Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'll admit I feel Artemis is at her best when she isn't with Wally.

Which of these names would you take as an alternate to Artemis? Noelle or Alison?

I picked these named because of their French origin and if we go by the idea that Artemis is part Vietnamese, the French still have an influence in that country.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Which of these names would you take as an alternate to Artemis? Noelle or Alison?

I picked these named because of their French origin and if we go by the idea that Artemis is part Vietnamese, the French still have an influence in that country.
    Noelle sounds more distinct but Allison is more plain which might help Artemis blend in.

Anyone think the reason Artemis has been left out of the comics is because writers might only see her as a Wally love interest?

Kon93

Anyone think the reason Artemis has been left out of the comics is because writers might only see her as a Wally love interest?

OR because DC creates young female archers every time you turn around.

And yeah I want her to show up and be apart of the YJ team, along with mgan, kaldur, Jamie, and static if he is allowed to be.then add some classic YJ comic characters like empress, etc

Astonishing Member

She's mostly in a weird situation. The Arrow Family already has lots of female archers and Artemis isn't really a GA character, she's a "young justice" character and Young Justice is a different thing in the comics. Emiko basically ticks off all the Artemis boxes in everything that isn't a team setting, and she's got no fit in a team setting. And sure, the Wally thing would never work in the comics because breaking up Linda and Wally on a long term basis is absolutely the dumbest thing you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    She's mostly in a weird situation. The Arrow Family already has lots of female archers
    There’s just Emiko and Mia from what I remember. Arrowette could count but she was never actually a part of the Arrow family. So if you add Artemis, that would bring the total number of female archers in the Arrow family to three.

and Artemis isn't really a GA character, she's a "young justice" character and Young Justice is a different thing in the comics.
    Well it wouldn’t be the first time GA borrowed from another franchise. Hell, other DC families have used characters not created in their franchises. Aquaman adopted Dolphin as a supporting character and Donna Troy was created for Teen Titans.

Emiko basically ticks off all the Artemis boxes in everything that isn't a team setting, and she's got no fit in a team setting.
    They could put her on the Titans. Roy’s out for now so they could use an archer. Also, I think she and Emiko have enough differences to be in the same setting. The Doom Patrol t.v. series has Cyborg and Robotman and makes them different enough and the Bat family has Cass, Jason and Damian who overlap in some ways but are different enough in others.

And sure, the Wally thing would never work in the comics because breaking up Linda and Wally on a long term basis is absolutely the dumbest thing you can do.
    I’d be fine leaving that relationship out of the comics. I was more interested in her being Jade’s sister.

Astonishing Member

There’s just Emiko and Mia from what I remember. Arrowette could count but she was never actually a part of the Arrow family. So if you add Artemis, that would bring the total number of female archers in the Arrow family to three.

Well it wouldn’t be the first time GA borrowed from another franchise. Hell, other DC families have used characters not created in their franchises. Aquaman adopted Dolphin as a supporting character and Donna Troy was created for Teen Titans.

They could put her on the Titans. Roy’s out for now so they could use an archer. Also, I think she and Emiko have enough differences to be in the same setting. The Doom Patrol t.v. series has Cyborg and Robotman and makes them different enough and the Bat family has Cass, Jason and Damian who overlap in some ways but are different enough in others.

I’d be fine leaving that relationship out of the comics. I was more interested in her being Jade’s sister.
    When your premise is "Yeah, if we just keep this other Archer out of the team they're on she could be on it!" then that really says what I'm saying. She doesn't have a place without booting someone out. Not to mention it'd be weird to throw a YJ character on the Titans and the possible, weird, eventual Wally addition to the team. You'd put the wrong idea in fans' heads.

Artemis' thing is weird because she's unique to a show that has it's own unique amalgamation of characters. She's connected to characters who aren't connected in the comics because they're from different age groups that Weisman pick and chose from for his own creation.

When your premise is "Yeah, if we just keep this other Archer out of the team they're on she could be on it!" then that really says what I'm saying. She doesn't have a place without booting someone out.
    But she wouldn’t be booting anyone out. Like I said, Arrowette was never in the Green Arrow family. She was just the YJ Green Arrow equivalent.

