Page 7 of 80 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Definitely takes the wind out of the sails of what I thought that, at least on paper, were some good coaching hires after the debacle the Broncos have had there. But I'll leave the spinning of this lateral move at best to other Broncos fans, because I can't do it, lol.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't get this. Keenum and Flacco at this point are basically the same QB.
    There's already talk that if Denver cuts Keenum, Arizona might sign him to a friendlier deal than $18M a year and let him compete to be the backup.

Because... Case Keenum knows Kliff Kingsbury's system.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

So with shocking potential releases ahead in a couple weeks a big shocking move may happen in Kansas City. The Chiefs could let Justin Houston go unless he takes a big pay cut. Houston is due $21.1 million against the cap this season. Why would the Chiefs possibly let Houston go ? Several factors.

- KC's new defense is gonna be a 4-3 scheme with Dee Ford mentioned as the key off-season target to keep tagged. The Chiefs will more or less move him to DE in this new scheme and let him rush the passer more or less. Houston would be asked to be the other pass rushing DE possibly .

- The Chiefs have 3 big free agents ahead in the next 2 seasons . Tyreek Hill , Chris Jones (who had a monster season as a DT) and Patrick Mahomes. All 3 are NEED free agents ahead. Also add in Dee Ford so the Chiefs have 4 guys who they need to sign to long term deals in the next 2+ seasons.

- The sad simple fact is Justin Houston isn't the same player who once destroyed QB's with 22 sacks in a season and could take over games literally ala Derrick Thomas. He's battled injury issues and is now 30 years old. He's not hit double figures in sacks since that season and has missed 21 games from 2015-2018. At 30 years old and with a high cap number ; Houston is now expendable.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Fantastic Member

This is the only Super Bowl appearance by the New England Patriots I can think of where other teams won't be raiding the New England roster. Trey Flowers DL and Hightower LB I believe are free agents but both are solid but not star players. I'm use to the Pats losing 3 major contributors per Super Bowl appearance through free agency.

Extraordinary Member

I don’t want to hear about Kaepernick anymore.

The AAF reached out for him to play and the AP is reporting that he asked for 20 million or more to consider it. This is after the Seahawks couldn’t pull off a deal with him a year ago and the Ravens backed off after his girlfriend called the owner a slave master.

He’s not black balled. He’s not interested in playing. He’s more relevant being a fake martyr

Clear admission of guilt from the league regarding Kaepernick. Everyone who hated Kaep for no good reason will surely come around now.
    When I was seventeen,
    I drank some very good beer,
    I drank some very good beer
    I purchased with a fake ID.

My name was Brian McGee,
    I stayed up listenin' to Queen
    When I was seventeen.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Clear admission of guilt from the league regarding Kaepernick. Everyone who hated Kaep for no good reason will surely come around now.
    I don’t think you know what a settlement means.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I don’t think you know what a settlement means.
    NFL admitted fault.

NFL agreed to collusion amongst owners. Patriots, Panthers, and Steelers only 3 teams that refused to collude.

NFL agreed to a settlement to avoid losing in court.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    NFL admitted fault.

NFL agreed to collusion amongst owners. Patriots, Panthers, and Steelers only 3 teams that refused to collude.

NFL agreed to a settlement to avoid losing in court.
    None of this is true. You are just making things up to falsely confirm you story. It was settlement with an NDA. There's hundreds of reasons why both sides would prefer to settle.

Both sides settled but this was ongoing for months to settle the suit case. One site reportedly claims the settlement the NFL gave with Kaepernick was $60-80 million. No idea if that money figure is true but there is a NDA and it will be years before its revealed exactly what went into the settlement and how much Kaepernick was paid.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

None of this is true. You are just making things up to falsely confirm you story. It was settlement with an NDA. There's hundreds of reasons why both sides would prefer to settle.
    Well, then people should stop listening to Reid's lawyer then. He's the one running his mouth with an NDA.

