCown is a quality backup who has won some games wherever he's been in that role, and not some "never-was" like Josh Johnson last year. He might not be Kaep, but he's a solid pickup given their circumstances.
    The Eagles will also be his 9th team - he's certainly had to learn different systems over his career, so there shouldn't be any question of his ability to learn another to backup levels. And I can't answer as to whether or not he has played for anyone currently on the Eagles at one of his earlier stops.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The Eagles will also be his 9th team - he's certainly had to learn different systems over his career, so there shouldn't be any question of his ability to learn another to backup levels. And I can't answer as to whether or not he has played for anyone currently on the Eagles at one of his earlier stops.
    EXACTLY and they talked him about coming back after he declared retirement 2 weeks ago. At least he last took a snap within a year. The Eagles won't get mocked for some decision making process here. Unlike the Redskins and Lions this season (passing on a younger veteran QB who last took snaps behind Ben Rothlisberger to sign Johnson as some pathetic Belichick type move...that will backfire if Stafford gets injured) .

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Many years ago, someone on the old incarnation of this forum said that Matt Stafford had a cannon for an arm and a cannonball for a brain, and by God, that quote has stuck with me ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post

Many years ago, someone on the old incarnation of this forum said that Matt Stafford had a cannon for an arm and a cannonball for a brain, and by God, that quote has stuck with me ever since.
    Maybe the wayback machine can find it. Would love to know who said that one. Because a few of us were members of the forums before the reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post

Sounds like an interesting variant of the old 'million dollar arm, ten cent head' line.
    Dark does not mean deep.