Default Spider-verse up for best animated picture and Black Panther up for 8 nods!

Marvel is on a roll this year. note spider-verse has aready won best animated film in two other awards shows. Black panther has 8 nods and up for best picture!

What do you guys think of this news?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/video...rtanntp#page=2

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

It's great cred for Marvel regardless of whether Black Panther wins or not and definitely means that Miles and T'Challa will be made (rightfully) more front and center in the comics and beyond. I think Into the Spider Verse has it for certain (though Incredibles 2, Wreck It Ralph 2 and Isle of Dogs were all good movies). Black Panther... really depends on how the winds go. Shape of Water winning last years shows wilder movies can succeed. I think something like Vice, Roma or The Favorite might be critically more viable, but we can always hope.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Nice to see superhero films actually being respected rather than swept away. Personally, I don’t think Black Panther is the best picture but I can respect why it’s up there. As Derek said, it’s great cred regardless.

As for Into the Spiderverse, that should pick up the award easy. It’s winning loads of awards at the minute and I can’t see it missing out on the Oscar either.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    As for Into the Spiderverse, that should pick up the award easy. It’s winning loads of awards at the minute and I can’t see it missing out on the Oscar either.
    It's the fact it's got such a distinctive style for an animated movie, not to mention an engaging lead and supporting cast. I loved Incredibles 2 and Ralph 2 but those were really just treading the same ground.

On a related note will be surprised if Bao doesn't win Best Animated Short.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Glad to see this. Now Marvel has equaled DC in that respect to the Oscar nominations achieved by "The Dark Knight". IMO Heath Ledger's performance was a big factor in that. As the years have gone by, I usually just skim to his scenes in the movie.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Glad to see this. Now Marvel has equaled DC in that respect to the Oscar nominations achieved by "The Dark Knight". IMO Heath Ledger's performance was a big factor in that. As the years have gone by, I usually just skim to his scenes in the movie.
    Agree. Ledger almost IS that movie.

Also avengers is up for best fx.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Agree. Ledger almost IS that movie.
    Almost? I beg to differ ☺