Also, the NFL appointed arbitrator ruled that he would allow Kaepernick’s grievance to proceed to an official trial phase, stating those 3 teams not agreeing with other owners to collude to not sign them and other players. Kraft, a league official, and another owner not named agreed to appear at witnesses for the plantiffs. Reid and Kaep had offered a settlement prior to going to trial, in which it included the NFL admitting fault, conceding collusion, and stating the teams (which was listed at 8 in the brief) that did not particpiate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/s...-case-nfl.html
    https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2/...ase-settlement
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...nick-eric-reid
    http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/n...q14v5ezexmzy7y
    https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...est-settlement

You hardly ever see the side (Reid/Kaep) with the advantage concede a win.

Arbitrator that was in place to back up the NFL sided against them, just like in DeflateGate, just like in the head traumas, etc.

NFL is on an epic court losing streak.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

What really , really hurt the league likely hit that fall when Washington lost 2 QB's and in the span of weeks decided to sign a guy who hadn't played in years and claimed he knew the system after only being with Jay Gruden a season years earlier. It was like waiving a flag going ...YES...YES WERE GUILTY....Not only did Washington lose the NFC East due to this they lost a lot of respect around the league when they signed a domestic abuser over Kaepernick.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Well, then people should stop listening to Reid's lawyer then. He's the one running his mouth with an NDA.

Also, the NFL appointed arbitrator ruled that he would allow Kaepernick’s grievance to proceed to an official trial phase, stating those 3 teams not agreeing with other owners to collude to not sign them and other players. Kraft, a league official, and another owner not named agreed to appear at witnesses for the plantiffs. Reid and Kaep had offered a settlement prior to going to trial, in which it included the NFL admitting fault, conceding collusion, and stating the teams (which was listed at 8 in the brief) that did not particpiate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/s...-case-nfl.html
    https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2/...ase-settlement
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...nick-eric-reid
    http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/n...q14v5ezexmzy7y
    https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...est-settlement

You hardly ever see the side (Reid/Kaep) with the advantage concede a win.

Arbitrator that was in place to back up the NFL sided against them, just like in DeflateGate, just like in the head traumas, etc.

NFL is on an epic court losing streak.
    No side admitted fault in this settlement. And yes the NFL and Kaep's team decided to settle. Even if you take the absolutely highest end of money reported, it's a joke compared to what a starting QB would make over 3-4 years in the league and far less than what he would have likely made if he stayed in the NFL.

NFL won the deflategate case btw.

My opinion? NFL expected this to get thrown out and then when it got set to go to trial they faced the reality that all their owners were about to be exposes in a lengthy discovery process and feared that there'd be something embarassing or damaging that could ruin an owners reputation in either an email or text if any transcripts leaked and it would have been something so unprecedented for the ownership of the league to go through that they paid Kaep basically 3-4 years of starting QB money to go away and not deal with the headache.

Incidentally several of the links you provided speculate as much tbh. It was more about the NFL wanting to avoid a discovery process that could unearth things far more damaging than Kaeps grievance. In the grand scheme of things, even the worst case scenario of a Kaep trial win amounts to basically nothing for the NFL financially.

No side admitted fault in this settlement. And yes the NFL and Kaep's team decided to settle. Even if you take the absolutely highest end of money reported, it's a joke compared to what a starting QB would make over 3-4 years in the league and far less than what he would have likely made if he stayed in the NFL.
    If that money figure is correct then , Kaepernick at 31 made a lot of guaranteed money for no work. Its like Alex Smith who will bank at least $70+ million if he never plays another down in the NFL as a starting QB in this last deal. Yes a number of super star QB's like Brees , Manning etc made $25-30 million a season but Kaepernick's last deal was $17 million for a season. He would be coming in as a backup by most expectations and not make that salary now.

