Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Non-Marvel/DC superhero recommendations?

I love Marvel and DC as much as the next guy and will always read them, but I also want to read superhero stories/universe that aren't tied to them and are good, giving us a different taste of what there is to offer. That's why I've been having a particular itch for original superhero universes lately.

The ones I know of are:

Valiant Comics
    Catalyst Prime
    Brilliant Trash
    Invincible
    Wayward*
    Astro City

*not officially classed as superhero by Image, but I hear it's basically one in disguise and with heavy Japanese influences.

What would you guys say about these ones above, and what else would you recommend? I've read some of Astro City and Valiant, and I like it so far. I want to read more to give more light on "alternative" superheroes.

There is so much out there.

Personal favorites of mine include:

Noble Causes/Dynamo 5 by Jay Faerber(writer of New Warriors and Generation X). A little soap-opera-y but good. Published by Image

Green Hornet by Kevin Smith. Pulp-like. Published by Dynamite

Project Superpowers. Old school super-heroics that had a great start but never really pulled everything together. Published by Dynamite

Depending on what you consider a superhero, you may also want to consider:

Lone Ranger by Brett Matthews. Classic Western hero. Published by Dynamite

Hellboy by Mike Mignola. Off-beat hero/demon. Published by Dark Horse

Most of these have been collected and are readily available for purchase at your favorite comic shop!

Enjoy
    Last edited by etrumble; 01-22-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I for sure recommend checking out the Catalyst Prime from Lion Forge, I know it's on your list, but it's an amazing universe, so I can't recommend it enough haha.

Second a new universe is starting soon from Humanoid Comics, lead by writer Mark Waid. It's called H1 and it starts in May with FCBD.

Project Superpowers is one I love too. It can be confusing at times, but I do enjoy the characters.

Back in 2011 Dark Horse launched Project Black Sky, while it's over and done, they still had some great stories, like Ghost. I'm hoping they will bring it back soon haha.
    PLEASE READ CLOAK & DAGGER IN SAVAGE AVENGERS!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. Marvel: Savage Avengers, She Hulk. Dynamite: Vampirella.
    Support Indie Comics: Coffin Comics, Lion Forge, and so much more!!!
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by etrumble View Post
    . . . Green Hornet by Kevin Smith. Pulp-like. Published by Dynamite . . .
    NOTE: I don't think Kevin Smith has been the writer for any Green Hornet series since back in 2010, so you'd have to find those in either back issues, as digital issues, or in collected versions.
    (I don't think Dynamite currently publishes any new Green Hornet series. I believe the most recent one had it's last issue (#5) published back in July.)

Another recommendation for Project Super Powers and the solo books (Black Terror. Devil. Masquerade). Dark Horse Black Sky (Capt Midnight. Ghost. X. Brain Boy). Dark Horse Black Hammer by Lemire (several series).

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Jeff Lemire's Black Hammer stuff is worth the price of admission.

All-New Member

There is also Savage Dragon by Erik Larsen

As Flash Gordon says, Black Hammer is very good.

C.O.W.L. is really good too. There are only 2 trades worth of content but I liked it a lot.
    Last edited by FluffySheep; 01-23-2019 at 07:01 AM.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

The manga My Hero Academia is probably my favourite superhero series going on right now. It is definitely worth checking out, especially if you are a fan of anything superhero related.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    As Flash Gordon says, Black Hammer is very good.

C.O.W.L. is really good too. There are only 2 trades worth of content but I liked it a lot.
    Seconding the recommendation for COWL, it's basically about superheroes and villains unionising into two separate labour unions. Good artwork too.

Black Hammer I couldn't get into from reading 2 issues, it seemed a bit too in love with 'being meta' for my tastes, but I'm clearly a minority who thinks that way here, so might be worth giving a try at least.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Jerry Ordway's Wildstar is definitely worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by kantor View Post
    There is also Savage Dragon by Erik Larsen
    And I totally agree with your choice of Savage Dragon. At the time, Larsen's part of the Image Universe was always enjoyable. I especially love his collaboration with Keith Giffen on Freak Force.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-26-2019 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Made a correction.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

There are a number of Valiant titles I wholly endorse.
    X-O Manowar
    Ninjak
    Bloodshot
    Harbinger
    Rai

Dynamite has done some really great stuff with Green Hornet. The volume 1 modern tale started by Kevin Smith and going up to, I think, #36 was solid overall. The 5-issue mini that followed deserved to be an ongoing imo. I really like that they took the bold move of making the orig Kato's daughter(Mulan) the GH herself. While I've yet to read them I understand Mark Waid did some good work on various GH books set in the past.

IDW and their TMNT universe is worthy of a read. I have nothing but great things to say there. A great blend of variations of the TMNT legacy have rolled out and issue #90 just came out yesterday.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Boom Studio's Power Rangers, specifically the Shattered Grid event but all of it has been fantastic. Currently their are two titles running Mighty Morpin Power Rangers and Go Go Power Rangers. Both have been great. Mighty Morphin is the original 6 ranger team in present day until Shattered Grid then we get a new team made up of rangers from several seasons and suprisingly it has worked well. Go Go Power Rangers is the original 5 before the green ranger showed up.

Ahoy comic's The Wrong Earth. This is essentially what if Adam West or Silver age Batman type hero switched worlds with his modern day more violent counterpart. Can't recommend it enough.

IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I am reading this one in back issues so I'm not current but I've liked everything so far. It finds a good balance between the darker original comic roots and the Turtles from the various animated shows.

Valiant comic's Quantum and Woody. Another one I'm reading in back issues and it's just fun. If you are a fan of things like Deadpool I would give this book a shot.

Black Mask's Space Riders. Think Star Wars meets Cowboy Bebop. Just the look and feel of the world this book creates makes it worth checking out.
    Last edited by comicstar100; 01-31-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

If you want to try material that doesn't have current fare coming out but is recent I'd also recommend the following super hero books from Dark Horse.

Ghost
    X
    Captain Midnight

The TPBs are likely still out there.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Black Hammer, Hellboy and The Umbrella Academy are must-reads in my humble opinion.
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them