Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know you do. I thought they still used him well, if not as well as they could have, but to each their own .
    Oh, I thought Wally was used just fine. Not every character can be the focus in an ensemble cast. You'll get no complaints out of me on how YJ treats its characters.

I would like an animated series that gave Wally more than the minimal focus on a team but, hey, beggars can't be choosers and YJ is great.

Heck, considering YJ's themes and cast, it's not like you could really adapt Wally's stuff like you could Roy, Dick, or Superboy. Or how you could create with a new character like Artemis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Oh, I thought Wally was used just fine. Not every character can be the focus in an ensemble cast. You'll get no complaints out of me on how YJ treats its characters.

I would like an animated series that gave Wally more than the minimal focus on a team but, hey, beggars can't be choosers and YJ is great.

Heck, considering YJ's themes and cast, it's not like you could really adapt Wally's stuff like you could Roy, Dick, or Superboy. Or how you could create with a new character like Artemis.
    Well, I'd still argue that "minimal focus" thing, but this isn't the thread for that .

I would think with YJ's themes and cast you could totally adapt a lot of Wally's stuff (well, not the Speed Force and Linda, probably, but important character stuff maybe).

Astonishing Member

When you can't adapt Speed Force, Linda, or the Death of Barry being a significant part of his life, all you get left is the inbetween little things.

Minimal focus for the main cast. Every other member had more development and focus. He obviously got more focus than, like, Zatanna or whatever guest star.

Back onto the actual Appreciation of Artemis Crock, I do like how since season 1 she's kind of adapted a different fighting style from all the other non-powered characters. I guess it's closer to Helena Wayne/Bertinelli with the rapid fire crossbow schtick but I still approve of the variety shown.
    Last edited by Dred; 02-26-2019 at 09:33 PM.

I wonder if the decision to make Artemis and Jade sisters was based on their comic counterparts having feline-based monikers. Interestingly enough, the Vietnamese Zodiac has both a tiger and a cat and the sisters are half-Vietnamese.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I wonder if the decision to make Artemis and Jade sisters was based on their comic counterparts having feline-based monikers. Interestingly enough, the Vietnamese Zodiac has both a tiger and a cat and the sisters are half-Vietnamese.
    That's a cool connection .

My pitch for an Artemis and Jade story:

The Tigress & The Cheshire Cat

Synopsis:

Jade Nguyen left a life she'd once known to become a mercenary. She turned her back on her past and never looked back. But now that past is back when the mother she hasn't seen in years comes to her for help.

Artemis Crock lives your typical life as an American teen and as far she's concerned has nothing to be all that excited about. All that changes when she and her father are attacked by a mysterious group of assassins and she learns of secrets her dad isn't telling her. And who is this Jade Nguyen person?

In this version, Jade and Artemis will be half-siblings with Paula being their mother. Jade's father would be a Vietnamese man while Artemis will be Lawrence Crock aka Sportsmaster's daughter. Lawrence will be a villain turned hero who marries Paula and later retires from costumed life. Jade initially became a mercenary to help her and her mother but unfortunately was lost to the life and left Paula alone.

So the Stargirl tv show will have the Paula Brooks version of Tigress played by Joy Osmanski who is Korean-American. This could either be color blind casting, a reference to that other DC show were the character of Tigress is an Asian-American woman or hints that they'll adapt the YJ version of Artemis Crock. Thoughts?

Would anyone be interested in Marjorie Liu writing her?

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    I feel like if you're reverse adapting then you're essentially advertising that YJ Artemis is good enough to be in the comics. If you go out of your way to make her so different just to make her fit then you lose the impetus for including her in the first place.

It's certainly not impossible, I just don't think anyone will get what they like about Artemis out of it.
    How am I making her so different? I included pretty much everything from the cartoon except tge relationship with Wally.

Honestly if Wally and Linda really are done (and if Wally can be salvaged after HiC), I wouldn't mind if they brought Artemis to the comics and hooked those two up. Their relationship was always one of the best in the show.

spoilers:
    And if this BS about Wally joining the Suicide Squad is true, that could be an ideal place for them to meet
    end of spoilers

So some basic ideas of what I'd want out of Artemis in the comics.

- Half-sister to Jade Nguyen. Jade was kidnapped and trafficked when she and Artemis were children but Jade escaped and became an assassin. Artemis reunites with her later and their relationship is rather strained due to different experiences.

- Artemis is the daughter of Lawrence Crock and Paula Nguyen. Lawrence had their mother taken away when she tried to keep Artemis and Jade out of the criminal life and Artemis has been looking for both her and Jade.

- Artemis crossed paths with Roy Harper when she needed help looking for her sister and mother. She became his partner later.

- Artemis is a master martial artist having been trained in numerous fighting styles including muay thai, ninjustu, jeet kune do, vovinam.

- Artemis is a master of the bow and arrow, knives, swords and bolos.

Thoughts?

As part of Artemis' first appearance in Infinity, Inc. #34 (January 1987) with the other members of Injustice Unlimited:

So thoughts on the show teasing Artemis/Will? Personally I hope they don't go that route.

So thoughts on the show teasing Artemis/Will? Personally I hope they don't go that route.
    Same. Its a no go from me.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

This relationship is, at best, really weird.