NFL won the deflategate case btw.
    They didn't win with science or anything else. Goodell refused to take in scientific knowledge that cold air can cause deflation as well as the unbelievable belief an equipment guy suddenly did a Mission Impossible and managed to delfate a sack of balls in less than 2-3 minutes and get them back to the field. Without really anyone noticing. Deflategate is considered a massive joke on the league.

My opinion? NFL expected this to get thrown out and then when it got set to go to trial they faced the reality that all their owners were about to be exposes in a lengthy discovery process and feared that there'd be something embarassing or damaging that could ruin an owners reputation in either an email or text if any transcripts leaked and it would have been something so unprecedented for the ownership of the league to go through that they paid Kaep basically 3-4 years of starting QB money to go away and not deal with the headache.

Incidentally several of the links you provided speculate as much tbh. It was more about the NFL wanting to avoid a discovery process that could unearth things far more damaging than Kaeps grievance. In the grand scheme of things, even the worst case scenario of a Kaep trial win amounts to basically nothing for the NFL financially.

If the league had a pure win case they would not have worked a settlement deal and not one giving someone who likely would be a backup QB now $60-80 million possibly to go away. They fought this til as we saw that in court various teams would be brought up over the last 2+ seasons and Reid had a 1st hand account when Mike Brown had him come in for a tryout and brought up the kneeling during the anthem as some key part of signing him.

These situations likely made the NFL nervous so they had to make a deal happen to hope things would go on. But giving a guy starter money when he's basically gonna become a backup at his age and all...not a win at all.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    What really , really hurt the league likely hit that fall when Washington lost 2 QB's and in the span of weeks decided to sign a guy who hadn't played in years and claimed he knew the system after only being with Jay Gruden a season years earlier. It was like waiving a flag going ...YES...YES WERE GUILTY....Not only did Washington lose the NFC East due to this they lost a lot of respect around the league when they signed a domestic abuser over Kaepernick.
    Not really either. What people seem not to understand about the case is that any individual owner could have legitimately said "I'm not signing Kaep because he kneeled for the anthem and I don't care if he can help my team or if we really need him". The only way Kaep wins if he can prove several of the owners got together as a collective and made a pack behind the scenes to blackball him. Which is much harder to prove and honestly doesn't seem likely. It seems likely that it caused such a problem that nobody wanted to put up with the headache and that he wasn't good enough anymore to justify the backlash a team signing him would have gotten and that it was implicitly understood that he was just too much of a distraction for most teams.

Washington's probably the worst example tbh because they just ran a guy that was universally seen as one of the promising young QB's in the league (Cousins) out of town over petty squabling.

The reality with Kaep is this. Right or wrong he's the most divisive potential NFL player, owners know that a lot of fans are going to rebel against them for signing him, the team will have outside media scrutiny and distractions, if you sign him as a back up the media is going to be going on and on about when will he be given a chance to start, quite frankly he really showed that he excells in one particular NFL system that isn't transferable across the league and that he can't win without it, so if you get Kaep you either need to have that system in place or you need to commit to building it to get any value out of him. Most teams don't want to commit to that anyways, Kaepernick became an albatross and the costs to get him weren't worth what he potentially brought to the table.

Nobody really thinks Cam Newton would be blackballed from the league if he did the exact same thing. He's just too good and brings too much value to a team. Kaep was struggling and he committed the cardinal sin of not being valuable enough to rock the boat and be tolerated. Kaep at this point in his career is not a franchise starting QB anymore. He's just not. He's a back up at worst, a place filler at worst. Most teams don't want the guy on the bench or the guy they are using to get by with until they find the real franchise guy to be a headline generator much less the biggest NFL story of the last few years. That's just reality.

Some teams were willing too. Baltimore and Seattle were both great locations for him. They couldn't get a deal done. There was no way he was going to be anything but Wilson's back up in Seattle and his girlfriend screwed up the Baltimore deal for him. The reality is there's limited opportunities in the NFL. 32 to be exact. When you cut out the teams that are set at QB, you're talking less than half the league and even less that are desperate enough for a QB like Washington was this year.