For the record, I'm not against Arrowette in the Arrow family either.

Not to mention it'd be weird to throw a YJ character on the Titans
    In defense of this idea, it wouldn’t be the first time a YJ character was made a Titan.

and the possible, weird, eventual Wally addition to the team. You'd put the wrong idea in fans' heads.
    I’ll just have to make it clear that although this is an adaptation of YJ Artemis, that’s not the direction we’ll be going. It might anger some shippers but such is life.

Artemis' thing is weird because she's unique to a show that has it's own unique amalgamation of characters. She's connected to characters who aren't connected in the comics because they're from different age groups that Weisman pick and chose from for his own creation.
    With DC continuity being what it is now, her connections might not be too difficult to pull off. Jade’s parentage got retconned at least once in the comics, so her being Sportsmaster’s daughter wouldn’t be too odd. Or just have the two be from different fathers but the same mom.
    Like I said, it has some obstacles but I don’t think it’s impossible.

Astonishing Member

But she wouldn’t be booting anyone out. Like I said, Arrowette was never in the Green Arrow family. She was just the YJ Green Arrow equivalent.

For the record, I'm not against Arrowette in the Arrow family either.

In defense of this idea, it wouldn’t be the first time a YJ character was made a Titan.

I’ll just have to make it clear that although this is an adaptation of YJ Artemis, that’s not the direction we’ll be going. It might anger some shippers but such is life.

With DC continuity being what it is now, her connections might not be too difficult to pull off. Jade’s parentage got retconned at least once in the comics, so her being Sportsmaster’s daughter wouldn’t be too odd. Or just have the two be from different fathers but the same mom.
    Like I said, it has some obstacles but I don’t think it’s impossible.
    I feel like if you're reverse adapting then you're essentially advertising that YJ Artemis is good enough to be in the comics. If you go out of your way to make her so different just to make her fit then you lose the impetus for including her in the first place.

It's certainly not impossible, I just don't think anyone will get what they like about Artemis out of it.

I don't think it's because they only see her as a Wally love interest...probably just that, in general, there doesn't seem to be much interest or drive to incorporate her in the main comics.

If she was introduced I would imagine she'd probably be closer in age to Tim's generation then Wally's anyways. But then you've got Mia, Arrowette, and Emiko so not sure where she could fit in as a female archer unless it's...I dunno, as the Red Hood of the Arrow family?

Astonishing Member

Yeah, the Wally Love Interest thing is super bunk. She is not Wally's love interest in YJ -- Wally is Artemis' love interest in YJ. She's the important, central character far moreso than Wally. Having her swap out, or even ignore, love interest if she were to be comic adapted would be fine. She had other stuff going on because she was an important character moreso than YJ Wally.

Yeah, the Wally Love Interest thing is super bunk. She is not Wally's love interest in YJ -- Wally is Artemis' love interest in YJ. She's the important, central character far moreso than Wally. Having her swap out, or even ignore, love interest if she were to be comic adapted would be fine. She had other stuff going on because she was an important character moreso than YJ Wally.
    I don't think the dynamics quite worked out that way, but to each their own .

(Maybe you could retcon her in as one of his flings before Linda, but that's about it).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think the dynamics quite worked out that way, but to each their own .

(Maybe you could retcon her in as one of his flings before Linda, but that's about it).
    Artemis had a clear and important character arc over the course of two seasons and was far more significant in both than Wally. Beyond that their love interest situation was mutual, making Artemis the more central character. It also doesn't hurt that Wally was unimportant enough to die and leave Artemis as a still major character in the third season.

Of the original YJ crew I believe Wally got the least screentime and character development.

Artemis had a clear and important character arc over the course of two seasons and was far more significant in both than Wally. Beyond that their love interest situation was mutual, making Artemis the more central character. It also doesn't hurt that Wally was unimportant enough to die and leave Artemis as a still major character in the third season.

Of the original YJ crew I believe Wally got the least screentime and character development.
    I know you do. I thought they still used him well, if not as well as they could have, but to each their own .